Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you think La Nina will happen?
Spring 2016 3 4.84%
Summer 2016 16 25.81%
Fall 2016 23 37.10%
Winter 2016-17 11 17.74%
After Feb 2017 9 14.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:58 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times

Advertisements

My gut feeling is that the La Nina winter would be very mild with cold PDO and volatile with severe cold outbreaks in a warm PDO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 03:36 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm sure you can. I just want an average summer any way. I don't need all that heat. You know what I really want?

Summer 1983 didn't seem so below normal for you. Maybe your specific station was but look

Quote:
I want the winter of 1998-99 far more than I want a warmer than avg summer. That winter was fantastic with every single month being 2F or more above average and a zone 8a winter here. Cambium would hate that winter. He better hope this La Nina doesn't get real strong next winter. But they had the cold PDO then which we don't have now. I'd even take that winter with just avg temps each month but still zone 8a. .

winter of 99' was an absolute torch fest

I prefer the La Nina winter of 08' which had wild swings in temps and plenty of snow Still a torch out east

or La Nina winter 2011 also plenty of snow (Groundhog Day Blizzard)

Quote:
We have far different priorities George
We sure do

Old 05-16-2016, 04:07 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
My gut feeling is that the La Nina winter would be very mild with cold PDO and volatile with severe cold outbreaks in a warm PDO.
What pattern in a warm pdo gives us warmth all winter and summer 000000. Only way the east can be warm is in a record el nino like this year, even then the south might end up slightly below as it was in Jan and Feb. Warm PDO every single pattern almost means cold. And then in cold pdo its more even, so essentily it feels like to me more likely than not the pattern will produce cold in the east.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
What pattern in a warm pdo gives us warmth all winter and summer 000000. Only way the east can be warm is in a record el nino like this year, even then the south might end up slightly below as it was in Jan and Feb. Warm PDO every single pattern almost means cold. And then in cold pdo its more even, so essentily it feels like to me more likely than not the pattern will produce cold in the east.

Yup. Your winters from here on out, with no El Nino to protect you and at the mercy of the PNA and warm PDO, will be 80's like imo, particularly with the AMO dying a slow death. This May definitely reminds me of way years past before all the recent warm years. We are now in a very warm PDO with cold East pattern for years to come if that negative PDO doesn't come back.

You do realize the cold PDO just started a few years back when it seems to have already flipped so strongly to warm. These oscillations are supposed to be decades long and this one lasted a paltry few years.

We were jipped out of years of probably mild winters with that PDO flipping back to warm so fast.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:44 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Yup. Your winters from here on out, with no El Nino to protect you and at the mercy of the PNA and warm PDO, will be 80's like imo, particularly with the AMO dying a slow death. This May definitely reminds me of way years past before all the recent warm years. We are now in a very warm PDO with cold East pattern for years to come if that negative PDO doesn't come back.

You do realize the cold PDO just started a few years back when it seems to have already flipped so strongly to warm. These oscillations are supposed to be decades long and this one lasted a paltry few years.

We were jipped out of years of probably mild winters with that PDO flipping back to warm so fast.
I know! Look at 2006 to 2012 and how warm winters were! We were robbed of more years of that , we could have broken record warmth! Instead we get cheated, by the time the pdo flips negative it will be too late the amo will be negative, not the best pattern overall either. By the time I'm 80 things will get better, but by then, in will be too old to fully enjoy it.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:

1980's you say?Bring it on. That decade had above average summers and below average winters

Old 05-16-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
1980's you say?Bring it on. That decade had above average summers and below average winters

Maybe for you but summers here were hit and miss. Some years hot some not.

I just don't understand why the PDO flipped so quickly to warm already. Doesn't Bastardi still believe it is going to flip back to cold in a year or two? I remember him saying it was a two year flip to warm at most. Now he doesn't say that, but mentions from time to time a flip back to cold. How long do we have to wait for the cold PDO to come back?

Old 05-16-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe for you but summers here were hit and miss. Some years hot some not.
But I thought the 80's were dominated by a +PDO, shouldn't our summers have been cooler?

Quote:
I just don't understand why the PDO flipped so quickly to warm already. Doesn't Bastardi still believe it is going to flip back to cold in a year or two? I remember him saying it was a two year flip to warm at most. Now he doesn't say that, but mentions from time to time a flip back to cold. How long do we have to wait for the cold PDO to come back?
Idk when. If this La Nina, doesn't turn the PDO around, it might be years for all we know.

This isn't unprecedented. A short PDO flip has occurred plenty of times. One that sticks out to me was the short +PDO period between the late 50's into the early 60' sandwiched in between two longer -PDO periods.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:34 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
80s really weren't bad here. I think if we get the same pattern as the 80s it would be even warmer here now because of climate change. But of course a 90s or 50s pattern would be better

Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 AM

Latest models out from the BOM say La Nina by June in region 3.4

also, I analyzed La Nina summers (below -0.5) with a combination of a +PDO. Not, surprisingly, there are very few such events

Here is the analog for mean temps

and the analog for max temps

and precip

Curious to see if this summer bares any similarities....

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 05-17-2016 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather