Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 03:28 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Lol. Well global warming and climate change are theories at this point, but El Niño is not. Did you miss that memo?
global warming is a theory. climate change is not. climates always change, im tired of global warming being synonymous with climate change. global warming is only a type of climate change, climate change can be global cooling, or desertification or getting rainier etc. global warming just means it gets warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:22 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
global warming is a theory. climate change is not. climates always change, im tired of global warming being synonymous with climate change. global warming is only a type of climate change, climate change can be global cooling, or desertification or getting rainier etc. global warming just means it gets warmer.
I hear ya and knew that but since most people seem to lump the two together, figured I would call it out. My mistake.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I hear ya. I always thought Global Warming was the first term used to describe it (which is technically true, since mean Earthwide temps have been periodically rising for some time, correct? Obviously, the deniers turned that around to say things like "Coldest February on record. Global warming is a myth" type thing. For those of us who are more scientifically inclined, we know that the "warming" isn't specific to one area and most people don't understand the correlation with the warming earth and displacement of normal highs and lows as well as storm tracks and wind patterns. This leads people to believe that since the earth is warming, every location on earth will also experience warming, which, because of what I just mentioned, would not happen. Deniers also like to believe they live in a bubble, and their climate represents what's happening world-wide.

Anyway, my mistake.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:10 PM

249 posts, read 188,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Garbage. You clearly don't have the faintest understanding of any aspect of meteorology.
I never claimed to have a great understanding of meteorology. If I did I guess I'd be a meteorologist.
But I'm keen enough to detect when an agenda is being pushed and I'm not backing down on what I said before.
Climate change, global warming, and El Nino are all unproven theories and blown out of proportion by certain politicians and the media.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 PM

855 posts, read 772,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It's a religion, not a fact.
A religion espoused by 98% of climate scientists. Sure, sure.

Quote:
Now that we've had a run of winters that have been either brutally cold, snowy or both
Who is "WE"? Oh, that's right - a small corner of North America. By the way, you're exaggerating massively. This winter has been incredibly mild, even in the Northeast US. One snowstorm in New York doesn't negate that.

And have you not heard that 2014 was the warmest year on record globally? And 2015 then immediately topped that record? The temperature in your backyard is completely irrelevant.

Quote:
Since it can't be proved or disproved it's a religion.
It can be proved, and has already been proved. There's no controversy among educated people. Only among the uneducated.

Quote:
I don't care what 97% of publicly funded scientists who need a crisis to get research grants, or some mystical proportion of Finns or Japanese think.
You mean you don't care what educated, intelligent people think. You only care about your own uneducated "hunches".

Old 02-08-2016, 08:55 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
I never claimed to have a great understanding of meteorology. If I did I guess I'd be a meteorologist.
But I'm keen enough to detect when an agenda is being pushed and I'm not backing down on what I said before.
Climate change, global warming, and El Nino are all unproven theories and blown out of proportion by certain politicians and the media.
Is this post a joke? So basically you're saying you have no idea what you're talking about, yet you're still going to spew your ill-informed opinions?

Old 02-09-2016, 01:10 AM

Aside from its affects on California, has anyone heard the news that the most recent ONI values (3-month averages for SST Anomalies) for Nov-Dec-Jan put this current El Niño at the strongest on record?

El Nino surges into record territory | Updraft | Minnesota Public Radio News

"Record" doesn't mean too much IMO, since we only have records back to 1950. What's interesting is that the last 6 Strong to "Super" El Niño's have progressively become higher in values.

6 Strongest Niño's and their Peak ONI Value.

57/58 - 1.7

65/66 - 1.8

72/73 - 2.0

82/83 - 2.1

97/98 - 2.26

15/16 - 2.31 (Didn't beat it by a wide margin at all, hence the extra decimal).

They also get progressively further apart. 8, 7, 10, 15, 18 years respectively. Probably doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but any sort of pattern can be interesting to note.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
So you've just admitted you don't know what you're talking about, yet you sit there and try to convince a forum full of weather and climate enthusiasts that you're privy to some sort of climate conspiracy being pushed by "politicians and the media"?

And what exactly do you mean when you say that climate change, global warming, and El Nino are all unproven theories? Where is your data to support these claims? What do you even mean when you use the word "theory" anyway?

Enlighten me.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:18 PM
SFX

1,637 posts, read 893,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
El Nino is doing its job in New York since this is like one of the warmest Decembers ever
Yep, this winter has been just like they predicted, warm and dry for the northern US, and the North East Coast. Which is good, since last year was so cold and had so much snow.

Nothing like a super El Nino to give everyone a break from the relentless snow and storms.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:49 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
Yep, this winter has been just like they predicted, warm and dry for the northern US, and the North East Coast. Which is good, since last year was so cold and had so much snow.

Nothing like a super El Nino to give everyone a break from the relentless snow and storms.
Nope, this winter has been NOTHING at all like what was predicted ... at least here in the west. The long range outlook for December through February was for a near certain probability of above normal precipitation in southern CA and the SW. Have you been observing what has taken place? December was drier than normal, January was slightly wetter than normal (only due to a series of storms in the first week of the month), and little to no precipitation has been recorded anywhere in this region thus far in February. Not only that, but record high temperatures in the 80s (approaching the 90s in some areas) are the dominant weather feature currently. The short range forecast is for more of the same into next week.

Why is it so difficult for some of you to admit that the NWS is inaccurate and unreliable when it comes to their predictions??? This is the same gov't agency which predicted a wetter than normal winter last year, and it turned out to be another very dry one. Normally, it probably wouldn't be such a huge deal, except this is the region which has been plagued by drought, and many people were counting on these long range outlooks to be accurate. This is nothing to take lightly. As far as I'm concerned, heads should be rolling by now, but you can bet there will be no consequences unless a large number of people stand up and demand action!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather