Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 01:50 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
No, the ocean has too much warmth. Coldest on record for my area at sea level was 4C, and that was 40 years ago.
The only Place in SH(Outside Antarctic and its nearby islands) that get below freezing highs at sea level are Southern Patagonia,cities like Rio Gallegos,Rio Grande,Ushuaia,Tolhuin,Punta Arenas..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 01:56 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
The only Place in SH(Outside Antarctic and its nearby islands) that get below freezing highs at sea level are Southern Patagonia,cities like Rio Gallegos,Rio Grande,Ushuaia,Tolhuin,Punta Arenas..
Yep, it would be cool to go to those cities during winter.

Doesn't happen in NZ, although I can remember days where the average temperature remained below freezing, during a cold Invercargill winter.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:01 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Canberra, ACT?
Canberra IS the ACT, and yes, it's in that narrow coastal strip. Go and look at a map.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:01 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
So you're only asking about the coast of SE QLD, not the whole continent?
I thought the waters off Perth, Sydney and Melbourne were much warmer than they actually are. I understand why they have mild summers when their waters are cool around 22C. But if we're in 27C territory like Gold Coast and the water currents originate from the areas around Solomon Islands at 30C SST, then I have difficulties understanding the mildness of the Gold Coast. Even far inland like Ipswich is a cake walk, with low average highs, 19C average lows and zero humidity to speak of.

Quote:
Okinawa is 1.4 degrees warmer and Shanghai is 0.9 degrees warmer (monthlay mean high for warmest month). Is that a huge difference?
I am talking about the warmest seasons. Look at those overnight lows in Okinawa, Karachi and Shanghai. 26-28C avg overnight lows and packed with humidity! This is pure steam bath.

https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=47940

Even a place like Gladstone is great in the warmest season compared to Okinawa, Taipei, Wenzhou, Shanghai, Karachi etc.

Last edited by PCALMike; 05-08-2016 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 02:07 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,663 times
Sorry guys, but you are completely missing the target and even derailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is southern hemisphere. Sydney where all the people live is the same latitude as LA. With the clockwise vs counterclockwise ocean current and jet stream difference, the east coast of Australia follows similar climate rules to the west coast of the US.
This is wrong. Both the western and the eastern sides of the continents work the same way in both hemispheres. The jet stream always comes from the west. The clockwise vs counterclockwise just tells us that a nor'easter type of event would be a southeast blow in the Southern Hemisphere.

Back on the 'why summers in Eastern Australia are not so hot compared to...' thing, this discussion pretty much remembers me of the one that set out what the USA would be like if there was an ocean where Canada is: //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...dnt-exist.html, when some people thought the Eastern USA would be about as warm as it's currently in summer but much milder in winter, which I tried to explain why it was not exactly that way. This current discussion considers the opposite thing by following exactly the same wrong reasoning.

You are focusing too much on sea currents / sea surface temperatures, and they actually play a minor role in this case. The key is in the amount of landmass and how it disrupts an otherwise ideal air circulation pattern. Let's take the case of Asia, which is the most extreme. Land heats up faster than sea, and as it is a huge continent, it even warms enough in summer to make the ITCZ penetrate inside Eastern China: it's not the sea which is too hot, it's the land which gets incredibly hot and humid and affects the surrounding seas. The size of the continent generates its own massive monsoonal-like air circulation pattern that makes China very hot and wet in summer and very cold and dry in winter. But as I said earlier in this thread, Australia is not big enough to disrupt the circulation this way, thus seasonal variation is much lesser.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Sorry guys, but you are completely missing the target and even derailing.

This is wrong. Both the western and the eastern sides of the continents work the same way in both hemispheres. The jet stream always comes from the west. The clockwise vs counterclockwise just tells us that a nor'easter type of event would be a southeast blow in the Southern Hemisphere.

Back on the 'why summers in Eastern Australia are not so hot compared to...' thing, this discussion pretty much remembers me of the one that set out what the USA would be like if there was an ocean where Canada is: //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...dnt-exist.html, when some people thought the Eastern USA would be about as warm as it's currently in summer but much milder in winter, which I tried to explain why it was not exactly that way. This current discussion considers the opposite thing by following exactly the same wrong reasoning.

You are focusing too much on sea currents / sea surface temperatures, and they actually play a minor role in this case. The key is in the amount of landmass and how it disrupts an otherwise ideal air circulation pattern. Let's take the case of Asia, which is the most extreme. Land heats up faster than sea, and as it is a huge continent, it even warms enough in summer to make the ITCZ penetrate inside Eastern China: it's not the sea which is too hot, it's the land which gets incredibly hot and humid and affects the surrounding seas. The size of the continent generates its own massive monsoonal-like air circulation pattern that makes China very hot and wet in summer and very cold and dry in winter. But as I said earlier in this thread, Australia is not big enough to disrupt the circulation this way, thus seasonal variation is much lesser.
Thanks for this explanation! Some questions. What is ITCZ? And how can a tiny island like Okinawa be unbearable in the summer with sky high heat index? Is it because it is so close to the huge Asian landmass so the fact that it is an island doesnt make much difference compared to say the summers in Wenzhou?

Compare Amami, Kagoshima to Norfolk Island, both at the same latitude. Amami is unbearable with 45/35 heat index in the two hottest months, while Norfolk Island has an average high/low of 26/19 in the summer.

Is it safe to say that if China was not humid in summer, the summer temperatures in East and South China would be soaring with average highs into the 40s?

Old 05-08-2016, 03:00 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
PCALMike, I think I've figured out the problem here. Heat index is a calculation which includes humidity. It's not a temperature. Amami is not 45 degrees max, it is 31 degrees average max.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
PCALMike, I think I've figured out the problem here. Heat index is a calculation which includes humidity. It's not a temperature. Amami is not 45 degrees max.
Yes, I know, Amami is high/low of 32/25.5 with extreme humidity, making it completely miserable in the hottest months (40-45 avg max heat index and sweltering nights). Norfolk Island is a comfortable high/low of 26/19. Same latitude. I suspect the humid and hot air coming from the Asian landmass is what is causing this difference in mildness?

Old 05-08-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQKing View Post
Love it how these Australia is cold trolls conveniently forget the Pilbara coast

Where is arctic_gardener? That dick head is missing out on some serious trolling...
I think Australian cities have mild summers. Not cold.

Pilbara Coast is interesting! I should have specified I meant the populated areas. I dont know how the heat indexes of Pilbara Coast can be explained compared to the Gold Coast or a place like Gladstone. The waters on that side are a couple of degrees C warmer, I dont know if that can explain all of it. But I just expected the East to have higher average highs and some real heat indexes, but thats not the case.

The Pilbara Coast certainly is up there with Karachi, Wenzhou, Shenzhen, Taipei and Kaohsiung summers in terms of average heat indexes, so it certainly shows Australia is capable of generating this on a sustained basis in the warmest season. Pure sauna and oven and pure misery for sure.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:10 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
I think Australian cities have mild summers. Not cold.

Pilbara Coast is interesting! I should have specified I meant the populated areas. I dont know how the heat indexes of Pilbara Coast can be explained compared to the Gold Coast or a place like Gladstone. The waters on that side are a couple of degrees C warmer, I dont know if that can explain all of it. But I just expected the East to have higher average highs and some real heat indexes, but thats not the case.

The Pilbara Coast certainly is up there with Karachi, Wenzhou, Shenzhen, Taipei and Kaohsiung summers in terms of average heat indexes, so it certainly shows Australia is capable of generating this on a sustained basis in the warmest season. Pure sauna and oven and pure misery for sure.
Again quit with the mild! Most of the places you are on about have warm summers, not mild...

And why are you only concerned with the populated areas? And does Darwin also have a "mild" summer??

As I explained to you before the whole reason why the south east corner of Australia is the most populated is because it is cooler! Much of Australia is baking hot, but most choose to live where it is more comfortable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather