Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 05:12 PM

198 posts, read 189,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It could be, also the lack of lingual diversity. In south America you have Spanish, Portuguese, Quechua, Guaranì, Aymara, and even Japannese (Brazil and Peru have the biggest Japanese enclaves outside actual Japan)
A large part of South American's linguistic diversity would probably come from the fact that the indigenous peoples of that continent were more established, with their populations not being as cut down as those in North America were. Indigenous influence continues to perpetuate many parts of Central/South America today, whereas in North America, the indigenous people are all stuffed into reservations.

Living in the Southern US (first Charleston, then Houston), I will say that a lot of the most interesting aspects of the culture come from the non-whites. The most interesting culture comes from the Africans/African-Americans, and Hispanics that live there (and also Asians); southern US whites, for the most part, are some of the most conservative, boring people.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:17 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not rural like where I lived for many years. Where I lived was flannel shirt and boomstick rural where people go by Billy Bob and Betty Jo and drive a rusted 30 year old Ford pickup
There are areas of S. Jersey that are just about as rural as you can get (except for the fact that it's in NJ so you can drive a little bit for a total change in scenery.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What? Jersey is hardly country. It's nowhere near country like PA is; Warren County is as close to real rural as you can get in NJ
There is plenty of agriculture in South Jersey. Plus, the NJ Pines Barrens include over 1 million acres.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:33 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake&Bake View Post
A large part of South American's linguistic diversity would probably come from the fact that the indigenous peoples of that continent were more established, with their populations not being as cut down as those in North America were. Indigenous influence continues to perpetuate many parts of Central/South America today, whereas in North America, the indigenous people are all stuffed into reservations.

Living in the Southern US (first Charleston, then Houston), I will say that a lot of the most interesting aspects of the culture come from the non-whites. The most interesting culture comes from the Africans/African-Americans, and Hispanics that live there (and also Asians); southern US whites, for the most part, are some of the most conservative, boring people.
It's true, there is a lot more indigenous influence in South America. A lot of dances, slang, cuisine, and music derives from indigenous culture. It's true, white people in the US are pretty lame, at least the ones who have been here for generations. Obviously Italian Americans, Polish Americans, etc have developed their own cultures so they're not boring. African Americans I think contributed so much to the American culture

Old 06-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
It's true, there is a lot more indigenous influence in South America. A lot of dances, slang, cuisine, and music derives from indigenous culture.
Meanwhile, in North America, the influence of the indigenous peoples on the ever-lasting culture is seen only through the names of certain regions/cities.

Quote:
It's true, white people in the US are pretty lame, at least the ones who have been here for generations. Obviously Italian Americans, Polish Americans, etc have developed their own cultures so they're not boring. African Americans I think contributed so much to the American culture
It is mainly the WASP types that I refer to when I say US Whites are boring; the Italians, Greeks, Polish, Germans, etc are excluded. I really hate to make these generalizations, but I find WASPs, particularly those in the South, just way too conservative and practical; they seem to think only "in the moment," and not about how future generations will see them, their locales, and their influence.

Whenever you see how sprawl-filled cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, etc are, that is a clear example of practical, Southern-WASP mentality at work. Luckily, these cities have been working hard to recapture their urban cores, aided in large part by the younger generations, who tend to be more forward looking (yes, including younger WASPs).

I just think it is scary to be in a country where a person like Donald Trump is a legitimate candidate for presidency.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:02 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
It's just most of the US and Canada and Mexico is very flat and boring. You look at any part of Northern Mexico and its all just rundown towns and sand everywhere. Same with any part of the US that's not on the coast, just replace the sand with corn. I have no idea why people live in places like Sonora or Iowa or Durango or Idaho
Do you realize how much of a snob you sound saying this? Jesus Christ man.....sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Do you realize how much of a snob you sound saying this? Jesus Christ man.....sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut.
To be fair, he/she does slightly have a point with that post.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:07 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
To be fair, he/she does slightly have a point with that post.
To say you don't get the "point" of someone living somewhere sounds like have your nose stuck up at that place.....just because doesn't a city of 500 million people doesn't make it a bad place to live.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:09 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,953,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder98 View Post
What is the city in the third picture?

Old 06-17-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, in North America, the influence of the indigenous peoples on the ever-lasting culture is seen only through the names of certain regions/cities.

It is mainly the WASP types that I refer to when I say US Whites are boring; the Italians, Greeks, Polish, Germans, etc are excluded. I really hate to make these generalizations, but I find WASPs, particularly those in the South, just way too conservative and practical; they seem to think only "in the moment," and not about how future generations will see them, their locales, and their influence.

Whenever you see how sprawl-filled cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, etc are, that is a clear example of practical, Southern-WASP mentality at work. Luckily, these cities have been working hard to recapture their urban cores, aided in large part by the younger generations, who tend to be more forward looking (yes, including younger WASPs).

I just think it is scary to be in a country where a person like Donald Trump is a legitimate candidate for presidency.
I also find general Anglo culture rather bland (and way too globally influential), but I like Southern (traditionally & characteristically Anglo-Saxon) culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather