Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How awesome is Caracas's climate? (specifically the wikipedia statistics)
so awesome it breaks the rating scale and creates a rip in the time space continuum 3 10.00%
A+ 0 0%
A 5 16.67%
A- 4 13.33%
less than an A (i'm miserable and i don't like nice things) 18 60.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 05:49 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
Sorry for bringing back an old thread but you're sorta right. Despite everyone's kvetching over this, every single body would be comfortable in this climate if they're normal BMI. It's not my idea of a dream climate, I like a little bit of variation but no doubt it's one of the best climates out there and I'd be happy year-round! You guys seem to forget the fact that we came out of the highlands of East Africa where temps are relatively similar to this. We get it, you love snow but you're kidding yourself if you wouldn't like this climate if you're a healthy weight.

I weigh 125 lbs and I'd hate a climate like this. Speaketh for thyself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 06:26 PM

This thread is ridiculous. I swear if I see that "hunter gatherer in tropical Africa" crap one more time. Yes, I should base my weather preferences on what our ancient ancestors lived in. Hey... maybe some of those ancestors hated being hot all the time, which is why many went north lol. I mean, I'm mostly European anyway.

Also, the argument of "you're inside a climate controlled building most of the time." And??? So I can only enjoy weather that I can sleep outside in? Yea, I wouldn't live outside even if it was constantly 75 degrees. Forget weather. Bugs??? Disease??? Animals??? Just because we live indoors doesn't mean all of us want outside to feel like inside. Plus... one thing I love about the seasons is that if I have a fireplace, I can light a fire when its cold... which is super effin' cozy. Don't get to really do that in a climate thats so warm.

Furthermore, I love plants that grow in continental climates. My favourite flower is the tulip which THRIVES up here but not in the tropics. I get it, some of y'all love your palms and hibiscuses. I love my tulips and lilacs. Different preferences. Get over it.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:42 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

Furthermore, I love plants that grow in continental climates. My favourite flower is the tulip which THRIVES up here but not in the tropics. I get it, some of y'all love your palms and hibiscuses. I love my tulips and lilacs. Different preferences. Get over it.
Kind of a nitpick, but there is a sweet spot with regards to elevation where you can grow roses and hydrangeas underneath coconut palms. So you can do both.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:27 AM

1,503 posts, read 915,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor herself View Post
It's all subjective. People have different preferences, and I doubt there has ever been any comprehensive studies on what temperatures people generally prefer. You're just guessing and or assuming. Weather preferences might be as diverse as preferences about the opposite sex, the same sex, music, politics, art, cinema, literature, everything really that is by definition subjective.

Why the preferences might seem unrepresentative or odd is that people here have a special interest in weather and climate. This might create an interest and desire to experience very varying elements of weather. Compare: for most people a Toyota Corolla is probably quite a decent car which you can live with and be comfortable with. It does its job. But for a car enthusiast a Corolla is a hopelessly boring vanilla piece of uninteresting rubbish.
Nevertheless, there are loads of people on this subforum who hate cold or extreme heat. There are also people who like very benign comfortable climates.

People like me love all four seasons. My preferred climates are in New England, Balkans, Southern Great Lakes and such areas. I want to see the seasons change, the spring awakening and the bloom, the vibrant summer, the crispy autumn days with fall colours, the gearing down to winter, and finally the beauty of the heart of winter. A climate like Caracas denies me of all this. That's the main reason why Caracas is one of the worst climates for me, because it's the same weather every day. Comfortable and inoffensive, yes, but utterly boring. I like steak, but I don't want to have it every day, because I know I will start to get bored with it, and finally I would start to dislike it.

Oh, and one reason why I like cold winters is that it kills off stuff I can't stand: anacondas, tarantulas, scorpions, malaria, dengue and other nasty stuff. There's my take on biology.

For me it seems that the people who are liking Caracas the most on this thread, are also the ones who are unable or unwilling to accept any other preferences people have. They are also unable to grasp the fact that some things people might like is dependent on weather. Like skiing or snowboarding? You can't do that in Caracas. Like marathons or playing football in cool fresh weather? Can't do that either.
Anacondas? Please, that's like me saying I don't like the climate of Toronto because I don't want to be mauled by a bear

Old 04-09-2019, 04:07 AM
tij

453 posts, read 337,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Anacondas? Please, that's like me saying I don't like the climate of Toronto because I don't want to be mauled by a bear
The additional burden due to tropical diseases and pests is a very real aspect of living in tropical or high-end subtropical climates on Earth. For instance, even in developed areas like Singapore, Dengue Fever is a real threat. A chill season to force dormancy significantly reduces the real life pest/disease burden, or moving to highland areas away from malarial lowlands.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:00 AM

1,503 posts, read 915,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tij View Post
The additional burden due to tropical diseases and pests is a very real aspect of living in tropical or high-end subtropical climates on Earth. For instance, even in developed areas like Singapore, Dengue Fever is a real threat. A chill season to force dormancy significantly reduces the real life pest/disease burden, or moving to highland areas away from malarial lowlands.
This is a bit of a pith helmet colonial attitude. These are really problems of poverty and poor health care. If we're going to count them it only makes sense to also count problems of poverty in cold winter climates too, such as lack of adequate heating or housing. For example I was watching a documentary about how the homeless struggle to survive in Detroit, seeking shelter in abandoned housing in winter. Even in the UK which is not particularly cold in winter there's a considerable health problem in winter with poor housing through cold and damp.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Kind of a nitpick, but there is a sweet spot with regards to elevation where you can grow roses and hydrangeas underneath coconut palms. So you can do both.

Spring flowers are just one tiny component of what I love about continental climates. I don't think roses particularly need cold weather like tulips anyway (doesn't Colombia grow a ton of roses?) I also love the colours of maple trees in autumn. You also can't make maple syrup without cold weather.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:16 PM

47 posts, read 39,159 times
A+ it is my favorite climate.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:12 PM

54 posts, read 26,737 times
Quote:

Biology bro. Every time I see a snake dying it's automatically a win for me. Biology was after all an argument here. Bears, no problem with them.

Quote:
This is a bit of a pith helmet colonial attitude. These are really problems of poverty and poor health care. If we're going to count them it only makes sense to also count problems of poverty in cold winter climates too, such as lack of adequate heating or housing. For example I was watching a documentary about how the homeless struggle to survive in Detroit, seeking shelter in abandoned housing in winter. Even in the UK which is not particularly cold in winter there's a considerable health problem in winter with poor housing through cold and damp.

Pith helmet colonial attitude? Me, as a representative of the White Aryan race should not try to breed with "darker" races, because biologically the offspring would be "mongrels" or "half-breeds" or whatever, and not my mirror image. Biologically, it is my genetic duty to ensure the continuity of the white race.

This is obviously preposterous and I don't support it in any way, but that's the biological argument. Make your offspring look like you, so you know it is from you.

How did blue eyes become common in Europe? Because blue-eyed people married and bred with other blue-eyed people, and finally it became common by selective biological breeding.

I doubt any of you "biology enthusiasts" are too fond of this stuff.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor herself View Post
Biology bro. Every time I see a snake dying it's automatically a win for me. Biology was after all an argument here. Bears, no problem with them.

Pith helmet colonial attitude? Me, as a representative of the White Aryan race should not try to breed with "darker" races, because biologically the offspring would be "mongrels" or "half-breeds" or whatever, and not my mirror image. Biologically, it is my genetic duty to ensure the continuity of the white race.

This is obviously preposterous and I don't support it in any way, but that's the biological argument. Make your offspring look like you, so you know it is from you.

How did blue eyes become common in Europe? Because blue-eyed people married and bred with other blue-eyed people, and finally it became common by selective biological breeding.

I doubt any of you "biology enthusiasts" are too fond of this stuff.

That's pretty messed up. Most snakes are harmless, first of all, and even venomous ones are still living creatures with a vital role in the ecosystem. (though some snakes are invasive, its the fault of humans anyway) I don't like lizards myself, so I getcha. Lizards freak me out even though most are harmless. I don't like for them to die, either. I've killed a few lizards before (only inside, due to my phobia I have resorted to spraying them if I found one in my bedroom and had no one to remove it for me) and always feel terrible about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather