Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 11:30 AM

163 posts, read 165,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Looks quite similar to the regular ol palmetto.
Are you sure about that? You might want to take another look:

Quote:
This is what the palms will look like on the Gulf Coast of Alabama if we have another 2014 winter. I took these in April of 2014. I hate to see palms go thru this, but such is life in a marginal subtropical climate subject to 14F at 30 degrees north latitude, Jan avg temps of 60/40F, and sea level.
Hopefully, 2014 was a fluke, and that winters usually have long, more stable/mild periods.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
The South is the worst for low latitude and sea level "average" warm winters with extreme deviations in winter. It is not just the record lows, it is the annual winter lowest temp. 14F is not Mobile AL record low. That would be 3F lol. Pathetic.
Actually, according to this, it is -1F (which I sort of doubt):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile,_Alabama#Climate

Old 09-14-2016, 11:46 AM

Just as citrus evolved in China, evergreen blueberries evolved in the US South:
Vaccinium myrsinites
Louisiana Plant ID | Vaccinium darrowii (evergreen blueberry)

Old 09-14-2016, 12:10 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
Are you sure about that? You might want to take another look:

Nope, actually looks ratty and very similar to sabal palmetto. Compare "lisa" to a robusta and you will see what I mean. Lisa has same dull finish and dull green color, and does not have a nice wide palmate leaf. I'm sure you know "palmate" means like the palm of a hand with fingers extending out. A robusta leaf has a big ol palm and then the droopy glossy shiny green fingers. Lisa or sabal palmetto has the dull lighter green fronds with a costapalmate type leaf. I like sabal bermudana due to the immense and open wide spreading crown. I dislike the very dense smallish "lollipop" crown on sabal palmetto.

Quote:
Hopefully, 2014 was a fluke, and that winters usually have long, more stable/mild periods.
Go back thru the record and you will see back to back or even more than back to back very low out of zone winters on the Gulf Coast. And in the 80's forget about it.

They had a one year break now back to a 2014 type winter that quick. We are now in an extended cold period and the 10-15 year cold PDO (warm eastern US) run is over.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:13 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Just as citrus evolved in China, evergreen blueberries evolved in the US South:
Vaccinium myrsinites
Louisiana Plant ID | Vaccinium darrowii (evergreen blueberry)

Nice, but no match for citrus.

Where are you from and what is your background (meteo, gardening, etc)?

Are you cold epoch guy again?

Old 09-14-2016, 12:58 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuja1 View Post
Sabal palmetto would still survive those temps. They can take about 3 consecutive days or more below freezing and can take temps below 10 F maybe 0F or colder. I'd say they are bullet proof on the Gulf coast of AL.
Then why does Sabal Palmetto not survive here? Vancouver is 8b even 9a in certain microclimates and they are nowhere to be found. Obviously lack of summer heat plays a big role.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:11 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Then why does Sabal Palmetto not survive here? Vancouver is 8b even 9a in certain microclimates and they are nowhere to be found. Obviously lack of summer heat plays a big role.
Summer won't be the problem, as Sabal minor and palmetto grow here with cooler summers. I think Vancouver has too long a period of non-growth - it has 7 months with maximums as cold or colder than the coldest month here. Sabals wouldn't grow here either with those temperatures.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Nope, actually looks ratty and very similar to sabal palmetto. Compare "lisa" to a robusta and you will see what I mean. Lisa has same dull finish and dull green color, and does not have a nice wide palmate leaf. I'm sure you know "palmate" means like the palm of a hand with fingers extending out. A robusta leaf has a big ol palm and then the droopy glossy shiny green fingers. Lisa or sabal palmetto has the dull lighter green fronds with a costapalmate type leaf. I like sabal bermudana due to the immense and open wide spreading crown. I dislike the very dense smallish "lollipop" crown on sabal palmetto.
'Lisa' has costapalmate leaves (as does the normal one). It is the same as palmate, just that there is a central 'rib' running through the leaf.

Both Sabal palmetto and Sabal lisa can have droopy leaves with wide crowns; look at them in the wild, not in landscaped settings, where people trim them too much.

And, honestly, the Washingtonia can be quite ugly if the 'skirt' is too long.

Quote:
Go back thru the record and you will see back to back or even more than back to back very low out of zone winters on the Gulf Coast. And in the 80's forget about it.

They had a one year break now back to a 2014 type winter that quick. We are now in an extended cold period and the 10-15 year cold PDO (warm eastern US) run is over.
Hope for the best.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:26 PM

384 posts, read 383,463 times
Quote:
Actually, according to this, it is -1F (which I sort of doubt):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile,_Alabama#Climate
The record low in Tallahasee was below 0. -1 or -2 I can't remember.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:27 PM

384 posts, read 383,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather