Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 01:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
^^

Wow, that has to be one of the dumbest ****ing comparisons I've ever heard...
How so? I've swimmed in 80F, 70F, 60F, 50F and 40F waters, and I survived. Just because some ignorant 400 pound fatso might die firing his AR-15 underwater doesn't mean that it's automatically dangerous though that Republican became a corpse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 01:08 PM

29,506 posts, read 19,606,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
How so? I've swimmed in 80F, 70F, 60F, 50F and 40F waters, and I survived. Just because some ignorant 400 pound fatso might die firing his AR-15 underwater doesn't mean that it's automatically dangerous though that Republican became a corpse.
That's right I forgot. You Finnish and have ice in your veins...

I said PROLONGED EXPOSURE

Old 03-31-2016, 01:17 PM

892 posts, read 859,161 times
Quote:
You can go outside in -20F/-30C and survive too. Doesn't mean it's not dangerous. You just said you were in 40F for a couple of minutes and lost control of your limbs, later got pneumonia. Now just realize what would happen to you if you were in that temperature water by yourself instead of a controlled military training environment.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:18 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
That's right I forgot. You Finnish and have ice in your veins...

I said PROLONGED EXPOSURE
And I said prolonged exposure in 68F water swimming feels like room temperature and you can go on indefinitely. It's when you're fatigued and stop swimming when you might be in trouble. Still, it takes up to 40 hours to kill you in those waters, though you might lose consciousness after 6 hours.

I don't consider myself very cold-hardy (on a Chicago scale, not San Diego), but I've experienced some very extreme temperature swings. But thank you, I'll rather take 35C over -25C.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
And I said prolonged exposure in 68F water swimming feels like room temperature and you can go on indefinitely.
No you cannot, this is false and is dangerous advice. You will quickly become hypothermic in 68F/20C water. Water is not like air, saying it's room temperature is a "rookie mistake." You lose heat faster in water than in air.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:26 PM

Remember this:

Quote:
Cold water robs the body's heat 32 times faster than cold air. If you should fall into the water, all efforts should be given to getting out of the water by the fastest means possible.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:31 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,865 times
I'm assuming the guidelines are for staying still in water, because it certainly is not dangerous to swim in 20C sea water. If that was the case, people would die all the time from lake swims and the like that take place quite a lot here in summer

Old 03-31-2016, 01:34 PM

55 posts, read 40,068 times
those guidelines are very much on the safe side. from them, you get the impression that taking a 30 min swim in 21C water would be dangerous, which is ludicrous. ofc you eventually will get hypothermia from staying too long in 21C water - that's common sense that even a toddler understands (why even bother with a guideline?) - but for enjoying an hours swim around a lake it's absolutely fine.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I'm assuming the guidelines are for staying still in water, because it certainly is not dangerous to swim in 20C sea water. If that was the case, people would die all the time from lake swims and the like that take place quite a lot here in summer
People don't die because they are not in the water long enough. Most people will swim for about 10-20 minutes and it will become too cold for them and they will leave. Also lakes in the summer tend to warm quite a bit because they are shallow.

It's dangerous because the speed in which you get hypothermia, within 1-2 hours you will begin to have the onsets of hypothermia. Note the beginnings of hypothermia is not fatal, but from here you will be sluggish, you won't be thinking rationally, you will start to lose control over your limbs as your body channels blood away from the limbs and to the core.

But a 10-20 minute swim? While brisk and for some people invigorating, won't kill them. Just like -20F won't kill you in 10 minutes even if you step outside naked.

I sometimes question the logic used on this forum.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:36 PM

29,506 posts, read 19,606,320 times
Quote:
And I said prolonged exposure in 68F water swimming feels like room temperature and you can go on indefinitely. It's when you're fatigued and stop swimming when you might be in trouble. Still, it takes up to 40 hours to kill you in those waters, though you might lose consciousness after 6 hours.
Cite me a source that claims you can swim in 20C water indefinitely

And btw, that 400 pound AR15 toting Republican might be able to survive in cold water longer than your skinny Finnish ass...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather