Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we need to be worried about Climate Change?
Yes 24 48.98%
No 25 51.02%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:15 AM

29,502 posts, read 19,602,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfront Factory View Post
Standard bullcrap spruiked by the AGW terrorists. Here it was that the dams in the capital cities will run out and we'll have no water and that the sea will flood coastal towns by 2010
I agree with you. The model simulations are 100% bull and should not be "published" as if they have any validity. Pure alarmism. You would think that after 100 years of co2 induced warming, that the number of 90F/32C degree days would be showing a positive trend here...

This trend certainly does NOT add validity to that study I cited above.

and here are the last 8 years of 90F/32C+ days

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 07:27 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Yawn. I've tried the condensation method before. I produced very little water that way. Not enough for drinking, let alone for things like washing clothes and dishes. Even in the humid Caribbean, where fresh water is restricted, people often have to resort to rain water collecting instead, not to mention the expensive desalination plants that provide for the hotels. Don't even get me started on desert climates.

The issue of livable space will also become a huge problem in the future. In essence, we're screwed.
Condensation is just part of it. I have done it with a system that can be built for less than $500.00 and it produced twenty to sixty gallons per day. I am not an engineer and if I can figure out a way to do it 50% of the population should be able to do it. When the SHTF I will be drinking fresh water.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:41 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
[quote=BullochResident;42302132]Yawn. I've tried the condensation method before. I produced very little water that way. Not enough for drinking, let alone for things like washing clothes and dishes. Even in the humid Caribbean, where fresh water is restricted, people often have to resort to rain water collecting instead, not to mention the expensive desalination plants that provide for the hotels. Don't even get me started on desert climates.

The issue of livable space will also become a huge problem in the future. In essence, we're screwed."

I see you live in Georgia BullochResident. Next summer when You have your air conditioner running rig up a water collection system on your condenser coils. Let me know how many gallons you collect.

A friend I know lived next to an 8 plex apartment complex. He had a small garden next to the 8Plex that he needed water for. He was an over the road trucker and only made it home on weekends so daily watering of his garden was a problem. He worked out a deal with the property management of the 8plex that allowed him to collect the water from the roof top AC units. He collected this condensation runoff in plastic 55 gallon barrels that he built in his watering system. Even though that was a really dry summer he told me his system collected enough water to irrigate his garden and allow him enough to wash his rig every weekend.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:27 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,304 times
I think global warming is mostly caused by humans. No, I'm not really worried, only about mild boring winters

Old 12-19-2015, 03:29 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
A comprehensive study has shown that the Finnish lakes have warmed up by 0.72C in a decade, and the trend will continue. In 20 years 25C lake temperatures in summer are the norm, causing huge problems for the flora and fauna in those lakes.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:59 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
And then there is this alarming report:
Washington Post

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen, Norway. Reports from fishermen, seal hunters, and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

OOPS,I apologize, I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post; 93 years ago.

Link to full article about this - and it is true that it was published in 1922: https://www.truthorfiction.com/newsp...limate-change/

Old 12-25-2015, 03:05 PM

How do they get away with these garbage predictions

U.S. Bread Basket Shifts Thanks to Climate Change

Quote:
But all these measures may not be enough to prepare Midwestern farmers for the dramatic environmental changes ahead. By between 2035 to 2065, temperatures in Illinois will be more like those in the mid-South, with rainfall patterns ranging between today's East Texas and the Carolinas. While higher temperatures may make certain regions more hospitable for growing, other problems like low soil quality or not enough rainfall could make shifting production there more unlikely.
Oh yeah, the summer growing season is showing an amazing temperature increase

Old 12-25-2015, 03:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Why does the past trend say much future projections? The future projections are under much higher carbon dioxide conditions, so I don't think it's a good comparison.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why does the past trend say much future projections? The future projections are under much higher carbon dioxide conditions, so I don't think it's a good comparison.
Those predictions are for a mere 2 to 4 decades. Do you actually think thereis going to be such a dramatic increase (Illinois turning into Arkansas) during that time period when 100 years of co2 emissions had little or no effect on the temperature?

Old 12-25-2015, 08:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Those predictions are for a mere 2 to 4 decades. Do you actually think thereis going to be such a dramatic increase (Illinois turning into Arkansas) during that time period when 100 years of co2 emissions had little or no effect on the temperature?
No I don't the change would be that dramatic, but that's not my point. I don't think your use of a past trend of 100 years is a good argument especially without comparing how much co2 levels changed. Co2 levels didn't change much in the first half of the 20th century (so what was the point of displaying those temperatures?) and were also probably somewhat counteracted by aerosol dust in the mid 20th century.

All of the extreme temperature change projections are based off of huge carbon dioxide level changes, much larger than the last 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather