Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 02:52 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
It's not named after the NZ Delaware Bay. There was a colonial person named De la Warr (the first royal governor of Virginia), and after him the river and bay were named. The Delaware tribe (an indigenous American people) were named after the river/bay because they lived close to it IIRC. The tribe's actual name is Lenni Lenape.
Yep, I was just trying to be funny.

Our Delaware Bay was actually named after an American sailing ship the brigantine "Delaware", that was wrecked there in 1863. At school, we all learned the story of how brave Huria Te Amoho Wikitoria Matenga , swam out through the stormy surf to secure a rescue line.

Last edited by Joe90; 03-19-2016 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 09:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Been almost a week, hope you see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice story and pics. Next time you go up PM me. I'll grab some close-ups of Satellite and Radar.
Ok, thanks. I used the Mount Washington Observatory forecast, which adds their "local knowledge" to the usual model-based forecasts. I suspect local mountain weather is a place where local knowledge and experience has a big benefit to forecasts.

Quote:
I assume you didn't check the models day before or maybe the forecasts were off, or you just don't care getting caught like that? Whenever there's any kind of clouds, moisture, system, winds, instability, those mountains up high are tough to be on.
The forecasts had a clipper move in that day; rain showers were forecast for the lowest elevations; with snow showers higher up. Totals didn't look high; and I've done winter mountain hiking in light snow before. Wetter snow felt more of a nuisance than usual. It was heavier than I expected higher up, mountains made it stronger and with strong wind gusts off and on.

I knew the weather that day wouldn't be the best; I was already there so wanted to make the most of the trip up there. Highest elevations were out from strong winds; wasn't aiming to go to the top of a mountain but a lake below Mt. Washington. Thought there'd be some views, didn't expect the clouds to be that low; but Mt. Washington is a local cloud magnet, other areas of the Whites probably wouldn't be so bad. Here's a post on the area I hiked, it's not popular in winter at all:

AMC Conditions: What is Wilderness? Hiking in the Great Gulf

Quote:
Did your hands, feet or head get wet at all? You're lucky you were able to turn around PLUS knew the trail/mountain otherwise you can easily take a wrong turn and get lost especially with the prints getting covered fast.
Clothing was good enough nothing soaked through. Could make out the trail from the gap in the trees except at the end — and it changed to rain.

Quote:
Were you checking the vertical profile temps to see if it was going to change to rain? You can tell if you're close. the Flakes would be Huge Fat heavy and judging by your description sounded like it wanted to change over soon. But sounds like it stopped instead of drizzled?
I knew Mt. Washington was quite a bit colder than where I was and with the temperatures at or below freezing, it should have stayed at snow. But it the flakes were huge, fat and heavy. Snow lightened soon after I turned around. It must have had snowed hard at 2500-3000 feet by the fresh snow, but I think it stopped sooner there than further up. There was a bit of liquid (rain) drizzle at the end of the trail but it was very light.

Quote:
How long were you hiking in the snow for before getting back to near the trail head and clearing up?
Maybe 3 to 3.5 hours.

Quote:
When you say "next day" did you camp out in a tent or stay at the top? Sorry if that wasn't clear. Didn't sound like you made it to the top.
Stayed at a place in a nearby town. Not as adventurous but more comfortable than winter camping.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

A few local photos walking around, just over a week ago. Buds!

In Brooklyn. New looking home squeezed into the right amongst much older housing. Taking local / arterial roads to skip a jammed expressway near rush hour. Think Infamous92 lived in this part of Brooklyn for a short time? Think the street was in East New York.

Another part of Brooklyn. Houses squeezed between relatively "new" apartments / row houses, which are at least 100 years old.

Random looking high rise, is it high enough to be a high rise?

Old 03-20-2016, 05:41 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Wood stove is fired up this morning, feels like winter outside. 27°F. Ready for the snow later.
Roof camera ready too, see it?

Roof cam

Old 03-20-2016, 07:40 AM

Impressive convection clouds Friday afternoon

Old 03-20-2016, 08:35 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,891 times

Old 03-20-2016, 09:13 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,118 times
Ufo Clouds
Pico, Azores

https://www.facebook.com/cyclone.of....type=3&theater

Old 03-20-2016, 09:40 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Struggling past 30s today(4C). It is so nice to go food shopping and not worry about melting or spoiling!

Old 03-20-2016, 09:47 AM

29,521 posts, read 19,616,477 times
https://twitter.com/TammieSouza/stat...34752633901056

Old 03-20-2016, 01:11 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Today was cloudy with a high of 11c, here are some pics from the afternoon.

Sign is a bit old, it's not mushroom season any more.

One of the few evergreen trees in the park; almost all of them are beech or sweet chestnut, as it was originally a deer park, and the deer need food...

A watering hole for the deer. There were hundreds of parakeets shrieking overhead.

Parakeet feather.

Sweet chestnut and beech woodland. These won't be green for another month, while even oaks are now starting to get leaves.

One of the noisy culprits.

Quality is terrible with my phone camera.

Thames.

Out of the park, and anything that isn't a beech or a sweet chestnut is looking more lively. Magnolia in bloom.

Olive tree.

An A380 behind the tree.

Horse chestnut on the left, with leaves starting to emerge.

Pampas.

Loquat.

Holm oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather