Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 12:50 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Could that be why we're only in the low 80s by comparison?
Nahh, you know why? 2 words. Climate Fail. Northeast U.S is a climate fail. Lol

Heights are higher here, you are more on the eastern side of the ridge, we are pretty much centered but yeah, I bet the rains arent helping you. Maybe mid 80s would of been easier to get had it been bone dry there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 01:07 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,735,386 times
Distant cumulus congestus are lit by the last sun rays. They're actually behind the mountains over the Po valley. Tonight you can see the boundary between the mediterranean and humid subtropical climates just by looking at the sky. Pretty cool.

I checked, parts of northern Italy reached the 30s Celsius. So near yet so far...

Big hailstones from a storm near Toulouse:
Nuageux | Photolive, toutes les photos météo en temps réel - Infoclimat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Chicopee was reporting dewpoints around 62/63°F at 7-8 AM. Eh not that humid. I'm unused to humidity. Felt less humid after the clouds cleared, but the humidity actually rose. Air felt fresher? Might also have to do with me getting higher up into the hills
I feel that way too. Hot, cloudy weather feels stuffier to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hartford Max/Min temps this month. 3 of last 4 days in the 90s after struggling past 50s early this month
What a glorious May temperature-wise. I'm jealous. Something to show to people who say things like "Hey, I was in NYC at the beginning of May and it was in the 50s. Don't go there in May it's too cold and cloudy".

Old 05-28-2016, 01:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

What a glorious May temperature-wise. I'm jealous. Something to show to people who say things like "Hey, I was in NYC at the beginning of May and it was in the 50s. Don't go there in May it's too cold and cloudy".
I've hated most of this month.

94°F now, dewpoint 65°F. Could it get hotter?

Old 05-28-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've hated most of this month.
I couldn't agree with you more.

Quote:

Good point.. Also for those that forget how quick we can flip in this region! It's pretty hard to get used to even though it happens a lot.

Quote:
Tonight you can see the boundary between the mediterranean and humid subtropical climates just by looking at the sky. Pretty cool.
That's pretty cool indeed!

Old 05-28-2016, 01:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Distant cumulus congestus are lit by the last sun rays. They're actually behind the mountains over the Po valley. Tonight you can see the boundary between the mediterranean and humid subtropical climates just by looking at the sky. Pretty cool.

That raises a good point - are precipitation distributions alone enough to make a climate different?

Old 05-28-2016, 01:53 PM

Under changed discussion. NO REALLY????

Quote:
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service New York NY
200 PM EDT SAT MAY 28 2016

A westward extension of the Bermuda High will over the area
through the weekend. A cold front approaches from the west on
Monday, then crosses the Tri-state Monday night. High pressure
builds down from Hudson Bay for the middle of the week. A cold
front approaches from the west on Friday.

-- Changed Discussion --
Some minor adjustments were made to dewpoints and temperatures to better match observed trends.

Temperatures were increased slightly towards NYC and locations to the northwest. Isolated to scattered convection north and west of NYC for this afternoon with differential heating along higher terrain acting as a trigger for convection with thermal trough setting up. Another day with a large temperature gradient between coastal and inland locations with the southerly flow. An unseasonably warm day is in store as deep ridging builds aloft and Bermuda high pressure remains over the area. Temperatures willbe in the lower 90s across NE NJ and the interior Lower Hudson Valley. Southerly winds will increase this afternoon which will likely prevent temperatures in the city and interior southern CT from warming much above the middle 80s to near 90. Near the coast, highs will reach the upper 70s and lower 80s.

Convection chances appear lower than on Friday as there is not much of a trigger with deeper ridging over the area. Instability will be largest away from the stronger sea breezes north and west of the city so this is where any widely scattered convection may develop late this afternoon. Best chance appears to lie across the NW interior which ends up closest to surface boundary to the north of the area.There is a moderate risk for the meteorological enhancement of rip current formation at Atlantic Beaches today.

See it?

Old 05-28-2016, 02:07 PM

4pm.. 90°F here with dewpoint of 66°F

I don't expect temps to drop off so it's gonna be a Mid July type evening in the 80s. Waiting for that backdoor cold front I haven't even looked for it yet

Old 05-28-2016, 02:18 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
I had forgotten how oppressive & unpleasant 30 C with a 20 C dew point feels.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:20 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times
Dewpoint is down to 59F here.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:26 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,972,142 times
The NWS is predicting a high of 68 tomorrow for Boston and 90 for Hartford. That's quite the temperature contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I had forgotten how oppressive & unpleasant 30 C with a 20 C dew point feels.
Dew point is only 14 C here. Wanna head south?

Last edited by srfoskey; 05-28-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather