Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 02:39 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
but... no else "defends" their climate to the same extent you do.
I think other people would if they were subject to so many duplicate accounts of basically crap, being posted to bump old threads (like that one recently about how the UK is the most unliveable place on Earth).

There seem to be quite a lot of anti-UK threads in the Europe and World forums as well, for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 02:42 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
There aren't any posters who live/d in the SE who think the normal climate is crap or anything close to being unliveable (2007-2012, yes).
Without getting into yet another London discussion, that right there is what's wrong tbh. I lived in the SE, and I think it's crap. That's my opinion, not yours. I like very warm, sunny weather, which clearly isn't part of the climate in the UK.
You need to accept other people's opinions, without feeling like it's a personal attack on yourself. It's only weather ffs!

Old 05-12-2016, 02:43 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Without getting into yet another London discussion, that right there is what's wrong tbh. I lived in the SE, and I think it's crap. That's my opinion, not yours. I like very warm, sunny weather, which clearly isn't part of the climate in the UK.
You need to accept other people's opinions, without feeling like it's a personal attack on yourself. It's only weather ffs!
I thought you lived in Yeovil?

Old 05-12-2016, 02:46 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
I think other people would if they were subject to so many duplicate accounts of basically crap, being posted to bump old threads (like that one recently about how the UK is the most unliveable place on Earth).

There seem to be quite a lot of anti-UK threads in the Europe and World forums as well, for some reason.
Why don't you just ignore them? They obviously do that to wind you up....because no offense it seems quite easy to wind you up. You ignore those people and they go away eventually.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:46 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
I thought you lived in Yeovil?
I did. I also lived in Portsmouth.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:54 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
You guys get warm weather for at least three months out of the year, I almost never get cool/cold weather here and I don't complain nearly as much. See my point? I get the climate isn't to your liking but it could easily be worse.

You think weather out of your comfort zone from November to April is bad? Try March through November, or even December some years. Hell the weather is out of my comfort zone in January and February in certain years. It's not like you're in Barrow where it never gets warm. You at least get warm weather, we never get weather to my liking here.
I can see how you're frustrated then, that Miami is constantly above average. Honestly Im not gonna lie, Miami sounds like a really overwhelming climate even for me. I wouldn't want to live in Miami year round. The west coast makes me jealous since they have LA and San Diego which has winter days in the 60s. On the east coast you just dont get winter days in the 60s without sacrificing them for a very humid oppressive summer, like in New Orleans or Savannah. My taste in weather is very simple; I just like everything between 60 and 90 degrees

Old 05-12-2016, 03:00 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Good point. I wonder if they are implying the actual air mass being more March like but because we are in mid May the surface temps will not reflect it and so will be more like April.

Winds on Sunday should make it feel like 40s till lunch time I think for us..

Yup.. -7C with warm lakes? Problem is that though... May warmth too thick but ..........

Not just lake effect but when an airmass like this comes overhead in May there's going to be some crazy instability around I think. Lake Effect Clouds? Flurries around??

3 Maps.

NAM PType Sunday "afternoon"

Euro Snow totals. Cant believe I'm looking at these maps still. lol

Snowstorm in Quebec??? Flurries on the West Virginia mountains?

GFS snow totals. I think that area of Quebec is going to get a little snow event. Northern Vermont couple inches? Don't forget, these are 10:1 maps. So if ratios are actually 8:1 drop these totals. That's why figure the 1" or less as flurries only.

What are the odds that we see pictures from someone living in an area where it does accumulate? Slim because it would be so isolated I think..

I hope Toronto gets snow lol.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
We live in a climate that forces out of our comfort zone from November to April each year (and even in May, as we can see this year). There is no way just to ignore the fact that the past few years have been a bit uncomfortable for us. I've lived in New York City for a decade and aside from a month in 2009 and 2010 I've never had problems with the winters there. Let me just say, Upstate NY is a completely different animal from NYC and I don't feel comfortable living here. I just want to graduate and never return to this frozen tundra ever again in my life

Very true for me as well. The winter of 2014 and 2015 really shocked me. I just didn't think cold like that was going to return here again, and never did I think back to back. And this May, though for some reason hasn't got me too riled up, has to be one of the coldest I can remember.

Does anybody else find it frustrating how all these long range forecast outlets like TWC, or Accu-W make forecasts like the Spring will be a warm and sunny one blah blah and much better than the last few, and then when it is the complete opposite you will never ever get a mea culpa from them explaining how they were so wrong or why they were so wrong. This is why it bothers me how much hype is made of long range forecasts. Personally I wish long range forecasts became a thing of the past and no one bothered issuing them anymore as they seem useless to me. Every single outlet talked about what a great spring was coming, and all we got was March. They never said May would be a total sunless cool month.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Most of the time it is someone else who mentions London. I don't know how that thread got so many replies, of course half of them were off topic.

I've never had a go at anyone for not liking the climate, it's when they rate places like Vancouver or Paris highly and then say they don't like London as it's too cold or rainy, the sort of people who just come into a conversation without even looking at what has been posted 18 million times previously, just to cause 'trouble'.

I find it a little strange how every summer the London posters do seem to get all excited about any prospects or forecasts of hotter than avg weather, and will tell you exactly how many days are over every threshold above 75F lol. That strikes me as odd, and almost as if many there crave more heat than they get. But, at the same time they will mightily defend the avg summer temps as very pleasant and wouldn't ever want the hot and humid summers here. Do you notice that?

Old 05-12-2016, 03:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
To comment on Tom's favorite topic:

I don't care about winter variability; average temperatures are too cold for my liking and occasional mild days can be a nice break. I might like a climate that hovers around the upper 20s / low 30s with frequent snow and low variabilty. Little sever cold, but cold enough snow doesn't melt. Hmm. A less variable winter climate here could mean a more stable snowpack. March, ditto.

April and May variability is annoying. No need for summer temperatures; I enjoy them but we get three months of them anyway. Like right now, a couple days at 80°F followed by highs just below 60°F. 70°F is pleasant, would be better if it could stay at that. Lower April variability would mean the growing season could start a couple weeks earlier. Don't want summer variability much; average is near perfect but hotter is often annoying. But summer isn't that variable anyway in temperatures, more so in humidity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather