Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 09:19 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

I never posted pics of an Areca palm growing in Columbia. I was talking the Queen palms etc. I should have clarified "except the Robusta", which btw are marginally hardy in Columbia. The pics from Columbia were most likely filibusta, more cold hardy than Robusta.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I never posted pics of an Areca palm growing in Columbia. I was talking the Queen palms etc. I should have clarified "except the Robusta", which btw are marginally hardy in Columbia. The pics from Columbia were most likely filibusta, more cold hardy than Robusta.
Who cares about palms? Large trees are what I'm interested in.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Who cares about palms? Large trees are what I'm interested in.

The title of the thread is "palm" not "large trees". I think a thead about large trees would be cool, but then we might be converting this into a garden forum instead of weather. We would have to keep it large trees related to weather somehow. I do like large deciduous trees as well.

I love the American Chestnut, Ash, and the America Elm. Chestnut and Elm I'm hoping will make a comeback someday. They were amazing in the forests of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. Also, I really like long leaf pines. I wish they were vastly replanted all over the Southeast.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
There are plenty of queen palms in New Orleans, I'm not sure why you didn't see them.

Plus, Washingtonia and Phoenix palms are everywhere along the AL coast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFjkUWWXw4Y

Old 01-27-2016, 11:28 AM

I asked a few people from the Southeast on the gardening forum about these palms in Riverland, AU. Turns out Dypsis lutescens died in Brunswick, GA. Many of those palms growing there need to be south of Orlando, FL here.
34 lat in Australia equals 28 lat in the US. Though I doubt 28 latitude in Texas can grow them either.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:47 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
What does "a dime in a dozen" mean?

Ah, now I got it. Nevermind.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What does "a dime in a dozen" mean?
Lots of -although " a dime a dozen" is used here.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:50 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,954 times
Queen Palms are found all over S. Lousiana and southeast Texas...

Dypsis lutescens is less cold hardy than a royal palm...find them in the warmer parts of S. Texas and central Florida.

What is so surprising about Australia have less extreme temperatures than N. America? Lol

Old 01-27-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Queen Palms are found all over S. Lousiana and southeast Texas...

Dypsis lutescens is less cold hardy than a royal palm...find them in the warmer parts of S. Texas and central Florida.

What is so surprising about Australia have less extreme temperatures than N. America? Lol
Australia is not what is surprising, it is the deviation from averages here that every winter seems to re-shock me for some reason lol. Every winter you see the purple anomalies over North America. Renmark AU has an avg July low of 37, colder than Charleston, SC, yet it seems to drop only maybe 10F from its avg low or why else would Queen Palms be all over the place.

Australia is not the exception in humid subtropical climates. I think North America is and east Asia.

Australia vs US in a palm battle and Australia wins hands down.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:40 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Very few Sabals were lost in the Southeast in the 80's, but the Med Fan palm was wiped out in places like Myrtle Beach, etc.
Sabal honestly never ceases to impress me, and this a palm whose native range extends into the tropics. I know you find them ugly, but I love how they look in their natural state with a full crown and a long smooth trunk. I hate the hurricane cut look, it makes them look sickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Savannah, Georgia (for example) has lots of very old & mature Sabal palmetto palms, these survived 3F/-16C in 1985, as well as other cold spells. You only need to look at where there are mature ones growing & take a look at the record lows they have taken. Chamaerops humilis are only safe down to around 14F/-10C & 11F/-12C at a push...
Chamaerops humilis really must be a zone 8b palm then. All this time I thought it was on par with Sabal palmetto & Butia odorata.

Sabal palmetto is incredibly tough though. Most palms wouldn't survive being stripped of their crown and root mass and thrown to the side while waiting to be bought. And many of them end up planted hundreds of miles away in a different climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather