Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 02:17 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,725,985 times

Advertisements

For that reason I like mixed forests the best. Majority deciduous, but some conifer groves to give greenery in all seasons. Big healthy Norway spruces might me quite impressive too:

This mixed forest would look quite gray and lifeless without conifers:

For example the Balkans have very impressive mixed forests.

And without pines and junipers, our rocky arid areas would look very stale and lifeless.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:41 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,335,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
For that reason I like mixed forests the best. Majority deciduous, but some conifer groves to give greenery in all seasons. Big healthy Norway spruces might me quite impressive too:

This mixed forest would look quite gray and lifeless without conifers:

For example the Balkans have very impressive mixed forests.

And without pines and junipers, our rocky arid areas would look very stale and lifeless.
I was going to say, I don't mind northern evergreen type of trees. I love Norway Spruces and Blue Spruce as well. I like subarctic vegetation as well.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:47 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,567,528 times
Deciduous trees only look good between April and November here. There are plenty more trees here that look nice if you don't like palms; things like pine, eucalyptus, araucaria, laurel, holly, holm oak, lebanon cedar etc etc.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:34 PM

5,033 posts, read 4,341,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I find it hard to believe sabal palms brown out at 29F considering their hardiness.
There is a very long list of palms that do not go brown below 29F. Too long to list here. It takes far more than that to brown out many cold hardy palms like robusta, phoenix palms, livistona, sabals, etc.

I wasn't saying that 29F was a magic number, below which palm trees go brown. Just that this winter hasn't had any significant cold yet and palm trees are still pretty green.

A number of palm trees went brown last winter, and I think most did during Winter 2013-14. January 2014 had 3 days that failed to get above freezing. Snow accumulated twice in January that year and we had ice in February.

I can't remember what the palms looked like during Winter 2012-13. It was pretty mild overall and the lowest min was 25F. However there were a couple of days with highs in the 30's F.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:58 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,286,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I may be weird, but I don't mind a brown landscape or bare trees. Gives the place an interesting look and a cool and different atmosphere than summer. I like the look of bare trees on a cloudy, overcast day. I may be odd in that sense but whatever.

I guess since I like a variety of look throughout the year, palm trees aren't very interesting to me.
That's what I hate most, overcast days make the landscape look even more dark and hideous. It wouldn't be bad if deciduous trees weren't so abundant, I wish the pine barrens were more vast. But my immediate area is dominated by evergreens, so it isn't so bad for me.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No they don't.
I like deciduous trees, too. But subtropical evergreen and tropical vegetation looks more varied, IMO especially if you're not looking closely.

I like conifers, but they don't have quite the same lush look as decideous in leaf, and the big leaves of deciduous trees are brighter. The larger conifers of the west coast are more appealing than the ones around here and up north. Favorites are coast redwoods: huge tree trunks, surrounded a lush, fern groundcover.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:29 AM

881 posts, read 644,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yep, there is the Chatham island Nikau, although there is some debate as to whether it's a different species, as they have different features/form. They also have poor adaptation to mainland climates -the only example I've seen around here, struggled with summer conditions and was prone to a type of rot during the summer season.

I've planted some Livistona australis -they are attractive palm at a young age, although the spikes are nasty. Prone to sunburn as well.

Phoenix roebelinii.
I'm quite surpised a climate that cold has a native palm ans sounds like it actually can't tolerate summer conditions. Maybe the Chatham Islands Nikau could be grown in places like the Pacific coast of Canada and Ireland. Sounds like a good portion of the mainland UK could be too warm

Old 01-18-2016, 02:11 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfront Factory View Post
I'm quite surpised a climate that cold has a native palm ans sounds like it actually can't tolerate summer conditions. Maybe the Chatham Islands Nikau could be grown in places like the Pacific coast of Canada and Ireland. Sounds like a good portion of the mainland UK could be too warm
Nikaus don't have good cold tolerance. About the same as a Queen palm. Parts of Ireland and England are possible long term, but anything below about - 5C there, will kill them. PNW and BC, have no chance.

Dry heat doesn't seem like much of an issue, they thrive in LA, but heavy rain and sun combined, seem to be the problem for them (Chatham Island nikau)

Last edited by Joe90; 01-18-2016 at 03:38 AM..

Old 01-18-2016, 08:28 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,208,773 times
South of Tampa Florida everything grows. Every different palm tree that you can imagine. Along the East coast of the US fan palms thrive up to coastal North Carolina. Some seaside businesses plant palm trees in the Summer from Virginia Beach out to Montauk Long Island.

I've always wanted a palm tree in my yard. Now that I've bought in Florida, I have them.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:19 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,430,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I may be weird, but I don't mind a brown landscape or bare trees. Gives the place an interesting look and a cool and different atmosphere than summer. I like the look of bare trees on a cloudy, overcast day. I may be odd in that sense but whatever.

I guess since I like a variety of look throughout the year, palm trees aren't very interesting to me.
I'm glad that palm trees and deciduous trees coexist in the deep south, so you can enjoy the beauty of palms and still see variety in the landscape.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.