Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 05:22 AM

215 posts, read 385,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
Anyone else having an odd winter season for your areas terms ?

Normally in upstate New York where I am we receive anywhere from 25-60+ inches of snow in a season freezing cold temps , below zero wind chills . To put it in perspective we have had 6 inches of snow in our entire winter season . We usually get that snow total in the first few hours of just one of our snow storms . Been pretty much 30s all winter which is above average for us .

It was 70 on Christmas Eve I was kayaking

And today first work of March ? Normally 30s Cold windy , nope today is 80 degrees

Not complaining I love all 4 seasons equally but I was cheated out of a winter
Same here in Buffalo/Western New York!!! I have mixed feelings on this. First of all, it has done a number on my allergies! Second of all, one of the things I like about winter is I feel you can slow down a little, it's okay to stay in and not be in a rush to be out and about doing things. Life usually slows down a little when it's Winter. Yesterday it was pushing 80 and sunny here as well and I felt like I should be outside enjoying it.

On the flip side, after two brutal winters before this year it is kind of nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 06:25 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Here december, january and february have all been above average, and not much sun was to be seen. December was fog fest and february was super grey and rainy.

The only time it snowed was last week, there was like one centimeter in the early morning before it melted.

Of course now we are below average and the next week should not be very warm.

I don't have particularly high expectations considering the average winter here, but still.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:49 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
If my memory serves me correct....weren't the last 2 winters up north like brutal? Tons of snow, polar vortexes, etc... Just enjoy the fact that this winter was relatively mild, because u know.... it's only a matter of time until another brutal winter comes along. You guys got off easy this year and deservedly so.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:16 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
The worst part for us was being cheated out of xmas eve and xmas day. Had air con on in the house dec 25th! But that big snowstorm in late January was cool. Winter was lame otherwise. Bad snow year in the mountains. Never got a snow hike in the Poconos in this year.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:37 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,456,795 times
Yup, complete ****hole of a winter for much of the Northeast and Midwest, par a couple of interesting isolated events.

Looks like I picked the correct year to be absent from there.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:52 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
The snow that dumped almost 40inches on us this year and now getting above 70 Degree F temps. Been quite the weather roller-coaster ride. Makes me wonder what is in store for us come July and August.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
We virtually got no snow in Chicago, and only had one cold week that was in February. December was very warm.

It's been in the 60's and 70's here lately, normal is in the 40's.

Do you remember that tease of a couple of inches of snow we had in November and the frigid temps that followed for a couple of days? You know if you blinked you missed winter.

We went to the Ironwood/Bessemer Michigan area last week and I sank up to my knees in snow out in a field. It snowed two or three days out of the five we were there. The skiing was amazing and so was the ice cave we visited.

I had to have my winter snow fix otherwise I'd be impossible to live with all summer. It's just sad we had to go so far north to get it. This was my first winter retired and I was hoping for one of those blizzards that keep us snowed in for two days. Nope they only happen when I was scheduled to work and stuck there for two days. Doh!

Old 03-10-2016, 10:03 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
After two historically brutal winters it's nice to finally get a mild one! A massive improvement here over the past two and even three years

Old 03-10-2016, 11:54 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Our December was like a typical Scottish one, we had one dusting of snow event during the whole month. January was brutally cold rarely seen, but February was just ---------------------------------, 35F at day, and 27F at night. Well, at least we had some decent snowfalls at some point. Our permanent snowpack started to form at 15 Feb or something.

And I'm in Finland, which is according to the stereotype a permanent icebox.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,404 times
I want everyone who experienced the mild winter to know that it's thanks to me and my husband. We invested in a whole-house generator a year ago, so of course we have had only one big storm and no power outages at all since then. (Used to be a regular occurrence.) You're welcome, you're welcome.

Seriously, I got a kick out of the title of this thread. "Worst winter" to me means lots of snow and cold. We had one storm with about 18 inches of snow, and a few snowfalls under 4 inches. Just one prolonged period that stayed under freezing. That, to me, is a WONDERFUL winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather