Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 10:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

Of course, all things are relative. My motto since moving here last year, is "It ain't too hot and it ain't snowin'". This makes me very happy. I love mild temps. I can even put up with the rain. It's not frozen rain or sleet or snow, and it's not 100 degrees. All of which I'm very thankful for.

But, for the love of God, the wind!!! It's driving me nuts. It's not uncommon for the wind to be 35 mph during the winter, with gusts to 60 mph. That's what we've got going on tonight. The wind is so strong, even with the window tightly closed, it will force itself into cracks and creates this loud honking noise, which irritates me and freaks out my dog.

So, I cracked the window open, and it honks less, but still honks, and rattles my blinds and just makes a racket. I'll be up all night again.

It's funny how weather becomes relative. When I get up and it's "only" lightly raining and there's only a slight breeze, that's what used to be a sunny day in the SF Bay Area to me. LOL. And I am really okay with overcast skies and light rain and minimal wind.

But, the wind can drive you nuts. I remember reading about how people in the prairie in the US would go insane because of the wind. And if it's also raining like mad, now you've got rain coming at you sideways, right at your face.

I think I need to take a trip to the drought areas. I'm happy we have plenty water up here. But, the wind is driving me nuts. I feel like screaming!

I just keep remembering, hey, it ain't snowin' and it ain't too hot. But, I can't help it. The wind is ruining another night for me! There is no white noise loud enough to drown out this wind monster.

/rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:53 PM

336 posts, read 398,434 times
I think I cancel my plans moving to the coast...

Old 01-13-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weidehond View Post
I think I cancel my plans moving to the coast...
LOL, don't blame you!

Old 01-13-2016, 11:16 PM

750 posts, read 741,179 times
I don't mind wet windy weather if I don't have to do anything and I can just stay home and watch movies, but if I'm working or going to school or anything like that, it sucks. Walking up and down the Portland State campus today was terrible.

I guess too much of anything isn't good. Too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet, too windy, too much snow...

Old 01-14-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Senf View Post
I don't mind wet windy weather if I don't have to do anything and I can just stay home and watch movies, but if I'm working or going to school or anything like that, it sucks. Walking up and down the Portland State campus today was terrible.

I guess too much of anything isn't good. Too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet, too windy, too much snow...
So true. Everything in moderation.

I would have enjoyed reading a book but the frickin' window was howling so loud! It was those 55 mph gusts. It's windy today, but the window isn't howling. Funny how all things become relative. Today, I'm just glad the window is quiet LOL.

It makes driving really fun, too.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I wonder why it's so windy? Low pressure system off the coast, high inland?

Old 01-14-2016, 05:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Strongest wind I can remember was on the North Coast. Well it felt worse cause I was walking into the wind, might have felt as much wind in the White Mountains, but I wasn't walking into the wind as much.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:31 PM

It is actually worse at open areas at higher elevations. I'm right at sea level and it whips off the ocean.

I know nothing about meteorology, so I can't tell you why. It's been really weird today. Not as windy, and then there will be periods of no wind, then it whips into a rainy/windy frenzy again.

I'm just glad my window stopped howling LOL. So is my dog :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather