Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 05:42 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times

Advertisements

Thank you for posting this. It irritates me to no end when people claim that. I used to live in a desert where the highs in summer averaged in the 45-47 C range. Lows out in the open desert were 27-29 C, but in the urban island where I lived, it almost never dipped below 32 C between June 15th and August 31st. Average lows were in the 33-35 C range because of all the concrete and asphalt.

Even in the winter, diurnal ranges were low. If the nights were chilly due to the arrival of a cold front, so were the days.

Diurnal ranges are influenced much more by altitude. The high deserts of the U.S, the high semi-arid cities in Iran (Saghez for example) etc. show impressive diurnal ranges. The best one I found was a 3 C night following a 31 C day in Saghez in June 2015. Amarillo, TX is not that high but shows a good diurnal range in late winter and early spring.

But here's something else that irritates me even more. A lot of people think you can get hypothermia in any body of water, if you stay in it long enough. If you swam in the Persian Gulf between mid-June and late September, you'd be more likely to get heat exhaustion. The human body is constantly producing heat so if you want to stay in water indefinitely and survive, it has to be a temperature where heat robbed = heat produced. The body cannot cool off by sweating as it does in air. This equilibrium water temperature is around 28-32 C, depending on one's metabolism and physique. Tropical oceans average 27 C, so hypothermia is possible although very unlikely. The Persian Gulf averages 35-37 C, making heat exhaustion inevitable as the body cannot cool off via sweating. There have been cases of people who drowned when swimming in the summer because of heat exhaustion. A water temperature equal to human body temperature (37 C) will give you heat exhaustion within hours.

I once got into an argument with someone over this because she got hypothermic when swimming off Florida in 27-degree water and assumed that this would be the case for any body of water anywhere in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 06:57 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
even western inland US deserts, don't get that cool at night if their afternoons are hot (above 90°F). Moab, Utah nights aren't that warm for summer but definitely not freezing cold:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moab,_Utah#Climate
Yeah, but I gotta say that these nights are still relatively cool.

I had places like Pinnacles National Park in mind, though.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:29 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,177,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yeah, but I gotta say that these nights are still relatively cool.

I had places like Pinnacles National Park in mind, though.
Pinnacles is near a cold ocean which causes the large diurnal ranges. Doesn't qualify as desert though; it's a Mediterranean climate. Here's a better example of a desert with a large diurnal range; averages highs of 90 F/32 C in summer, yet it has recorded subfreezing temperatures every month of the year and even an extreme freeze in June.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elko,_Nevada#Climate

Old 01-24-2016, 07:39 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,279,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Pinnacles is near a cold ocean which causes the large diurnal ranges.
Makes no sense at all. Why would ocean influence increase diurnal range?

Old 01-24-2016, 07:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Maybe that's not quite right, but anywhere that where the Pacific influence isn't blocked off by mountains in Central and Northern California has lows around the low 50s. The Central Valley on the other side of the coast range gets lows around 60°F.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Maybe that's not quite right, but anywhere that where the Pacific influence isn't blocked off by mountains in Central and Northern California has lows around the low 50s. The Central Valley on the other side of the coast range gets lows around 60°F.
It still wouldn't explain Pinnacles' lows. 45 F is well below the ocean temperature in summer.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:49 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,305,260 times
Quote:
Im not exactly sure but does that cool breeze from San Fransisco kind of do the same thing to Sacramento's nights in summer and keep them quite cool?

Old 01-24-2016, 08:05 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
It does, but indirectly. If I understand right, the cold ocean holds down daytime temperatures in summer as well as discourage rainfall activity in areas to the lee of the mountains, while radiational cooling and dry air result in cold nights. Without the cold ocean, convectional rainfall would encourage plant growth and high humidity to maintain warm nights. But obviously, places that are RIGHT next to the ocean will have relatively warm nights as well.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
It does, but indirectly. If I understand right, the cold ocean holds down daytime temperatures in summer as well as discourage rainfall activity in areas to the lee of the mountains, while radiational cooling and dry air result in cold nights. Without the cold ocean, convectional rainfall would encourage plant growth and high humidity to maintain warm nights. But obviously, places that are RIGHT next to the ocean will have relatively warm nights as well.
It doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of moderating Pinnacles' summer max temps. Obviously not much ocean influence there.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:19 PM

49 posts, read 50,065 times
I wonder if it has something to do with how cold it feels, physiologically, when you're adjusted to really hot daytime temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palider View Post
An exaggeration of the fact that deserts have high diurnal temperature variation. Check Riyadh for example:

http://www.riyadh.climatemps.com/riy...ures-chart.gif
Are people pretty active at night there in the summers due to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather