Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 09:36 PM

486 posts, read 445,087 times

Advertisements

Is east Asia very cold or is western North America very hot? Because I find the climate very weird and latitude.

Take for example two cities.

Vancouver, Canada. 49°N

Владивосто́к (Vladivostok), Russia. 43°N

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladivostok

Compare the climates. You can tell that you East Asia is much more extreme climate but is much colder. Vancouver is much further north yet it still much warmer in the winter then than Владивосто́к. Vancouver is the furthest north major city on the west coast of North America. And there are many cities in East Asia that are further south than Vancouver that have much colder winters.

List of major cities in the East Asia that are further south in Vancouver you have a much better winters.

평양 (Pyongyang). 39°N

札幌市 (Sapporo). 43°N

北京 (Beijing). 39°N

서울 (Seoul). 37°N

You see the point in trying to make. Now I know that in the northern hemisphere the eastern side of the continent tends to be much colder than the western side of the continent at the same latitude. But this is just a huge difference. I think just east Asia is really cold. All of the cities that are mentioned on this list are further south than Vancouver get all of the cities have a humid continental climate with winters having temperature is colder than 0°C. Vancouver usually just stays around freezing.

Although the west coast of North America is pretty warm. Vancouver is the furthest north major city on the West Coast of North America and is the only major city on the west coast of North America that probably ever see you snowy winters. Vancouver is quite a bit colder than Seattle and cities like Portland, San Francisco, and LA probably rarely ever never cease nope. OK sure those cities have seen snow before but not every year. There's actually never been a year that Vancouver has had no snow.

But anyway back to the point sure this is the same truth that is why the east coast of North America is much colder for its latitude in the west coast of North America and Europe but at least Europe is pretty far north that I can remain colder than east coast of North America because even know it has a warmer current it's also for the north so the climate of northern Europe similar to that of the East Coast.

And then we got cities they're similar latitude to Vancouver. That are in East Asia although they are quite far in land so I can understand why they're like -12°C in the winter compared to Vancouver is balmy 3°C in winter.

Хабаровск, Russia is at 48°N and has an average winter temperature of -19.6°C. As a daily mean temperature in January. Vancouver is at 49°N and has an average daily mean temperature in January if 3°C. Why do I think this is messed up OK I already said that the east coast of Asia is much colder for its latitude the West coast of North America. The two cities are similar latitudes but obviously Vancouver would be warmer. Vancouver is right by the water so it has a mild climate. But why is Хабаровск -19.6°C in January. Yeah I know you Stasia is freezing cold in the winter for its latitude and it's an inland location but still that's pretty freezing for that latitude even for an inland location. Or maybe just Vancouver is too warm in the winter which probably the problem.

So yeah what climates are better western North America or east Asia.

I would definitely say East Asia has better climates because the seasons are we more defined. The winters are much colder which is better in the summer there about the same but at least the summers are wetter and rainier. Although I hate the precipitation pattern East Asia. The winters are way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way times the billion to dry and too sunny. Winters are supposed to be wet cold dark gloomy with heavy snow which is how I like them so I would pick a far north location in western North America for winters because at least the winters there a cold and very snowy. Because of the wet high precipitation. Although I do like the summers in East Asia summers I do like to be a little bit drier than winters.

The only city in East Asia that has nice winters are Sapporo because Sapporo has wet very snowy winters and that's awesome..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 09:47 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
East Asia is much colder in winter than the PNW due to the Siberian Anticyclone. I for one am glad that we don't have Khabarovsk's or Sapporo's winters here. That would be a disaster IMO.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
East Asia is much colder in winter than the PNW due to the Siberian Anticyclone. I for one am glad that we don't have Khabarovsk's or Sapporo's winters here. That would be a disaster IMO.
I wonder why Vancouver so warm. No technically I don't live in Vancouver I live in the Fraser Valley which is about 100 km east of Vancouver. So the winters here definitely colder than Vancouver and it definitely snow was here a lot more to Vancouver but still the temperatures here are usually around freezing during the day and if were lucky sometimes go below freezing during the night and if the Fraser Valley is lucky I can see 20 to 30 cm of snow but usually we only got like 3 to 5 cm snow and it usually only stays on the ground for like three days here.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Also, being on the eastern side of a continent is a great help in being a colder climate to begin with.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:53 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Also, being on the eastern side of a continent is a great help in being a colder climate to begin with.
Yeah, this. You can't really compare the western and eastern coasts of two landmasses and draw any conclusion. Compare West to West (Vancouver vs London) or East to East (Halifax vs Vladivostok).

Old 01-30-2016, 06:07 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
OP it's easy. West of East Asia is land for thousands of miles. West of North America is thousands of miles of open water. Water retains heat far better than land does. All that matters are where the prevailing winds are coming from, water or land. The climate of Vancouver is almost the same as Paris or London

Old 01-30-2016, 10:01 AM

Although I think the West Coast tends to be rainier and more humid.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:46 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Toad 32 View Post
Although I think the West Coast tends to be rainier and more humid.
Not in the summer though when I want it the most.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:31 PM

795 posts, read 738,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Not necessarily. Valparaíso, Chile has the same annual mean temperature as Mar del Plata, Argentina (both 14 °C), but Mar del Plata is not only located on the east coast of South America (while Valparaíso is located on the west) but also it is closer to the pole (around 5° closer, which is not a small difference).

Old 01-30-2016, 01:40 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palider View Post
Not necessarily. Valparaíso, Chile has the same annual mean temperature as Mar del Plata, Argentina (both 14 °C), but Mar del Plata is not only located on the east coast of South America (while Valparaíso is located on the west) but also it is closer to the pole (around 5° closer, which is not a small difference).
That's easy, Mar del Plata doesn't have the same amount of landmass to it's west or southwest as continents in the NH does. Also, the west coast of Chile is influenced by a cold current.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather