Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 12:04 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
oh yeah I didn't imagine it could be that cold. your climate is oceanic but the seasonality is stronger than what the averages suggest. I remember your forecasts from 2 or 3 months back and it was decently warm.

I guess you mostly need something that is wind/rain proof with a wool sweater underneath, and you are set.
Yep, no mistaking summer and winter, but those windy cold mornings mostly turn into calm warm days and the cold rain days generally clear quickly and turn into warm balmy days.

I'm a bit of a tough guy, So usually just have a a polar fleece over a couple of layers, as I'm usually in a short sleeved shirt by midday on all but the coldest days. I don't usually bother with a rain coat, preferring to just stay wet, until I'm ready to go indoors.

I do like an excuse to wear warm clothes, but I find too often that it's easy to overdress in the winters here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 09:05 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol, your part of Canada happens to be having a warm spring, but you will never convince me that most of Canada is not an ice box for me.

C'mon Edmonton has four straight months where the avg high is at or below 0C. Our Jan mean temp is warmer than your November mean temp by 8F. You probably have snow cover for months at a time. Ugh, no thanks. Toronto is far better than Edmonton. Even your summer nights are way tool cool. I'd have to wear a jacket at night with an avg low in August of 11C. Even your July is slightly cooler than the month of May here.

No thanks. The epitome of a cold continental climate that I strongly dislike.
From what I understand Edmonton can get some nice winter warmups, germinated by Chinook winds. Not quite as strong as the warmups in Calgary but still pretty dramatic.

I am not one of those Americans who would show up in July in Toronto with ski gear.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:14 PM

753 posts, read 837,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
From what I understand Edmonton can get some nice winter warmups, germinated by Chinook winds. Not quite as strong as the warmups in Calgary but still pretty dramatic.
Yeah, their winters are quite cold but they're close enough to the mountains to get chinooks. If they didn't, their winter averages would probably be similar to Saskatoon/Regina/Winnipeg.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
Yeah, their winters are quite cold but they're close enough to the mountains to get chinooks. If they didn't, their winter averages would probably be similar to Saskatoon/Regina/Winnipeg.
I think even Saskatchewan gets those warmups. And Winnipeg too but much more attenuated.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:56 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,089,719 times
It's fairly true that with the exception of some parts of Southern Ontario most of Canada's warmest areas have low rainfall (Medicine Hat, Kamloops, Kootenay and Okanagan Valleys) but you would be pleasantly surprised at how marginal a difference in temperature these areas have compared with major American cities. Sure many of them don't average above 80 F in the summer, but it's not like places like Chicago and New York are lightyears above the 80s in the summers themselves. Springtime warmup can lag in the Ontario area due to the oceanic influence of the Great Lakes, but places like the Ottawa Valley and Upper St Lawrence do not experience this problem to the same degree. If you are expecting Florida temperatures, we can't compete, but we can certainly deliver an extended warm season. It's not exactly a "blink of an eye and then winter again" as some would try and argue.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It's fairly true that with the exception of some parts of Southern Ontario most of Canada's warmest areas have low rainfall (Medicine Hat, Kamloops, Kootenay and Okanagan Valleys) but you would be pleasantly surprised at how marginal a difference in temperature these areas have compared with major American cities. Sure many of them don't average above 80 F in the summer, but it's not like places like Chicago and New York are lightyears above the 80s in the summers themselves. Springtime warmup can lag in the Ontario area due to the oceanic influence of the Great Lakes, but places like the Ottawa Valley and Upper St Lawrence do not experience this problem to the same degree. If you are expecting Florida temperatures, we can't compete, but we can certainly deliver an extended warm season. It's not exactly a "blink of an eye and then winter again" as some would try and argue.
New York City typically gets a few 3-5 day heat waves over 90F, 33C a summer. As for Ontario doesn't Hudson Bay help keep them cool during the spring as well?

Old 05-08-2016, 01:35 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:

I am not one of those Americans who would show up in July in Toronto with ski gear.

I hope this is a joke. If someone shows up in Toronto in July expecting snow and skiing conditions I would be really shocked. I know there are some really dumb people out there but they cannot be that dumb. We are in big trouble if this is a common event.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:44 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times
Quote:
New York City typically gets a few 3-5 day heat waves over 90F, 33C a summer. As for Ontario doesn't Hudson Bay help keep them cool during the spring as well?
NYC averages like 18 days over 90f a year

Old 05-08-2016, 03:30 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,284,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yep, no mistaking summer and winter, but those windy cold mornings mostly turn into calm warm days and the cold rain days generally clear quickly and turn into warm balmy days.

I'm a bit of a tough guy, So usually just have a a polar fleece over a couple of layers, as I'm usually in a short sleeved shirt by midday on all but the coldest days. I don't usually bother with a rain coat, preferring to just stay wet, until I'm ready to go indoors.

I do like an excuse to wear warm clothes, but I find too often that it's easy to overdress in the winters here.
yeah, your coldest month looks like late winter here. A period which can see cold and snow but also some pretty mild days (our records having a much larger range of course)

Old 05-08-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
NYC averages like 18 days over 90f a year
Correct. Usually in about two or three heat waves of 3-5 days duration and a sprinkling of one-day events, usually early or late in the season, or just in advance of cold fronts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather