Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How awesome is Caracas's climate? (specifically the wikipedia statistics)
so awesome it breaks the rating scale and creates a rip in the time space continuum 3 10.00%
A+ 0 0%
A 5 16.67%
A- 4 13.33%
less than an A (i'm miserable and i don't like nice things) 18 60.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:50 PM

633 posts, read 661,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
If you wanted a debate on people's climatic preferences, then you should have titled the thread that way, not by rating a city's climate you explaining "why" it should be my favorite too. All this comes across as a pure obsession for you to get people to like Caracas' climate. It's a bit silly to have a discussion backed by "facts" about someone's opinion over a city's climate that's why "Rate the Climate" threads are pointless, or should be done out of curiosity. You can't reach a "compromise" about somebody's climatic preferences. Not so you can tell someone they "should" like a city when they don't. As I said, no one should have to explain to you why they don't like Caracas' climate, they don't like it period. That's it. Maybe people don't feel like explaining their preference to you or find it pointless, that's why they don't explain it. Not because they don't care about it they just think it's pointless to discuss. It's an interesting topic for you because for whatever reason you're obsessed with making people like the same climates as you.
the title, first post, and some of the comments i made were (admittedly) poor attempts at humor that you clearly got offended by. if my obsession is to try to convince everybody that all of us can appreciate one climate then your obsession is to try to force everyone back into their cocoons and learn nothing from this and thou shall not discuss preferences. i ain't forcing you to be here. you can't force everyone to stop discussing preferences and you can't stop people like me from trying to persuade people based on our preferences. aren't you doing the same thing? you prefer to not discuss preferences. and trying to convince me that i shouldn't do it. ironic?

but hey, 36% of people agree with me so far. thats actually a better ratio than i expected. (of course 22 votes isn't exactly scientific evidence but i like to think the title attracts more angry grumpy people than those who actually like it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 03:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
why is it their preference?
My logic is that I want to see snow and fall leaves. You can't see that in Caracas. And I wan't variation for the sake of variation.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:59 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
A for me.

Close to an optimum climate for " easy living" (for everyone) imo. Not too hot or cold. Reasonable rainfall and sunshine.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:23 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Probably a B. I want plenty more sunshine, less rain and definitely lower humidities.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Probably a B. I want plenty more sunshine, less rain and definitely lower humidities.
it probably doesn't fell as humid as the chart implies. keep in mind that is the average humidity, high in the morning, moderate by afternoon.

and initial impressions about the sunshine which again i understand what you are saying, could be a bit higher, i'm thinking around 2800, similar to where i live, even though we get our fair share of cloudy days during the winter months... honestly this statistic i would take with a grain of salt, because how exactly do they measure sunshine hours? at what point is it too cloudy to not count as a sunshine hour? i'm thinking since Caracas gets a lot of partly cloudy days (mix of clouds and sun) those figures might be misleading.

and yea 142 days is a lot, i would have preferred more like 100 days but i can't say there is anything inherently wrong with the yearly accumulation, seems like a fair amount. and also many days have brief showers so its not like the UK where a rainy day is literally a whole day of rain. maybe 30 minutes or so and its back to sunshine and partly cloudy skies.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:00 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
I simply like more desert-like climates with uncompromisingly clear skies for the majority of days. Caracas is not bad for its type.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I simply like more desert-like climates with uncompromisingly clear skies for the majority of days. Caracas is not bad for its type.
do you like hot deserts? because i don't know of many deserts with uncompromisingly clear skies and only warm temperatures.

Cape Verde comes to mind but thats about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praia#Climate

and still we are only talking about a few hundred more sunshine hours compared to Caracas.

--------------------

also wanted to add one thing based on discussion over the last few pages

i like to think that of all the climates in the world, statistically speaking more people would prefer something like Caracas. of course not everybody, you can't get everybody to agree on anything...

but the majority of people? yes, i do believe you can get the majority of people to agree on something.

Hawaii for instance. its known as "Paradise" for a reason. Fargo, ND?... err... not so much. sure there are a handful of people that think Fargo is the bee's knees but they are a small minority.

and not even that i think the majority of people find a place like Hawaii or Caracas perfect out of a pool of the world's climates, but i do believe they would make up the largest minority, and therefore the majority.

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 02-02-2016 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-02-2016, 03:27 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
and also many days have brief showers so its not like the UK where a rainy day is literally a whole day of rain.
Far from it in my experience. Having lived most of my life in a climate similar to London's, whole days of rain are quite rare. Scotland might be different, but the Southeast isn't like that.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Whole days of rain are quite common here.

I agree with the OP-most people would probably find this climate close to ideal.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:01 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,215,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
You are an idiot. In that same token - why don't all heat lovers go move to the Sahara in mid-summer without AC?

And I DON'T spend most of my time "in a building with a constant temperature like Caracas". I'm outside the grand majority of the day. So way to make an assumption.

I don't have to be comfortable for me to enjoy the weather outside. I love battling the elements, that being said, that doesn't mean I want to spend the whole day outside in a driving, windy rain or in an F5 tornado or in a -80 F blizzard. I just enjoy experiencing different types of weather conditions, experiencing the same or similar weather everyday is extremely boring. Also, I don't really give a rats ass whether you understand or not, I just don't like being told what kind of I "should" like by some random moron on the internet.

You are going to have to grow up and accept the fact that some people don't prefer mild, comfortable weather. I take interest over comfort any day of the week. Not everybody prefers the same as you. So stop telling people what they should and shouldn't like.
Your 100% right! Everybody has different wx preferences and the OP needs realize that not everybody likes mild boring weather all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather