Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 03:28 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,680,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
That's the only place in the UK right? The Big Ben? That's all I know. Oh and Stonehenge...
Really? You don't really know TARDIS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 03:48 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Lerwick has a disgusting climate. I think that's what most people seem to think of when they imagine the UK climate.
It's sub-polar oceanic, or was. It's really quite bad and a lot worse than any UK mainland climate.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Boring, thunderless, cold overcast drizzle where you don't see the sun for days on end and just get a light accumulation.
VERY different from your handsome, warm, short-lived but intense thunderstorms that are preceeded and proceeded by full on sunshine. Northern U.K has some of the dullest climates in the world and yes, I suspect this will turn into another bashing British climates thread.
I suppose that's why the Brits have such good skin. I've noticed that many Brits have youthful looking skin, even in older years. While the people in hot, sunny climates like Phoenix can have skin that looks like leather.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:13 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
You love coming on here to moan don't you?

Anyway, nowhere in the UK is even remotely sunny, so that stereotype is certainly correct. The sunniest place in the country only gets about 54% sunshine in the sunniest month, and that is only in a very tiny part of the country. Move inland away from that small area, and it quickly drops below 50%.
This simply isn't true! I know I am lucky that I live near the south coast but look at this:-

Eastbourne (Aurn) climate information - Met Office

If you think that (due to its northerly location) winter sunshine hours are so low (2 hours a day) yet annual sunshine hours are still greater than 1800 it just goes to show how 'sunny' this part of the world is!! over 8 hours a day through the Summer months, how is this 'not remotely sunny' exactly??

Old 05-20-2016, 03:26 AM

Quote:
He's just fed up with the inaccurate stereotypes like everyone else from the UK on here (minus you).

I don't really fret over whether a summer day is sunny or partly cloudy, they are both good and a partly cloudy day isn't going to make someone suicidal. Some people would have you believe that you go days without seeing the sun however, which is only true in the cloudiest spells of winter (around 3-5 days at a time). The winter months average 2-3 hrs a day, and most days see some sunshine. I'd rather have a couple of hours every day, instead of 15 days of overcast and then 15 days of sun.

Didn't the NE US just go 10-11 days without seeing the sun? That's more than we went at any point over the past year, during which Heathrow had its cloudiest November and 2nd cloudiest December.
The UK is THE most talked about climate in the world yet it is still THE most misunderstood, this is down to the stereotypical views of the climate that simply won't go away. You can see the inappropriately dressed tourists in London at any time of the year! They stick out a mile and are simply clueless about the 'right thing to wear', most tourists are bundled up like its the Arctic even in July, you see them with several items of clothing wrapped around their middles, jumper, raincoat etc, sweat dripping off their miserable hot red faces while on the underground, an umbrella in hand. I read somewhere once (Rick Steve's guide to London perhaps) that if visiting you must 'waterproof your shoes' I mean WTF! I've lived in the UK my whole life and I have never 'waterproofed my shoes' or walked around with a 'wax jacket' and umbrella (in fact I've never even owned an umbrella except the one that came with my golf bag), nobody suggests that the UK is some kind of 'Tropical paradise', we know the weather can be a bit unpredictable at times but the bad rep it gets is completely and utterly over the top, why is it that the same tourists will trounce around in London in wellington boots and yet a week later have a completely different outfit for Paris?

Old 05-20-2016, 04:13 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This simply isn't true! I know I am lucky that I live near the south coast but look at this:-

Eastbourne (Aurn) climate information - Met Office

If you think that (due to its northerly location) winter sunshine hours are so low (2 hours a day) yet annual sunshine hours are still greater than 1800 it just goes to show how 'sunny' this part of the world is!! over 8 hours a day through the Summer months, how is this 'not remotely sunny' exactly??
The sunniest place in the country barely gets over the 50% mark in the sunniest month. That's not sunny. That's a tiny sliver of the countr too, so go inland a few miles and it rapidly gets worse.
Also, it depends what you're used to though doesn't it. If you've lived in the UK all your life, then you're more likely to find it acceptable. If you've lived anywhere that gets something resembling a summer, then you realise just how crap summer is in England. When I was a kid, I didn't mind summer here, but then I started working abroad...

Old 05-20-2016, 04:42 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
I've spent summers in northern Spain, Brisbane and Romania, and I don't find southern England abnormally cloudy.

Northern Spain was very similar to here, Romania was warmer but rainier; the hot days were hotter but the cool days were cooler.

Brisbane was obviously the best climate, but it wasn't as sunny or oppressive as people make it out to be. It was windier than the UK.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:13 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
I've spent summers in northern Spain, Brisbane and Romania, and I don't find southern England abnormally cloudy.

Northern Spain was very similar to here, Romania was warmer but rainier; the hot days were hotter but the cool days were cooler.

Brisbane was obviously the best climate, but it wasn't as sunny or oppressive as people make it out to be. It was windier than the UK.
Well you would say that wouldn't you. You won't have a bad word said about the climate of the South East. If your sunniest month barely gets 200 sun hours, then it's pretty bad.

Where in Romania where you? I find it hard to believe that somewhere like Bucharest, which is about 6c warmer in summer, gets cooler days than London in summer.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:15 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
In Spain I was in the mounains between Oviedo (which is cooler and cloudier than London) and Leon (which is warmer and sunnier), and in Romania I was in Timisoara/Deva.

Have you not seen any of my posts complaining about the terrible summers we had between 2007-2012, or how when we do get average temps, we can't even record average sun? If we had average temps and normal sun then, no I won't have much bad to say about it.

Last edited by B87; 05-20-2016 at 05:47 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
The sunniest place in the country barely gets over the 50% mark in the sunniest month. That's not sunny. That's a tiny sliver of the countr too, so go inland a few miles and it rapidly gets worse.
Also, it depends what you're used to though doesn't it. If you've lived in the UK all your life, then you're more likely to find it acceptable. If you've lived anywhere that gets something resembling a summer, then you realise just how crap summer is in England. When I was a kid, I didn't mind summer here, but then I started working abroad...
But that's no worse than huge areas of the world!! an average of 8 hours of sunshine stacks up well against a lot of places, I responded to the statement 'nowhere in the UK is even REMOTELY sunny' well I think that this proves that statement wrong, no wonder the world has the weather in the UK so wrong with in-accurate statements like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather