Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 06:27 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,334,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I told one of my friends that I'm moving to Minneapolis in September and they didn't know where that was....like seriously?

I don't think that would happen in any other country. And the argument of us being a big country isn't a good one because I'm sure any Canadian in Toronto would know where Edmonton is regardless of how far it is.
i am in the west and I know who Toronto's mayor is but I'll bet they can't name Edmonton's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 07:03 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,196,932 times
A scorching 35C in Winnipeg today!

Old 05-05-2016, 07:04 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,849,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I became interested in geography at the same age (6), I used to travel the Mid-Atlantic region a lot and became obsessed with maps. I got an interactive globe as a gift and became proficient at locating countries and cities around the planet. I think I did a little better at that age than I do now lol, although my knowledge of geography in general is much more vast.

It surprises me how little some people know, whether it was taught or not, I think everyone should at least know the basics.

Any idea why Americans seem to be the absolute worst at geography and not knowing much of anything about other countries or states?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:26 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,059,390 times
Because education in high school sucks.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:29 PM

6,909 posts, read 7,631,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
A scorching 35C in Winnipeg today!
Loving it! First BBQ of the year!

This will probably be the highest actual temperature recorded all year, but July and August will certainly have many days feeling hotter. Humidity was only 14% when it was 35C. While in July we can see dewpoints upwards of 26C.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Parts of SW Ontario have warm enough summer nights, LOL ...averaging 18C ...similar to yours.

As for shoulder seasons...Osoyoos and Spences Bridge warm up faster than Philly in spring.
They do?

I only looked at Osoyoos and I'm not sure I follow. We are warmer than there every month of the year except for March where we have almost identical mean temps. March mean here is 6.4C vs 6.6C there.

In Feb it is 2.1C here vs 1.6C there. April is 12.2C here vs 11.1C there. May is 17.7C here vs 15.2C there. Can you explain how that is warming up faster in spring?

Old 05-05-2016, 08:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,716,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Canada has a bad rap weather wise.

I always hear from folks on C-D that Canada is a cold country and how can anyone like to live here, thinking our year round sport is skiing and dog sled racing, riding skidoos, and we live in igloos with polar bears skulking around. Somewhere in our sovereign Arctic yes, south no.

With 4 distinct seasons, average annual temperatures mean nothing and does not give a true picture of regional Canadian weather on a per season outlook. There is a saying you can't hold the weather man accountable because Alberta weather can change without notice. A skiff of snow has happened in April and August (very rarely of course).

Summer in my Edmonton, Alberta can be hot, exceeding +90F. It is a rare summer that we don't have +80F to +90F for a few days in a row and more than once. For example, recent and present temperature in this Spring month of May our temps have been in excess of +80F, today forecast at +84F. I don't recall a summer in the last 10 years that remained as low as +70F.

Our temps this winter, lows -4F & +5F. Still not your average California or Pacific Northwest, I grant you.

Eastern and Central Canada had bad winter storms but not so in Western Canada where it has been mild.
Any news you might hear about Canada comes from our national new networks based in Central Canada, usually Toronto. The news is not National, it is entirely for Central Canada (largest population us westerners call The Center of the Universe), and maybe the Eastern "Seaboard". This year I heard nothing on CBC or CTV about the warmth in Western Canada, all eyes and ears were on bad weather in Central and Eastern. So no wonder the world gets an inaccurate impression.

While the US has tornados, floods, fires, shootings, and shootings, racial chaos, seems on a weekly basis there is some disaster, you don't see that in Canada. There is also the political Trump vs the world mentality. Yes we have dry weather, drought driven, wild fires, like the massive one in Fort McMurray causing the entire population of 80,000 to be evacuated and flooding every year in the Red River Valley, but, all over the map, no.

Allow me to "set it straight" about Canada's climate: It's not much different from ours. It sucks.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:47 PM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,213,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
They do?

I only looked at Osoyoos and I'm not sure I follow. We are warmer than there every month of the year except for March where we have almost identical mean temps. March mean here is 6.4C vs 6.6C there.

In Feb it is 2.1C here vs 1.6C there. April is 12.2C here vs 11.1C there. May is 17.7C here vs 15.2C there. Can you explain how that is warming up faster in spring?
I still think Osoyoos warms up at a faster rate than Philly in the spring....(average highs in F)

PHILADELPHIA.............OSOYOOS, BC

JAN AVG HIGH 40.......JAN AVG HIGH 36
FEB AVG HIGH 44.......FEB AVG HIGH 44
MAR AVG HIGH 53......MAR AVG HIGH 55
APR AVG HIGH 64.......APR AVG HIGH 65
MAY AVG HIGH 74.......MAYAVG HIGH 74

Osoyoos starts off cooler in January but warms up quickly late winter and spring...

Rest of the year Philly has the advantage...

JUN AVG HIGH 83.......JUN AVG HIGH 80
JUL AVG HIGH 87........JUL AVG HIGH 89
AUG AVG HIGH 85......AUG AVG HIGH 88
SEP AVG HIGH 78.......SEP AVG HIGH 78
OCT AVG HIGH 67.......OCT AVG HIGH 62
NOV AVG HIGH 56......NOV AVG HIGH 46
DEC AVG HIGH 45 ......DEC AVG HIGH 36

Osoyoos is not bad being almost 10 degrees farther north than Philadelphia,
just shows how much warmer the west is. And Osoyoos is 283 m above sea level (928 feet).

Of course Philadelphia's average lows are much warmer (except in winter),
Humid continental big city vs small semi-desert town.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:33 PM

29,382 posts, read 19,472,090 times
^^

Being humid also limits the averages highs more than a dry climates like Osoyoos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Any idea why Americans seem to be the absolute worst at geography and not knowing much of anything about other countries or states?
Social Studies is not stressed in school as much as it used to because we have fallen behind in math and reading... In most states now it isn't a state tested subject like ELA or Math. Trust me, I teach the subject.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I still think Osoyoos warms up at a faster rate than Philly in the spring....(average highs in F)

PHILADELPHIA.............OSOYOOS, BC

JAN AVG HIGH 40.......JAN AVG HIGH 36
FEB AVG HIGH 44.......FEB AVG HIGH 44
MAR AVG HIGH 53......MAR AVG HIGH 55
APR AVG HIGH 64.......APR AVG HIGH 65
MAY AVG HIGH 74.......MAYAVG HIGH 74

Osoyoos starts off cooler in January but warms up quickly late winter and spring...

Rest of the year Philly has the advantage...

JUN AVG HIGH 83.......JUN AVG HIGH 80
JUL AVG HIGH 87........JUL AVG HIGH 89
AUG AVG HIGH 85......AUG AVG HIGH 88
SEP AVG HIGH 78.......SEP AVG HIGH 78
OCT AVG HIGH 67.......OCT AVG HIGH 62
NOV AVG HIGH 56......NOV AVG HIGH 46
DEC AVG HIGH 45 ......DEC AVG HIGH 36

Osoyoos is not bad being almost 10 degrees farther north than Philadelphia,
just shows how much warmer the west is. And Osoyoos is 283 m above sea level (928 feet).

Of course Philadelphia's average lows are much warmer (except in winter),
Humid continental big city vs small semi-desert town.

Daytime highs would be warmer in a dry climate, but still too cold at night. Overall daily avg matters just as much as high temp to me. Cold mornings in Osoyoos. You are reaching in claiming they warm up faster in spring just because their daytime highs are ever so slightly warmer. All in all the monthly mean temps are warmer here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather