Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 04:45 PM

198 posts, read 189,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It's just most of the US and Canada and Mexico is very flat and boring. You look at any part of Northern Mexico and its all just rundown towns and sand everywhere.
While I agree that mountain/topographic distribution in North America can be better (more for areas east of the Rockies), it isn't the worst; Australia is a much flatter continent.

Northern Mexico is in desert, of course there will be sand everywhere. Furthermore, not all of northern Mexico is desert; you have Tijuana, on the Pacific, which links with San Diego, as well as Matamoros on the Gulf of Mexico, which links with Brownsville. Northern Mexico includes destinations like Monterrey.

Quote:
Same with any part of the US that's not on the coast, just replace the sand with corn. I have no idea why people live in places like Sonora or Iowa or Durango or Idaho
You are generalizing quite a bit; much of the inland SE US, for instance, does not look like either of the scenarios you describe.

nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I thought every apartment in New York was infested with cockroaches?
Yea, but the locals still get a squeamish when they see one.

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
non sequitur

There are country people from South Jersey. to say otherwise tells me that someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

Nevertheless, I don't believe I called myself a "country" boy, so idk where you got that from. I am not really a city person though. There is a big middle ground.
What? Jersey is hardly country. It's nowhere near country like PA is; Warren County is as close to real rural as you can get in NJ

3,314 posts, read 2,214,542 times
Quote:
It's just most of the US and Canada and Mexico is very flat and boring. You look at any part of Northern Mexico and its all just rundown towns and sand everywhere. Same with any part of the US that's not on the coast, just replace the sand with corn. I have no idea why people live in places like Sonora or Iowa or Durango or Idaho
Idaho is not flat

http://www.idaho-map.org/detailed-map.htm

Old 06-17-2016, 04:49 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake&Bake View Post
While I agree that mountain/topographic distribution in North America can be better (more for areas east of the Rockies), it isn't the worst; Australia is a much flatter continent.

Northern Mexico is in desert, of course there will be sand everywhere. Furthermore, not all of northern Mexico is desert; you have Tijuana, on the Pacific, which links with San Diego, as well as Matamoros on the Gulf of Mexico, which links with Brownsville. Northern Mexico includes destinations like Monterrey.

You are generalizing quite a bit; much of the inland SE US, for instance, does not look like either of the scenarios you describe.
Maybe, but for me nothing will match the sort of excitement you can find in the Caribbean or South America

Old 06-17-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but for me nothing will match the sort of excitement you can find in the Caribbean or South America
Perhaps the Carribbean and South America appear more exciting because those places just are more exotic to you, since you aren't constantly experiencing them. You are used to being in North America, and absorbing much of the culture, so it won't appear exotic.

To South Americans and Carribeans, perhaps North America can appear exotic.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake&Bake View Post
Perhaps the Carribbean and South America appear more exciting because those places just are more exotic to you, since you aren't constantly experiencing them. You are used to being in North America, and absorbing much of the culture, so it won't appear exotic.

To South Americans and Carribeans, perhaps North America can appear exotic.
I guess, well I fell in love with Perú, because it seems like people there are much warmer and say things like "Buenos Dias" to everyone, and bars are much more exciting and you could walk anywhere you want. I also loved how fresh everything was, mangos tasted like crême brulee there! Lol

Old 06-17-2016, 04:56 PM

But, I do think the lack of cultural diversity perceived in North America can just be a function of how large the political boundaries of the continent territories are; just look at how large the US and Canada are compared to the rest of the continent from Mexico and southwards.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:03 PM

It could be, also the lack of lingual diversity. In south America you have Spanish, Portuguese, Quechua, Guaranì, Aymara, and even Japannese (Brazil and Peru have the biggest Japanese enclaves outside actual Japan)

Old 06-17-2016, 05:09 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Wife = 100 troll points.

"This guy has been trolled by his partner/wife while he was watching Croatia vs Turkey Euro 2016 football match which was played on 12 June 2016. Woman placed a hidden camera and used her mobile phone application to turn off the Smart TV at the most exciting moments of the match."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INabYS0pfDE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather