Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you think La Nina will happen?
Spring 2016 3 4.84%
Summer 2016 16 25.81%
Fall 2016 23 37.10%
Winter 2016-17 11 17.74%
After Feb 2017 9 14.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:14 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
We had near normal snowfall over the course of that decade

We shall see.

83' wasn't particularly dry, but it was hot. The summer of 88' was the driest summer on record here. Even drier than the Dust Bowl years

Those anomalies would signal a positive PDO. They arent anywhere near the Blob's anomalies.

At any rate the Jamstec has this for the winter

And for the fall looks like a weak La Nina

So contrary to Bastardi's repeated claims, there is no flip yet back to a cold PDO anytime soon. Hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 11:27 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
So contrary to Bastardi's repeated claims, there is no flip yet back to a cold PDO anytime soon. Hmmm.

Joe Bastard talks **** just to up his ratings; he predicts an extremely cold winter with multiple blizzards and an extremely active hurricane season with multiple landfalls for the Eastern Seaboard EVERY SINGLE year just to up his ratings and get more followers.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:38 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Not just next winter, but long long term if you believe that dialogue in his post. LIA is "Little Ice Age" lol. You do realize Cambium scours the internet looking for any signs of cold or ice ages, or whatever to get his beloved frigid air lol. Joe Bastardi, a cold guru, actually has already posted his next winter forecast and has the whole East above average for once. I don't see either him or George posting that. I guess it doesn't fit their narrative.

Well the only good thing about a return to a LIA is that at least Europe will get brutal cold repeatedly if the last LIA is anything to go by.
Lol. My advice to him though is not to trust iceagenow,com, they are highly innacurate. I once tried to post a comment that was contrary to the article and the mods didn't let it go through. Also they tried 2 weeks ago to pass off a winter snowfall from maybe 2 years ago in Damascus Syria as a march snowfall event, when I scoured the internet I found nothing about it, and when I checked there weather it was nothing but upper 70s and 80s and sunshine. So do not trust iceagenow.com. Also they tried to pass off a hail event in the higher elevations of Saudi Arabia as a snowfall event. Did not realize LIA stood for little ice age.

The little ice ages worst affect on Europe was the famines caused by the cold wet summers. That would not be good, they already have generally cool wet summers, any cooler and even London and paris wont have much of a growing season. I laugh whenever I hear about another little ice age, its all bs. The main claim for it was when a team of Russian scientists forecasted sunspots would go blank in 2030, they did not say a little ice age would happen, but a lot of global warming deniers twisted their words and data and said they claimed a little ice age would happen.. the sun is naturally getting brighter anyways, so naturally the earth is warming slowly because of that.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:27 AM

29,533 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Not just next winter, but long long term if you believe that dialogue in his post. LIA is "Little Ice Age" lol. You do realize Cambium scours the internet looking for any signs of cold or ice ages, or whatever to get his beloved frigid air lol. Joe Bastardi, a cold guru, actually has already posted his next winter forecast and has the whole East above average for once. I don't see either him or George posting that. I guess it doesn't fit their narrative.

Well the only good thing about a return to a LIA is that at least Europe will get brutal cold repeatedly if the last LIA is anything to go by.
What's my narrative Tom? Just the other day, I posted that a positive AO is being predicted for next winter.

Quote:
Cambium should we both start worrying from now? Lol
https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/statu...67116986474496

La Nina winters are very active for the Midwest.

Quote:
La Nina winters," the undulating west-to-east jet stream across the United States tends to be displaced to the north, resulting in stormier and wetter winters than normal across the northern United States and fewer storms than usual and drier weather across the South.

La Nina impacts on Illinois

Quote:
Summary of Impacts of La Niña
Generally, La Niña impacts are not as clear-cut because there are fewer strong ones in recent years (1970-71, 1973-74, 1975-76, 1988-89).

Summers have a tendency to be warmer and drier in Illinois
Falls have a tendency to be cooler in the north and wetter in the southeast
Winters are typically warmer and wetter than average with more snow and winter storms
Springs tend to be cooler across most of the state and drier in the west

Old 04-08-2016, 04:39 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:

Europe? Forget Europe, it might be focused on the Northeast U.S only. LOL and SouthEast Canada.

Just thinking out loud here.....

TBH, I think the El Nino disturbed the pattern we were in past couple winters.. but when you look at the Long Term big picture, this winter "may have"(nobody knows for sure) just been a tiny little blip.. Think about the PDO, AMO, and stuff. Perhaps this is what happens after warming up? It's not going to happen right away. Patterns go up and down. It did "warmup" during the ice age, you know that right? Just not the warm we know of today. Ups and Downs always happened.

This below is what scared me. All stations and areas in the Northeast had a pretty abrupt drop with the historic cold. If that can happen for 1 or 2 months, why not 3 or 4 months or 10 yrs in a row? We don't know.

Just remember this ... When was the LIA? We don't have monthly data during those times, right? Only tree rings and diaries and random pictures and stuff that give us an idea what happened. So what if it doesn't come all at once, what if it takes years and decades? What if what happened last year was indeed something that happened "before" the LIA? We don't know but it does scare me that we were able to obliviate all cold records. So if that happened once during our lifetime, it can happen again...and maybe over again and again.

I think farmers need to prepare mentally for Cold, not Warm. They love a warming world, not a cooling world.

Avg temp for All months for Syracuse since 1905. Feb 2015 was pretty abrupt and impressive considering where we came from.

For Bridgeport(BDR) Jan-Feb-Mar 2015 was the Snowiest AND the coldest on record. (since 1949)

Old 04-08-2016, 06:47 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Europe? Forget Europe, it might be focused on the Northeast U.S only. LOL and SouthEast Canada.

Just thinking out loud here.....

TBH, I think the El Nino disturbed the pattern we were in past couple winters.. but when you look at the Long Term big picture, this winter "may have"(nobody knows for sure) just been a tiny little blip.. Think about the PDO, AMO, and stuff. Perhaps this is what happens after warming up? It's not going to happen right away. Patterns go up and down. It did "warmup" during the ice age, you know that right? Just not the warm we know of today. Ups and Downs always happened.

This below is what scared me. All stations and areas in the Northeast had a pretty abrupt drop with the historic cold. If that can happen for 1 or 2 months, why not 3 or 4 months or 10 yrs in a row? We don't know.

Just remember this ... When was the LIA? We don't have monthly data during those times, right? Only tree rings and diaries and random pictures and stuff that give us an idea what happened. So what if it doesn't come all at once, what if it takes years and decades? What if what happened last year was indeed something that happened "before" the LIA? We don't know but it does scare me that we were able to obliviate all cold records. So if that happened once during our lifetime, it can happen again...and maybe over again and again.

I think farmers need to prepare mentally for Cold, not Warm. They love a warming world, not a cooling world.

Avg temp for All months for Syracuse since 1905. Feb 2015 was pretty abrupt and impressive considering where we came from.

For Bridgeport(BDR) Jan-Feb-Mar 2015 was the Snowiest AND the coldest on record. (since 1949)

Lol i think it excites you not scares you.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:08 AM

If this La Nina becomes strong during the winter

Typical La Nina

Old 04-08-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
What's my narrative Tom? Just the other day, I posted that a positive AO is being predicted for next winter.

La Nina winters are very active for the Midwest.

La Nina impacts on Illinois

I honestly didn't see that post of yours, or I forgot. Sorry.

Btw, the guy in Cambiums little dialogue he posted, if you click on his twitter account, this is what it says:

Family guy, long time business owner, small inventor, love the outdoors, gardening, fishing, camping, hunting & Weather/Climate Nut..

Chris Beale, the "CB" in his dialogue post is not a meteo at all. He is a chemtrail believer. Of course he dreams of a LIA. Lol, I wonder if CB is actually Cambium.

He has no background whatsoever in meteorology or climatology, and yet it is posted as some kind of dialogue between two professional meteos. A little dis-ingenuous if you ask me.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
If this La Nina becomes strong during the winter

Typical La Nina

Well I think Joe B is calling for the same type as 1998-99. And he shows warmth all over the East. Also, he has said we are in line for a string of non winters in the East. I think he may be basing that on a cold PDO coming.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:20 AM

^^

We shall see. He is calling for a strong Nina to counter this Super Nino. If that is the case, then his forecast doesn't jive with other analog Super Nina winters...... He was pretty much wrong about this past winter/early spring He did call for a mild December, but a backloaded winter which never materialized (unless you call these last 10 days "winter").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather