Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,227,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
You've exactly explained why Eastern North America is a climate fail IMO.
Oh god, not another "climate fail" poster!

Trust me, the Western half of North America has just as bad extremes as the east, just not along the coast! Heck, it snows in summer there sometimes! Still doesn't make it a fail though!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 09:54 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Oh god, not another "climate fail" poster!
It's just my opinion... you don't have to agree. The climate may be what it is but does that mean that people have to like it? Where else in the world has such drastic swings in temperature in the winter except North America east of the Rockies? Even East Asia which is thr only other place cold for its latitude in winter has far more stable temps in winter than Eastern North America.

Edit: it only generally only snows west of the rockies in western North America at higher elevations outside of winter.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:03 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
If I want boring I will watch baseball or golf. When it comes to weather & climate give me the swings!
Well said

Old 02-15-2016, 10:21 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
In Michigan, this winter and last winter had very brief, if not historic cold snaps (way below zero) but in almost all cases, they lasted only a couple days, if that. I think that's actually normal, although decades ago, I recall cold snaps set in sometimes for weeks at a time.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:22 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
Talk about a crazy couple of days here in the upstate ny area

Last night was -30 to -60 wind chill and during the daylight today still -10 to -20 and tomorrow the high and low temperate are both 25 and then Tuesday almost 50 degrees with rain . Almost 100 degree temperature swing in days . Can't make this stuff up
Windchill doesn't really qualify as "temperature".

Old 02-15-2016, 10:58 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Average Temp Departure 1st week of February VS 2nd week of February.

Nothing boring here.

http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/onlinedatas...php#mapsGraphs

Old 02-15-2016, 11:10 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Windchill doesn't really qualify as "temperature".
This. More like a 60-65 degree temperature swing which, in the central parts of the continent... isn't really rare to see those types of swings in 48 hours... or even 18 hours really.

With that being said, it was brutally cold in upstate NY for the last couple of days and I feel for you. Brrrrr.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:37 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
You've exactly explained why Eastern North America is a climate fail IMO.

West Coast is also an utter fail because of the total lack of thunderstorms and that you have to sacrifice warmth to get rain and warm rain is pretty much an oxymoron outside of our warm epoch of Southern California of 2015. Not to mention the ridiculously cold summer SST north of Santa Barbara along with that pesky marine layer.

Yes, your Vancouver is protected from those anomalous cold snaps that the Eastern U.S gets but you guys will never get a proper SUMMER.

Eastern Australia has by far superior climates to anything in the U.S, Europe, or Asia

Old 02-15-2016, 11:45 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
West Coast is also an utter fail because of the total lack of thunderstorms and that you have to sacrifice warmth to get rain and warm rain is pretty much an oxymoron outside of our warm epoch of Southern California of 2015. Not to mention the ridiculously cold summer SST north of Santa Barbara along with that pesky marine layer.

Yes, your Vancouver is protected from those anomalous cold snaps that the Eastern U.S gets but you guys will never get a proper SUMMER.

Eastern Australia has by far superior climates to anything in the U.S, Europe, or Asia
Thunderstorms aren't important to me at all and if I never had another one ever again it wouldn't bother me. I agree that Vancouver summers leave much to be desired but it's way better here IMO than the equivalent latitude on the east coast in Newfoundland/Quebec North Shore with their super frigid and snowy garbage winters.

I also agree that Australia is like climate nirvana

Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Right now it is 84 degrees and I am loving it. My phone tells me it will be 90 degrees by noon. This is the kind of winter weather I love. I prefer the sun to be up year round, blue skies if we can get them and a warm breeze coming off the ocean. You all can have that blizzard weather. Not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather