Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 12:28 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times

Advertisements

Those clouds became thunderstorms later on. Some also had golf ball sized hail and rotation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:23 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Interesting seeing the different comments on the London cloud.To me they are clouds that are common and can be seen in any season. They typically appear after rain, and are quite different to the type of towering cumulus that develops in clear sky conditions.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:19 AM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Interesting seeing the different comments on the London cloud.To me they are clouds that are common and can be seen in any season. They typically appear after rain, and are quite different to the type of towering cumulus that develops in clear sky conditions.
We see Cb at any time of year, but they are obviously more common between March-October. We've had supercell storms in winter before, but they normally only occur a few times a year in the whole of southern or central England!

Old 04-13-2016, 03:44 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
We had a supercell storm pass nearby last year on 1 July - made for spectacular viewing. Such bright and frequent lightning.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:27 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Interesting seeing the different comments on the London cloud.
It sure is.

Not sure some know that you need "WARM" air at the surface for a "RISE" of the air. The warm rising air cools aloft and condensates. The moisture keeps the inside of the cloud warm as the air around it way up there in the atmosphere is cooler. This keeps the air "UNSTABLE" and so the clouds continues "VERTICALLY".

You don't get rising air with cool air at the surface. Higher dewpoints also fuel it.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:08 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
It sure is.

Not sure some know that you need "WARM" air at the surface for a "RISE" of the air. The warm rising air cools aloft and condensates. The moisture keeps the inside of the cloud warm as the air around it way up there in the atmosphere is cooler. This keeps the air "UNSTABLE" and so the clouds continues "VERTICALLY".

You don't get rising air with cool air at the surface. Higher dewpoints also fuel it.
It doesn't need to be that warm and humid though, with London reaching 16C and a dewpoint of 8C on the day of those photos.

The clouds to me look like classic after rain cumulus, where a rainfall has occurred and warming soon produces low level cumulus (10000ft) I don't associate them with thunder.

Those photos don't look like thunderstorm convection cloud that I'm used to seeing, as they form in clear skies only.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:13 AM
B87

Quote:
It doesn't need to be that warm and humid though, with London reaching 16C and a dewpoint of 8C on the day of those photos.

The clouds to me look like classic after rain cumulus, where a rainfall has occurred and warming soon produces low level cumulus (10000ft) I don't associate them with thunder.

Those photos don't look like thunderstorm convection cloud that I'm used to seeing, as they form in clear skies only.
These clouds eventually became thunderstorms and dropped heavy rain and hail. At the time I took the pictures, they had only just started producing rain. Later on in the afternoon, a LP supercell moved across Devon towards Bristol, lasting 6 hours.

Cambium said he usually sees those clouds with temps at or above 65f. It was around 63-65f across the SE when those pics were taken, so not surprising.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:13 AM

753 posts, read 837,615 times
Some major clouds over East Vancouver and Burnaby yesterday: https://twitter.com/dsyedasad/status/720088628920082432

Old 04-13-2016, 11:49 AM
B87

Some pics from today. Mostly sunny, and then convection started around 4pm and it clouded over with isolated showers.

Early this morning. Evergreens, some deciduous leaves, and plenty of bare trees still.

This view shows how far behind the foliage is, normally all of this would be green by now. Taken around 5:30-6pm.

Can't really tell on here, but the cloud base in the middle looked like it was almost in contact with the ground!

Trees in the rose family, such as apples, cherries, plums and almonds are all showing signs of life.

Cumulus congestus starting to build.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:02 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:

You do not get rising air with cool surface air. That's arguing against science.

Look at the photo again and you'll see "blue" in the skies. Those are convective. And unless you have different meaning for Cumulonimbus as well, those are Thunderstorm clouds.. You don't need clear skies for them to form, although that does help when the sun "WARMS" the surface which helps create more instability.

Am I saying it NEVER happens in winter or below 65F? NOPE. Especially in southern Latitudes. But its a Spring/Summer look because thats when it happens most.

Also... not all Cumulonimbus convective clouds form thunderstorms. Sometimes the ingredient wasn't enough to produce the thunder, lightning and downpours and the clouds just collapse or hit pockets of dry air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
These clouds eventually became thunderstorms and dropped heavy rain and hail. At the time I took the pictures, they had only just started producing rain. Later on in the afternoon, a LP supercell moved across Devon towards Bristol, lasting 6 hours.

Cambium said he usually sees those clouds with temps at or above 65f. It was around 63-65f across the SE when those pics were taken, so not surprising.

Mid 60s. Close enough. Is there a discussion around from a weather service that day or forecast? Anyway... seen some interesting comments lately on this matter..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather