Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:54 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Wunderground has correct data. We are not talking about the Private Weather Stations.
Not an official source and that's what matters here when spreading info on the net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 05:55 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,774,375 times
Quote:
The Miami normals on wikipedia look pretty correct to me:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Climate

But yes there are some climate boxes that have some small deviations from the data at the source.
I'm correcting those if i find them.
The Majority of the Climate Data on Wikipedia is correct and you can always check yourself and compare these normals to those from the source.

Wunderground has correct data. We are not talking about the Private Weather Stations.
One can obtain data from the official synoptic weather stations there.
Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport
https://www.wunderground.com/history...ic=&reqdb.wmo=

I agree with this.
1981-2010 normals are more relevant to the current climate.
I think it was a pretty dumb decision from those Wikipedians.
Nope, look at the raw averaged 1981-2010 NowData. Here are the average highs for that time period, clearly below what is posted on Wiki.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiki data wrong for major cities!? :smack:-image.png  

Old 05-09-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Like that makes a drastic difference to how you perceive the climate....
You're right, it doesn't but then why would it be wrong?

Old 05-09-2016, 06:03 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
You're right, it doesn't but then why would it be wrong?
Again why should we use Raw data over the Official NCDC normal with smoothed data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not an official source and that's what matters here when spreading info on the net.
Compare these two:
National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Atlanta, Hartsfield - Jackson Atlanta International Airport

https://www.wunderground.com/history...ic=&reqdb.wmo=

The Hourly Measurements are the same.
Wunderground uses official data.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:08 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Nope, look at the raw averaged 1981-2010 NowData. Here are the average highs for that time period, clearly below what is posted on Wiki.
Actually no they are correct, check Miami area average temps, they are correct for every month Same thing for miami intl. airport info, all of it is correct.

Last edited by muslim12; 05-09-2016 at 06:32 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 06:29 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
I have said it before but some Spanish towns/cities are wrong as a certain user was bumping up the figures to make them appear warmer. He also added a weather box for a locality of Valencia using just 3 years worth of data from a (dodgy) Wunderground station When I changed the figures back to the correct ones as stated on the AEMET website, he accused ME of vandalising the weather boxes & using incorrect data & the moronic Wiki mods (or whatever they are) took his side despite me telling them to check the actual sources... Frickin tw*ts The same user also changed all the Spanish hardiness zones on Wikipedia for European cities, bumping those up too

Old 05-09-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I have said it before but some Spanish towns/cities are wrong as a certain user was bumping up the figures to make them appear warmer. He also added a weather box for a locality of Valencia using just 3 years worth of data from a (dodgy) Wunderground station When I changed the figures back to the correct ones as stated on the AEMET website, he accused ME of vandalising the weather boxes & using incorrect data & the moronic Wiki mods (or whatever they are) took his side despite me telling them to check the actual sources... Frickin tw*ts The same user also changed all the Spanish hardiness zones on Wikipedia for European cities, bumping those up too
You're talking about this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandia#Climate
Yes, it's absolute bull****. Official Climate Normals for Gandia don't exist in the first place.

But the Normals for other Spanish Weather Stations are correct

Old 05-09-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Actually no they are correct, check Miami area average temps, they are correct for every month Same thing for miami intl. airport info, all of it is correct.
Yes, the NowData info is correct, that's my point.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:42 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
W.U is better than Wiki but it's not a trusted source and shouldn't be used to look at records and stuff.

W.U basically uses the NWS data and enters it into their system same day but guess what happens when updates and changes are made... W.U doesn't pick it up. I've seen actual Max/Min be off because they were updated with NWS the next day.

Case in point.....from most recent memory...

The NYC snowfall amount for 1/23/16 was changed to 27.3". Did Weather Underground change it for that day? Nope.... So the biggest snowstorm on record wont come up with W.U but will with NWS. (Nowdata will update in coming days/weeks, see if W.U does too. I hope they do!)

Now imagine all the needed daily adjustments after Quality Control.

NWS Changed it.

W.U still has wrong data and wont show as biggest snowstorm on record. If anyone wants to keep checking back feel free. Or good luck contacting W.U to fix it. I tried without a response or a fix. pointless using them.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
W.U is better than Wiki but it's not a trusted source and shouldn't be used to look at records and stuff.

W.U basically uses the NWS data and enters it into their system same day but guess what happens when updates and changes are made... W.U doesn't pick it up. I've seen actual Max/Min be off because they were updated with NWS the next day.

Case in point.....from most recent memory...

The NYC snowfall amount for 1/23/16 was changed to 27.3". Did Weather Underground change it for that day? Nope.... So the biggest snowstorm on record wont come up with W.U but will with NWS. (Nowdata will update in coming days/weeks, see if W.U does too. I hope they do!)

Now imagine all the needed daily adjustments after Quality Control.

NWS Changed it.

W.U still has wrong data and wont show as biggest snowstorm on record. If anyone wants to keep checking back feel free. Or good luck contacting W.U to fix it. I tried without a response or a fix. pointless using them.

Okay, Let's say Wunderground is 95% correct.
It's a nice way to get data for synoptic stations around the world, where it's not possible to get Climate data as easily as in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather