Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 10:43 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Atlantic Coastal Pine Barrens:

Northeastern Coastal Forests:

First three were taken minutes away from me, last one was taken in NYC. I can't identify any of the deciduous trees, but the pines are Pinus rigida (Pitch Pine).

Southern NJ is full of Pitch Pine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 11:22 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
This is the Heathrow biodiversity site, so gives a good picture of what the area would look like had London not been built. A mix of oak, ash, horse chestnuts and pines, along with smaller shrubs like hawthorn, bramble, gorse, and nettles, reseda, wild grasses and meadow flowers/herbs. Clay soil.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.46...7i13312!8i6656

This is what areas with sandy soil look like; dominated by pines, chestnut and birch, with gorse, ferns and rhododendron in the undergrowth. Open areas mostly gorse, broom and heather.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.34...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Chalky soil areas look like this. This is in the Surrey Hills, lots of meadow grasses and flowers, and trees such as beech, oak, sycamore, linden and box.
January
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.26...8i6656!6m1!1e1

September
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.26...7i13312!8i6656

Very common street trees in London include cherry, acacia and plane.

Last edited by B87; 03-11-2016 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-11-2016, 12:12 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Southern NJ is full of Pitch Pine.
Yeah the New Jersey Pine Barrens is more extensive than the Long Island Pine Barrens, which is now a fraction of its former self, but both are disjunct forests of the same ecoregion.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:49 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
As I said, the vegetation here is hemiboreal, in the Sarmatic biosphere, which in theory means the convergence zone between the subarctic taiga and the oceanic broadleaf forest. Due to global warm... I mean Climate change, the Sarmatic mixed forest has creeped northwards and in 2100 these locations in my pictures might be completely deciduous forests. Beech, one of the main botanic tresholds between a oceanic biome and a cool continental has been planted here in parks, though they previously couldn't take our cold winters. Now they thrive here.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:00 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Illinois prairie grass

Old 03-11-2016, 02:44 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,690,881 times
Along the Trondheimsfjord with the warmest climate are areas with boreo-nemoral vegetation (hemiboreal), the northernmost area in the world with this vegetation with "temperate" species like ash, maple, hazel etc - mixed with boreal species. Along the wetter outer seabord are areas with temperate rainforest.

But the most common vegetation is clearly boreal forest, which dominates almost completely away from the fjord/sea. This is boreal forest in the Namdalen valley (200 km N of Trondheim), inland Mid-Norway, ca 150 m asl. Spruce is dominant, other common trees are pine, birch, rowan, sallow, aspen etc. When I took this photo, temperature was 31.5°C.

The highest altitude vegetation close to the treeline is a special type of boreal forest almost unique to Scandinavia - the mountain birch. Common juniper is also common here. This is in Trollheimen mts, ca 800 m / 2,600 ft asl, in mid-September.

Alpine tundra at Dovre mts, 1,250 m / 4,100 ft asl, central Norway.

Last edited by Jakobsli; 03-11-2016 at 03:42 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 03:07 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,969,179 times
Southeastern mixed forest.
This is what it looks like in September.

This is what it looks like around the start of December.

This is what it looks like in early April.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:27 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
Southeastern mixed forest.
This is what it looks like in September.

This is what it looks like around the start of December.

This is what it looks like in early April.
Not the only and most dominate forest type though. We have stretches of nothing but pure loblolly pine stands , at least in my part of the county, you live close to the edge of the range of where loblolly pines dominate.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:40 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palider View Post
I live in a transitional zone between semi-arid desert (shrubland) and grassland with a few native bushes and trees here and there. There's a significant amount of introduced conifers, though, especially Ponderosa Pines and Douglas Firs.
Interesting. This is very similar to Denver. If you go up into the mountains, we have the same conifers. But the city itself is at the base and on semi-arid desert plains. I looked up the climate of Esquel and it's probably the closest to a "Denver climate" in the southern hemisphere. But we're just a little closer to the equator and higher in elevation so it gets hotter in summer and colder in winter here compared to Esquel.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:24 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Interesting. This is very similar to Denver. If you go up into the mountains, we have the same conifers. But the city itself is at the base and on semi-arid desert plains. I looked up the climate of Esquel and it's probably the closest to a "Denver climate" in the southern hemisphere. But we're just a little closer to the equator and higher in elevation so it gets hotter in summer and colder in winter here compared to Esquel.
Interesting. Denver is 3x higher than Esquel,but also Esquel is at higher latitude.

And the Mountains west of Esquel(around 1600m) is completely snow covered during winter and some will last through summer.

Instead the Mountains around Denver where pines dominates,the Mountains west of Esquel are covered almost totaly by Deciduous trees,with some evergreens at lower Altitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather