Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 01:14 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times

Advertisements

I agree London's stereotypes are ridiculous, but I've noticed when forecasts are 1-2 C below average you call it "much below normal" while the opposite anomaly you'll consider it "average".

Also, I noticed that when P London posted here and ben86 lived in London, their observation were a lot different from yours too. They would also call you out on your bias too, I'm not the only one who has noticed it.

Also, I'm not saying you're making up London's averages. The fact that you call places only a few degrees colder than London as if it were inhospitable or something, comes across as you trying to prove how mild London is.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
It's more like 47-48f and mostly cloudy, but yeah. 40f is noticeably colder than a typical winter day here. Maybe I just notice smaller temperature changes more as I live in an oceanic climate? London has many winter days where the low is warmer than NYcs high.

In Decwmber NYC might feel like a winter day in London.

Ask Nei or Tom, I'm sure they have been in Boston/NYC/DC/PHL/London in winter.
London felt noticeably warmer than New York City in the winter than London, though with the high variability it's hard to compare. The difference isn't enormous, if you find New York City too cold, it's unlikely you'd be happy with London winters. Higher cloudiness and low sun angle makes colder London days feel colder than similar days in New York City.

Quote:
I've noticed recently how other people try to bring London into a discussion, and then attack/try to rubbish me whenever I say anything about it.
You focus on what are to me very small temperature changes, so it seems like you're trying too hard to find a way to put a positive light on London. And a lot of the criticism towards London is from those who dislike the low sunshine more than the moderate temperatures. Or even like more extreme temperatures. So your defense of London falls flat because what's a good climate to them is totally different from yours.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Since you asked

Quote:
It's more like 47-48f and mostly cloudy, but yeah.
This correction comes across as nitpicking for a bias:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
38-40 F and sunny is "far colder" than 45 F and overcast?
A couple degrees is within the variation of stations and within season weather; I would never correct if someone described my climate off by a few degrees unless exact comparisons were the point of the conversation. People round.

As an aside, the daytime high doesn't mean the whole day is that temperature, typically it's at temperature for a few hours.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:25 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I agree London's stereotypes are ridiculous, but I've noticed when forecasts are 1-2 C below average you call it "much below normal" while the opposite anomaly you'll consider it "average".

Also, I noticed that when P London posted here and ben86 lived in London, their observation were a lot different from yours too. They would also call you out on your bias too, I'm not the only one who has noticed it.

Also, I'm not saying you're making up London's averages. The fact that you call places only a few degrees colder than London as if it were inhospitable or something, comes across as you trying to prove how mild London is.
Ben86 lived in Hampstead, which is the coolest and wettest part of the entire city due to its elevation. That's why his obs were different to mine. I live in Hounslow, which is flat and low elevation, and my closest weather stations are Heathrow and Kew Gardens.

Where have I called temps 2c above average, 'average'? Maybe I called a forecast average because the whole 8-14 day period worked out to average, even though it had a mix of warm and cool days.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Since you asked

This correction comes across as nitpicking for a bias:

A couple degrees is within the variation of stations and within season weather; I would never correct if someone described my climate off by a few degrees unless exact comparisons were the point of the conversation. People round.

As an aside, the daytime high doesn't mean the whole day is that temperature, typically it's at temperature for a few hours.
Especially during winter, where the daytime high lasts maybe a couple of hours and most of the day is much colder.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Ben86 lived in Hampstead, which is the coolest and wettest part of the entire city due to its elevation. That's why his obs were different to mine. I live in Hounslow, which is flat and low elevation, and my closest weather stations are Heathrow and Kew Gardens.

Where have I called temps 2c above average, 'average'? Maybe I called a forecast average because the whole 8-14 day period worked out to average, even though it had a mix of warm and cool days.
I've seen you call consistent 10-11 C days in January as average or at the best "slightly above average" while a forecast with 7-8 C warrants a "much colder than average" designation from you.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:35 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Why don't we just ignore the bot when he does his "London=Seville" thing instead of getting bogged down in really pedantic arguments that only he enjoys?

And if that doesn't shut him up, permanent exile to Bingley

Old 04-06-2016, 01:47 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
I've never actually been to Bingley, even though it's just down't road. Missing owt'?

Ordered a new bike today too. I'm not unhappy about it though, it's just that I can't be bothered to post in the happy thread.
Maybe I'll cycle to Bingley and report how cold and inhospitable it is.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:05 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I've never actually been to Bingley, even though it's just down't road. Missing owt'?

Ordered a new bike today too. I'm not unhappy about it though, it's just that I can't be bothered to post in the happy thread.
Maybe I'll cycle to Bingley and report how cold and inhospitable it is.
You're not missing much to be fair, apart from Five Rise Locks it's pretty uninteresting as well as generally being a bleak subarctic hell lol

Bingley five-rise locks - Leeds and Liverpool Canal, 5-rise lock staircase

Old 04-06-2016, 02:12 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
You're not missing much to be fair, apart from Five Rise Locks it's pretty uninteresting as well as generally being a bleak subarctic hell lol

Bingley five-rise locks - Leeds and Liverpool Canal, 5-rise lock staircase
That Lock looks pretty cool tbf.

I didn't realise how chilly Bingley is. Looks like it's similar to Buxton too. Spring takes forever to get going there! It's quite a lot cooler than York and Leeds. More than I realised.

Are you at the same/similar elevation as the weather station?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather