Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 06:25 PM

633 posts, read 661,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I've even seen those here occasionally. Shrub-like palms are nice actually, and shorter ones in general. I think that's why I don't like Washingtonia or CIDPs. I prefer the largest trees to be pines.
i sort of get what you mean, i like when palms grow beyond the tree canopy or stay under the tree canopy, but its kind of awkward when they are at the same height as pines and other trees...

we've been off topic for a while, half this thread is about Texas and Florida now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 06:32 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
i sort of get what you mean, i like when palms grow beyond the tree canopy or stay under the tree canopy, but its kind of awkward when they are at the same height as pines and other trees...

we've been off topic for a while, half this thread is about Texas and Florida now
Any thread that discusses the southern us always has to go off topic and discuss it's subtropicality and compare the palms that grow here to the ones in other places as if palms are the only and best indicator of a subtropical climate.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:41 PM

633 posts, read 661,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Any thread that discusses the southern us always has to go off topic and discuss it's subtropicality and compare the palms that grow here to the ones in other places as if palms are the only and best indicator of a subtropical climate.
they happen to be little green data points, yea they are damn good indicators. they incorporate temperature barriers, precipitation barriers, etc. you can outline the 5°F mark in Florida just by looking at the native range of the Sabal:

Old 01-31-2016, 10:18 PM

172 posts, read 208,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post

So let's steer it back on topic:
//www.city-data.com/forum/42837404-post143.html

Old 02-01-2016, 07:45 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
Thanks guys for the clarification, I certainly find many places at the northern most designations of the koppen classification for humid subtropical to be highly debatable and in many cases absurd. In serious need of some updating. DC is classified as humid subtropical and we just had a storm with close to three feet of snow! It would be nice for a classification for the mid atlantic with something in the area of continental and subtropical.

I believe the line should be around somewhere below richmond for humid subtropical to begin, places like raleigh and especially southern north carolina rarely get snow, I just looked at at temps, 72 degrees there today in raleigh and it is just about 4 hours from DC. Much warmer water temperatures as well start below virginia beach.

Louisiana and Georgia both are great examples I believe of humid subtropical, the winter stability numbers certainly will be debated by farmers , alot of farmers are transitioning more into produce and citrus and other forms of income in south georgia and louisiana.

America has to get from being so completely dependent on california for produce, , climate models and the fossil record are showing california's 21st-century precipitation levels could be significantly lower than the 20th-century norm. Drought or no drought. Great article by mother jones on america needing georgia and southern farmers transitioning from cotton to more produce

There's a Place That's Nearly Perfect for Growing Food. It's Not California. | Mother Jones

South Georgia farmers hope Satsuma oranges produce sweet results | News | albanyherald.com

My wife has been working in in savannah and the sea islands lately , mid 70s temperatures and just gorgeous she said.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:16 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Louisiana is more subtropical, Georgia coast gets colder weather in the winter.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:38 PM

346 posts, read 199,158 times
Louisiana but coastal South GA is not too far behind. Part of South GA right above East Florida (near Jax) can be warmer than New Orleans in the winter.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:39 PM

346 posts, read 199,158 times
Even Savannah GA and New Orleans have similar winter average temps, Tybee Island may even have warmer averages by a few degrees than New Orleans, especially for low.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:15 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
Even Savannah GA and New Orleans have similar winter average temps, Tybee Island may even have warmer averages by a few degrees than New Orleans, especially for low.
Haha, what data are you looking at? NONE of the Sea Islands can match downtown New Orleans' average lows in the winter.

Average lows (1981-2010 normals):

New Orleans Audubon Park: 45.4F
New Orleans Intl: 44.7F
Fernandina Beach, FL: 44.5F
St. Simons Island, GA: 42.6F
Sapelo Island, GA: 41.6F

Average annual minimum temperature (1990-2020):

New Orleans Audubon Park: 29F
New Orleans Intl: 28F
Jacksonville Beach, FL: 28F (data for Fernandina Beach is incomplete)
St. Simons Island, GA: 25F
Sapelo Island, GA: 24F

Louisiana has even warmer zones than NOLA that Georgia cannot hold a candle to like Port Fourchon and Grand Isle.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:17 PM

859 posts, read 697,317 times
Louisiana definitely. Further South on average and low elevation (500 feet max). Meanwhile GA has 4,000+ foot mountains and extends further North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather