Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick your poison
Eureka, Nunavut 8 13.56%
Wyndham, Western Australia 51 86.44%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:17 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,565,882 times

Advertisements

Azizia data from that period is not accepted. I don't believe is 56.0C reading any more than the discreted world "record".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 09:42 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,650,980 times
I didn't choose Eureka for cold weather, and simply because their summers are more comfortable than Wyndham's "winter".

I don't like -40 °C temperatures, but I don't think it's an impediment to civilization.

Yakutsk, Ulan Bator, Novosibirsk, Harbin, Winnipeg... they're all extremely cold cities in the winter. If extreme cold was that deadly, the population of those cities would have decreased from, say, 1,000,000 in 1900 to 100,000 in 2000 due to deaths by hypothermia. That's not happened. The infrastructure of those cities is perfectly normal.

You're right, though, that many people strongly dislike cold summers, more than cold winters.

The only cities above 100,000 with summer average highs below 15 °C are Reykjavik and Punta Arenas.

I'm that kind of person who likes cold summers and above freezing winters (cfc climates).

I didn't choose Wyndham simply because there's no relief from the heat, whereas in Eureka you have 3 months of above freezing summers, and that's a big relief from winter's -40 °C. I don't care about the barren landscape. If you read my (obviously fake) "location", you'd know I like planets other than Earth, particularly Mars and Titan (which is not a planet, and a satellite of Saturn), and I like discovering many interesting exoplanets. Barren landscapes don't bother me at all, quite the opposite, I find them extremely interesting. Plants and trees are almost everywhere in the world, so what, if you see them? Barren landscapes are more rare, so it would be a more interesting feeling.

If you do Marble Bar vs Macquarie Island, I'd very gladly choose Macquarie Island, even though most other people would probably choose Marble Bar.

Macquarie Island would be heaven for me: no average highs above 10 °C, no average lows below 0 °C, 315 rainy days a year and 861 annual hours of sunshine ��❤️❤️❤️

Old 07-14-2016, 01:22 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,852,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I didn't choose Eureka for cold weather, and simply because their summers are more comfortable than Wyndham's "winter".

I don't like -40 °C temperatures, but I don't think it's an impediment to civilization.

Yakutsk, Ulan Bator, Novosibirsk, Harbin, Winnipeg... they're all extremely cold cities in the winter. If extreme cold was that deadly, the population of those cities would have decreased from, say, 1,000,000 in 1900 to 100,000 in 2000 due to deaths by hypothermia. That's not happened. The infrastructure of those cities is perfectly normal.

You're right, though, that many people strongly dislike cold summers, more than cold winters.

The only cities above 100,000 with summer average highs below 15 °C are Reykjavik and Punta Arenas.

I'm that kind of person who likes cold summers and above freezing winters (cfc climates).

I didn't choose Wyndham simply because there's no relief from the heat, whereas in Eureka you have 3 months of above freezing summers, and that's a big relief from winter's -40 °C. I don't care about the barren landscape. If you read my (obviously fake) "location", you'd know I like planets other than Earth, particularly Mars and Titan (which is not a planet, and a satellite of Saturn), and I like discovering many interesting exoplanets. Barren landscapes don't bother me at all, quite the opposite, I find them extremely interesting. Plants and trees are almost everywhere in the world, so what, if you see them? Barren landscapes are more rare, so it would be a more interesting feeling.

If you do Marble Bar vs Macquarie Island, I'd very gladly choose Macquarie Island, even though most other people would probably choose Marble Bar.

Macquarie Island would be heaven for me: no average highs above 10 °C, no average lows below 0 °C, 315 rainy days a year and 861 annual hours of sunshine ��❤️❤️❤️
Nicely said.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,467,378 times
Wyndham, I love tropical deserts

Old 07-14-2016, 04:58 AM

808 posts, read 703,442 times
Default Wyndham

I actually like Wyndham, so it's my obvious choice. It's a B or C climate pitted against a big fat fail.

Eureka looks unlivable for me. It's never seen room temperature or warmer, even in the summer, and I do NOT want to suffer through -40 (F=C) or colder lows in the winter.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:32 AM

135 posts, read 90,059 times
Eureka. I can go a very long time without human interaction, there wouldn't be as many people.... it would be very cold and deathly and nice.

Nice try but I am a true pure cold lover- you can't trick me! Hell, send me off to Vostok station for a few years. And then all the cold planets in the solar system with no space suit. I can handle it. I absorb Ice, and I'm healed by it.

I feel strong when I feel weak. I like to be losing, to be dying. It isn't so bad... I am really masochistic though. =D

Old 01-28-2018, 05:58 PM

11,645 posts, read 12,852,111 times
Anymore Eureka fans?

Old 01-28-2018, 07:01 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,427,530 times
As much as I would detest both climates, I hate the heat more than I hate the cold so Eureka edges it out but just barely.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:12 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,866,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Anymore Eureka fans?
I wouldn't say a "fan" of it but if I have to choose between hot Wyndham and cold Eureka...it's cold Eureka.

Otherwise it's not so great. It's a friggin' desert. The good thing about it is very little sunlight and it's not hot

But yeah, just give me a good Dfb or Dfc any day over something like this.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:36 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,808,901 times
Wyndham looks like an amazing climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather