Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:03 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,972,549 times

Advertisements

mesquite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 01:42 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Wow,Looks very Tropical-ish for you localization at 41S.

I dont see other place in the world with that latitude looking tropical like your place do.

I dont know why,but even the Evergreen Forest at 41S for example around Puerto Montt looks more Temperate..

New Zealand is really impressive.
Yep, it is pretty cool.

Here are some photos of Beech forest in my area -mostly silver beech. Covers large areas of the region and is found in inland areas/mountains. A colder climate with even lower elevations seeing frequent snow, and average minimums below freezing for 3-4 months. Does get warmer temperatures during summer as well.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the vegetation of your city?-img_0406.jpg   What's the vegetation of your city?-img_0418.jpg   What's the vegetation of your city?-img_0423.jpg  

Old 03-12-2016, 02:04 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
The highest altitude vegetation close to the treeline is a special type of boreal forest almost unique to Scandinavia - the mountain birch. Common juniper is also common here. This is in Trollheimen mts, ca 800 m / 2,600 ft asl, in mid-September.
Skitprat. Sweden and Finland have plenty of similar areas in our Laplands.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:58 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
As I said, the vegetation here is hemiboreal, in the Sarmatic biosphere, which in theory means the convergence zone between the subarctic taiga and the oceanic broadleaf forest. Due to global warm... I mean Climate change, the Sarmatic mixed forest has creeped northwards and in 2100 these locations in my pictures might be completely deciduous forests. Beech, one of the main botanic tresholds between a oceanic biome and a cool continental has been planted here in parks, though they previously couldn't take our cold winters. Now they thrive here.
Looks a lot like parts of central and Eastern Europe, some of the photos reminded me of the vegetation in Romania.

From what I've seen of all the pictures so far, the vegetation here seems to change a lot depending on soil type, compared with other regions.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Looks a lot like parts of central and Eastern Europe, some of the photos reminded me of the vegetation in Romania.

From what I've seen of all the pictures so far, the vegetation here seems to change a lot depending on soil type, compared with other regions.
Most of the species are indeed the same, but the Balkans have much more diversity in species simply not surviving here, or getting sufficient warmth. In higher elevations in the Balkans it probably looks exactly like here, like in Canada. Acajack have commented on my pics that it looks here exactly like over there. Nevertheless, the Sarmatic biome spans from Southern Norway, Sweden and Finland down the Baltics, Belarus and Russia, stopping when reaching Poland and Ukraine.

Soil type have a huge effect here too. Some places are so soil-poor and dry that only pine and juniper survive. Here on the S and SW coasts the soil is nutrient-rich and only mildly acidic, and most continental European species do well here.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:35 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,691,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Skitprat. Sweden and Finland have plenty of similar areas in our Laplands.
Yes? Lapland is part of Scandinavia as I see it.

The other areas where the deciduos birch (Betula) forms the treeline is Iceland and the Kamtchatka peninsula.
On the tundra is a dwarf birch, Betula nana.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:44 AM

^ Ok, ok, got it!

Old 03-13-2016, 01:48 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Some photos showing the usual farmland/lightly vegetated areas around here -a mixture of mostly pines, firs and eucalyptus, willows, poplars,oaks plus orchard and vineyards
Attached Thumbnails
What's the vegetation of your city?-gedc2621.jpg   What's the vegetation of your city?-gedc2612.jpg   What's the vegetation of your city?-dscf1170.jpg   What's the vegetation of your city?-img_0437.jpg  

Old 03-13-2016, 09:22 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,729,462 times
Nice region is a mix of shrubland and evergreen deciduous & coniferous sclerophyllous forests. Near the coast, among the most commonly found plants are the aleppo pine, maritime pine, cork and holly oak, pistacia lentiscus, cistus, euphorbia; higher up you'll find sweet chestnuts, pubescent oaks, scots pines, gorse, thyme lavender... A lot of exotic species have take over native plants, like olive trees, agave, mimosa, eucalyptus, prickly pear and so on.

For Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur region as a whole, the following trees are the most common, in decending order:

Scots pine (hi Finland!)
Larch
Pubescent oak
Aleppo pine
Silver fir
Beech
Holm oak

Paris is within the temperature broadleaf & mixed forest biome. I'll just quote myslef:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yep, it is pretty cool.

Here are some photos of Beech forest in my area -mostly silver beech. Covers large areas of the region and is found in inland areas/mountains. A colder climate with even lower elevations seeing frequent snow, and average minimums below freezing for 3-4 months. Does get warmer temperatures during summer as well.
The first photo could be from here. Bummer, you sit on a plane for a whole 25 hours just to find out that the island you landed on looks just like home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Yes? Lapland is part of Scandinavia as I see it.

The other areas where the deciduos birch (Betula) forms the treeline is Iceland and the Kamtchatka peninsula.
On the tundra is a dwarf birch, Betula nana.
I've seen birch forests at the treeline in France. Betula nana grows in places like the Massif Central highlands as a relic of the last ice age.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:01 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times
Would you say that the Paris region looks similar to the street view links I posted (soil dependant)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather