Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
20 C is considered 'dangerous', and sometimes divers will wear a dry suit for those temperatures. I doubt you are in the water for 2-3 hours. You're either superman, don't know the actual water temperature (very common) or just standing in water, or lose track of time. But whatever
I think you're are relying too much on your experience in your climate.

I swim in rivers/sea nearly every day for about 4 months of the year. Temperatures can range from about 18C to around 25C. Duration would be 30 minutes minimum and 2-3hours at other times.

My children spend more time swimming than I do, with entire days spent at the river with friends, and they certainly aren't superman.

I'm also a real enthusiast when it comes measuring water temperatures, so those temperatures are accurate. Air temperature averages only reaches 17.4C here in summer, so you can be certain there aren't any underestimates of water temperature.

I undersand your point that water temperatures will eventually be fatal, but I don't think your experience enables you to comment on all situations regarding water temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 PM

892 posts, read 859,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
At 20 °C water (in the shower) I feel cold, but I don't think that's "dangerous" to take a shower with that temperature. I've already done it and I'm still alive. Though only for 20 minutes, maybe it's true that if you stay 5 hours you may get a bit too cold.

Anyway, we are off-topic. If you want to keep discussing about this, maybe a thread to keep discussing about this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ably-swim.html
Taking a shower is not dangerous, swimming is. You will be hypothermic in around 1 hour at those temperatures. Upon jumping into an ocean at those temperatures, you will find yourself short for breath. They train US Navy Seals during "Hell Week" to withstand cold water by having them swim in water temperatures in the 60s F, which is somewhere above 16 C and below 20C. I forgot the duration, but I think it's 30-40 minutes. Keep in mind this is a training program intended to push highly physically fit individuals to their limit.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:16 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,681,355 times
16 °C water is very cold. I can't begin a shower with that initial temperature. It's true, 16 °C water is very cold.
25 °C water is not cold at all, though. It's just "cool"/"lukewarm". I don't think a wetsuit is required. But maybe the ocean feels colder, I don't know.

But earlier you said that 20 °C air temperature is too cold to sit outside in a restaurant. I've asked you what do you think about a 23 °C air temperature for sitting outside in a restaurant

Old 03-30-2016, 12:18 PM

892 posts, read 859,928 times
Quote:
But earlier you said that 20 °C air temperature is too cold to sit outside in a restaurant. I've asked you what do you think about a 23 °C air temperature for sitting outside in a restaurant
If there is sun, light breeze, it can be pleasant enough at 23 C.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
20 C is considered 'dangerous', and sometimes divers will wear a dry suit for those temperatures. I doubt you are in the water for 2-3 hours. You're either superman, don't know the actual water temperature (very common) or just standing in water, or lose track of time. But whatever

I wouldn't consider it "dangerous". 20C is cold, but you can get used to it for short periods if the air temp is warm/hot and sun is strong. I will agree that 2 to 3 hours fully submerged in 20C water sounds a bit much for me. Standing in 20C water is totally different, but having your whole body in 20C water for 2 to 3 hours, no thanks. I would be shaking and have blue lips coming out of water that cold after two or three hours.

When the ocean beach temps in early summer here are 20C not many go in the water, and when they do it is not for hours. When you come out you are pretty darn cold.

Hypothermia: How long can someone survive in frigid water? - Scientific American

How cold does the water have to be to put a person at risk for hypothermia?
Even water temperatures as high as 75 and 80 degrees F (24 and 27 degrees C) can be dangerous, but it would most likely take much longer than 15 minutes to become debilitated. There is no set time for when hypothermia will set in, but generally the colder the water, the faster it happens.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 PM

Then I think that's the ideal temperature of outdoor seating restaurant, considering the other replies as well.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:24 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
What is your temperature range for outdoor seating in restaurants?

68-85F is perfect for outdoor seating and eating but will also go with up to mid 90s with low humidity if in the full shade and as low as low 60s if under the direct full sunshine and no wind.
I second your temperature ranges. A little mild heat is fine because you can get ice water.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:37 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,657,285 times
Quote:
I have dinner at 7:30 P.M.

25-27 °C is on the upper edge of "warm-hot", I usually tend to stay inside where it's cooler. I can't stay for more than two hours outside at 27 °C.

In my bedroom the temperature doesn't go above 23 °C, so it's my "haven".

I don't eat ice cream at 27 °C, it will melt too fast, without being able to eat it.
Usually, the upper limit for eating ice cream is 20 °C, anything higher and it will melt too quickly.
I usually eat warm soups when it's hot.

1500 meters is a good altitude, a place with 30 °C as an average high at sea level will usually have 20 °C as an average high at 1500 meters. The problem is finding a city above 10,000 inhabitants at 1500 meters.

Isn't 28 °C in a bedroom unhealthy? I think you can get ill with those temperatures in the long run.
Don't you have A/C?
Japan campaign started in 2005 "cool biz" for "save energy" is 28C/82F thermostat/AC for summer! Would rather open the windows with screen added to prevent mozzies. Or just a fan.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Biz_campaign
28 is just too warm/hot inside with minimal/no breeze even for me (a tropical man!). Its even warmer than our annual daily avg (sea level equatorial!)
For winter its 20C/68F IIRC.

Last edited by divisionbyzero0; 03-30-2016 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-30-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naif12 View Post
Japan policy for "save energy" is 28C/82F thermostat/AC for summer! Would rather open the windows with screen added to prevent mozzies.
That's like saying, "let's save food", and you can eat a maximum of 1400 kcal instead of the 2000. It's plainly stupid.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:47 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,307 times
Quote:
I have dinner at 7:30 P.M.

25-27 °C is on the upper edge of "warm-hot", I usually tend to stay inside where it's cooler. I can't stay for more than two hours outside at 27 °C.

In my bedroom the temperature doesn't go above 23 °C, so it's my "haven".

I don't eat ice cream at 27 °C, it will melt too fast, without being able to eat it.
Usually, the upper limit for eating ice cream is 20 °C, anything higher and it will melt too quickly.
I usually eat warm soups when it's hot.

1500 meters is a good altitude, a place with 30 °C as an average high at sea level will usually have 20 °C as an average high at 1500 meters. The problem is finding a city above 10,000 inhabitants at 1500 meters.

Isn't 28 °C in a bedroom unhealthy? I think you can get ill with those temperatures in the long run.
Don't you have A/C?
Italians seems to dislike A/C, in particular here next to the Alps. Anyway 28°C is the highest temp we had indoor (even last year when we had an heat wave that lasted all over July). Anyway even in those cases our lows are of nearly 20°C (thanks mountains!) and so at least at night we manage to cool down a little to sleep decently.

I would had that temperature perception (for me) changes a lot during the year. In January I'm used to a quite cold weather and I wouldn't stand 28°C neither outdoor, while in July I would not stand to wake un with below freezing temps.

About the ice cream, when it is hot I eat it do quickly that it never melt (I've never had problems with ice creams).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather