Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please choose your favorite subtropical climate from the following menu
Tampa, Florida 11 12.50%
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 4 4.55%
Charleston, South Carolina 15 17.05%
Florence, Italy 10 11.36%
Tokyo, Japan 5 5.68%
Hong Kong 2 2.27%
Buenos Aires, Argentina 3 3.41%
Sydney, Australia 11 12.50%
Brisbane, Australia 18 20.45%
Johannesburg, South Africa 9 10.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:41 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
2008 way way too old of posts. They lost lots of palms after 2014 and 2015 which were the coldest in years there. You really can only look at palms post 2015 to get a sense of what can grow there and what is still there.

The 1980's did the same to the whole South. New Orleans lost tons of trees even. Orlando lost trees lol. Pensacola FL had towering CIDP's before the 80's and almost entirely they were wiped out.

Fear the 80's I'm telling you. There are horror stories from that period. The cold AMO is coming back. The only hope we have is that the PDO goes cold, but looks like it may have already began its 20-30 year run again as positive. I don't have much hope for milder winters down the road for the eastern US. I think it is going to get very bad again.

I know EXACTLY where pretty much every single one of those palmettos, pindos windmills and even the Robustas that Waccamatt posted are in Columbia and they're still there. I LIVE here Lol How do you know they've been wiped out? If the robustas are still alive and well, what makes you think the palmettos croaked?

Quote:
Why are you handicapped at posting pics? It is really easy if you use photobucket or image shack? I can send you directions in private message if you want.
I just don't know how to post them large like Guajara has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something there is no robusta shown there. All I see are palmettos in the first location bolded above.
Check post #114. The second photo attached is the pair of Robusta's according to those coordinates.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:48 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyundrs44 View Post
Those are good shots of palms!

Although the USA has vast areas that are great palm-growing climates, I do think there is something to be said for what looks good and what looks out of place. Many of our native palms in the USA look good in the climates and environments that they are endemic to:

I think the towering CA fan palms look perfect in the Mediterranean climate of southern California…

And the Cuban and Florida Royal Palms look great in the subtropical climate Florida…

The coconut palms seem to go with the tropical vibe in deep southern Florida:

I also think CIDP really only look like they belong in older regions (like the Mediterranean).In the USA, I think CIDP only look good in the old quarters of the port cities like New Orleans and Galveston:

Either way, I love palms too and we have many great climates to grow them in the USA!

Your pics and posts remind me of someone on this forum from a while back that I understand was banned. I think you said at one point you were an immigrant to the US from England. Why do you keep changing user names?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyundrs44 View Post
Some more USA palm shots...

Palm Beach, Florida...

Coconut Palms...Ft. Lauderdale, FL;

Now I def remember these posts. Why did you change your name from Wavehunter?

Try not to get banned this time, cause your posts at least make the board more interesting!

Last edited by tom77falcons; 04-22-2016 at 08:58 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I know EXACTLY where pretty much every single one of those palmettos, pindos windmills and even the Robustas that Waccamatt posted are in Columbia and they're still there. I LIVE here Lol How do you know they've been wiped out? If the robustas are still alive and well, what makes you think the palmettos croaked?

I just don't know how to post them large like Guajara has.

You use photobucket. Go to the website photobucket. Create an account. It is free and easy. Then upload the pics from your computer into your account on photobucket. After the photo is uploaded to photobucket, you put your cursor over the photo and it gives you options. You want the option that says "direct". "direct" lists an http link that you copy. You then come into city data and at the top of your posting window you click the yellow icon "insert image". A window pops up and you paste the http link from photobucket into that window. Click okay and the photo shows up full scale in your post.

If you have a smartphone there is a very easy to use photobucket app that is free and works very easily on your phone. You can be on city data on your smart phone and use photobucket to post pics on your phone. Don't even need a computer.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:58 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Your pics and posts remind me of someone on this forum from a while back that I understand was banned. I think you said at one point you were an immigrant to the US from England. Why do you keep changing user names?
So he can keep "owning" you about the cold epoch.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
You use photobucket. Go to the website photobucket. Create an account. It is free and easy. Then upload the pics from your computer into your account on photobucket. After the photo is uploaded to photobucket, you put your cursor over the photo and it gives you options. You want the option that says "direct". "direct" lists an http link that you copy. You then come into city data and at the top of your posting window you click the yellow icon "insert image". A window pops up and you paste the http link from photobucket into that window. Click okay and the photo shows up full scale in your post.

If you have a smartphone there is a very easy to use photobucket app that is free and works very easily on your phone. You can be on city data on your smart phone and use photobucket to post pics on your phone. Don't even need a computer.
Thanks. I will try this next time.

And when you say, "they lost a lot of palms after 2014 and 2015", where are you referring to? I jumped on you a bit, but I just want to clarify that those palms pictured in the link that floridanative posted are all alive, even the robustas. I actually have updated pictures of waccamatts palms since then, since I inquired to him about their well-being and of course... wait for it... they're alive as well lol

Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Thanks. I will try this next time.

And when you say, "they lost a lot of palms after 2014 and 2015", where are you referring to? I jumped on you a bit, but I just want to clarify that those palms pictured in the link that floridanative posted are all alive, even the robustas. I actually have updated pictures of waccamatts palms since then, since I inquired to him about their well-being and of course... wait for it... they're alive as well lol

It was on the garden forum people claiming that they highly doubted robusta and livistona survived 2014 and 2015. I know for a fact Joe lost a phoenix palm in Augusta, but his Robusta survived. I assume Augusta is warmer than Columbia.

I'm glad to see that Robusta survived 2014 and 2015, apparently livistona (a favorite of mine) did not survive. However, none of these palms except palmetto would survive the temps of the 1980's. And as far as Phoenix palms they don't seem to have any around Columbia. So right there I think that proves robusta is hardier than phoenix palms. The hardy cretan date doesn't even seem to be planted in Columbia. The few things I've read claim that no phoenix would survive in Columbia or you would seem them already. They are readily sold at stores there according to one post I saw.

I don't know why people think that 1980's temps won't ever happen again. It was nothing mysterious, just a combination of cold AMO and warm PDO and the polar vortex went down to Montreal. It will happen again. It happened in 1963, and in decades before that. So while it is nice to see palms return after the 80's, they just will never last as long as in other parts of the world that have never ever got as cold as we did in the 80's.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:24 PM

633 posts, read 661,795 times
won't find washingtonia this tall and majestic in SC

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9697...7i13312!8i6656

lots here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0239...7i13312!8i6656

Old 04-22-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
It was on the garden forum people claiming that they highly doubted robusta and livistona survived 2014 and 2015. I know for a fact Joe lost a phoenix palm in Augusta, but his Robusta survived. I assume Augusta is warmer than Columbia.

I'm glad to see that Robusta survived 2014 and 2015, apparently livistona (a favorite of mine) did not survive. However, none of these palms except palmetto would survive the temps of the 1980's. And as far as Phoenix palms they don't seem to have any around Columbia. So right there I think that proves robusta is hardier than phoenix palms. The hardy cretan date doesn't even seem to be planted in Columbia. The few things I've read claim that no phoenix would survive in Columbia or you would seem them already. They are readily sold at stores there according to one post I saw.

I don't know why people think that 1980's temps won't ever happen again. It was nothing mysterious, just a combination of cold AMO and warm PDO and the polar vortex went down to Montreal. It will happen again. It happened in 1963, and in decades before that. So while it is nice to see palms return after the 80's, they just will never last as long as in other parts of the world that have never ever got as cold as we did in the 80's.

I strongly believe the only reason why W. Robustas survived the 80's and the freezes of 2014, 2015 is the nature in which they grow and are better suited for the climate in Columbia than CIDP's are. W. Robustas during the summertime are just happier than a CIDP would be. Are Robustas hardier than CIDP's? Sure. But again, this is predominantly rated as a zone 9 palm and most people, even yourself, was convinced they weren't around anymore and wouldn't survive long term.

CIDP's are not readily available like W. robustas are in the big box stores. Even then, there's no way they'd carry a Cretan Date palm. Cretan Date palms are pretty much available to only those palm collectors; they aren't going to be available at Lowes. That's why you don't see Cretan Date palms. Most ordinary people don't know the difference between a date palm and a palmetto, much less a Cretan Date palm and a CIDP. It's just not in the market.

Hey man, the 1980 like temperatures could happen again. But I don't constantly live in fear that it will happen. It hasn't happened in my lifetime. And even then, W. Robustas that survived it in the 80's will mostly like survive it again. So whats to worry? If it does happen again, it's not going to be the type of devastation that you think it will be. Sure, a few weakened palms will bit the dust, but everything will come through unscathed. So long as you don't plant queens, archontophoenix, etc...

I'm glad that I made you a believer as far as Robustas in the Columbia area goes. Although there are no CIDP's that I know of except for an old lady that has a trunking specimen at the lake. Although, even if Columbia could grow CIDP's, you'd probably ask why you don't see Queen palms. And if there were queen palms, why don't you see Bismarckia Nobilis palms like in subtropical/tropical South Florida, so on and so forth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
I wouldn't expect any different for the St. Augustine area. I really like the "telephone pole" look. It makes a statement in the yard. But remember, fear the cold of the 1980's! That's why you can't grow Bismarckia Nobilis there! Lol just joking, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather