Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 08:29 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,774,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Exactly. How could anyone say this looked ugly??
I'm not arguing that they're "Ugly" just that they're not anything special. This, for example, is much better
Attached Thumbnails
Palm Trees General Discussion-image.png  

Old 01-17-2016, 08:29 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
They're only palm trees - they won't be offended because people are 'stereotyping' them, lol. Maybe one day they will get tired of it and seek their day in court.
You are kind of missing the point. People are saying they hate palm trees because they dislike one particular type, when there are thousands of different species. Would be like someone saying they hated England because they thought Leeds was a sh*thole Only trying to educate the ignorant, no need to mock...

Old 01-17-2016, 08:31 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
You are kind of missing the point. People are saying they hate palm trees because they dislike one particular type, when there are thousands of different species. Would be like someone saying they hated England because they thought Leeds was a sh*thole Only trying to educate the ignorant, no need to mock...
Yeah but there's no need to take it personally. Don't worry about it. As long as you love your palm trees, that's all that matters. Your affection is the only thing that matters.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah but there's no need to take it personally. Don't worry about it. As long as you love your palm trees, that's all that matters. Your affection is the only thing that matters.
I'm not taking it personally at all, like I said I am just educating people that there are lots of different types of palm, so to collectively hate all palm trees just because you think Trachycarpus or Washingtonias look fugly is a bit silly...

Old 01-17-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I'm not arguing that they're "Ugly" just that they're not anything special. This, for example, is much better
That's because where you live you are surrounded by palms, so you take them for granted & they are not anything special... That tree you posted a pic of is also beautiful, I don't hate any trees, I just prefer evergreen ones & love palms...

Old 01-17-2016, 10:33 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
That's because where you live you are surrounded by palms, so you take them for granted & they are not anything special... That tree you posted a pic of is also beautiful, I don't hate any trees, I just prefer evergreen ones & love palms...
You hit the nail on the head.

People from places that don't have them like palms
because they're "exotic" to them.

People who live in the tropics (like south Florida)
don't think much of palms because they're common to them.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
I don't live in an area palms, but I don't love them. Some look nice, but I don't find them as fascinating as many on the forum do.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:48 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The climate in your area could support more palms than just Chinese windmills. Augusta, as I posted, has a lot more palms that are viable than just the Chinese windmill. So does Macon, GA. I noticed that many areas in the Southeast are averse to palms, until you get near coastal areas. Not sure why.
There are other types of palm trees besides the ones I posted, but I'd say the Trachycarpus are probably the most common. Here's another example (are these Sabal?).

Palm trees often turn brown during the winter, but usually recover during spring. They haven't really gone that dormant this winter as it hasn't gone below 29F yet. I think some palms were killed during winter of 2013-14. It got well down into the teens on multiple occasions and the average low in January was 29F that winter.

Last edited by ral31; 01-17-2016 at 11:01 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The climate in your area could support more palms than just Chinese windmills. Augusta, as I posted, has a lot more palms that are viable than just the Chinese windmill. So does Macon, GA. I noticed that many areas in the Southeast are averse to palms, until you get near coastal areas. Not sure why.
people just aren't aware of the palms that can be grown in their area.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:55 AM

*EDIT*
Completely pointless now that nei decided to remove the photos & put in links that no one is going to be bothered to click on...

Last edited by flamingGalah!; 01-17-2016 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: pointless now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather