Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 03:52 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times

Advertisements

It's not just the British climate that gets the bad rap, but oceanic climates in general. Some seem to think that oceanic climates are endless drizzle and overcast and that going for a swim equals death from hypothermia.

Last edited by Joe90; 05-20-2016 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 03:56 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,567,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I have no intention of getting into arguments about UK-Europe climates, but will point out that when quoting summer sunshine hours (or winter ones) the available day length has to be taken into consideration.
Why does the Heathrow sun recorder seem to under record by about 2 hrs a day on sunny or partly cloudy days? I can understand 30 mins or so but last week we recorded days of 11-12 hrs sun, when it was sunny for the entire day from sunrise to sunset and should've been more like 14-15 hrs.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:56 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,804,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Very scary. Always had you down as a chav.

You seem unable to understand that not everyone craves endless sunshine and heat, in the way you do. I don't desire Med-style summers. My ideal average summer temperatures are similar to what London currently experiences, but slightly sunnier.

The problem is, you go on about it endlessly, and make out like summers in England are so unimaginably bad that life just can't continue here. You'd think people were stuck indoors all year because it is never warm enough for people to leave the bloody house. It's a p*ss take, and you're making yourself look like a plonker. You sound like Owenc - completely unable to accept that other people don't like what you like and making a big song and dance about it like a little cry baby. Honestly, get a grip. I don't think summers here are as bad a you do - and I have experienced what summers are like in other countries you presumptuous little shytbag. I don't need to live in Saudi Arabia or wherever else to know full what what type of summer weather I like, and don't like. Nob.

Take my advice, and leave. Move abroad. Go to Spain, Aus, wherever. You are the one forcing yourself to stay in a country where you think summers are appalling. That's not very smart, is it? So goodbye, farewell.
Chav? Why, because some little boy can't handle an argument, and has to sink to bringing my children into it.

When did I say that it's unlivable, never warm etc? I've never given anybody abuse for liking the climate here, I'm completely accept that. The problem I've had is when people say it's warm and/or sunny. I accept warmth is relative to what people are used to, but IMO, and I'm sure many others, low 70's as HIGHs, therefore alot of the day will be well below that btw, is not warm. as for the sunshine, well that's just a fact that it isn't sunny in summer. You can't argue with that. So
exaggerate what I've said all you want, but I'm standing by it, because those are my opinions.

Also, clearly I've hit a nerve, as we all know you've never been anywhere. My 3 year old daughter has seen more of the world than you have.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:59 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,517,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Chav? Why, because some little boy can't handle an argument, and has to sink to bringing my children into it.

When did I say that it's unlivable, never warm etc? I've never given anybody abuse for liking the climate here, I'm completely accept that. The problem I've had is when people say it's warm and/or sunny. I accept warmth is relative to what people are used to, but IMO, and I'm sure many others, low 70's as HIGHs, therefore alot of the day will be well below that btw, is not warm. as for the sunshine, well that's just a fact that it isn't sunny in summer. You can't argue with that. So
exaggerate what I've said all you want, but I'm standing by it, because those are my opinions.

Also, clearly I've hit a nerve, as we all know you've never been anywhere.
I don't need to exaggerate what you say - you do a good job of that on your own. Most of your posts, are rubbish. Nothing else to it.

I'm not the one who came on here, blazing with swear words and accusing others of being narrow-minded/living in a sh*thole/never going anywhere - just because I said you're 'bloody irritating'. Talk about hitting a nerve.. honestly. I'd expect a well-traveled military man such as yourself to be a little less sensitive.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:01 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,567,528 times
Most days here in summer are partly cloudy, and I don't feel depressed on a partly cloudy day compared to a sunny day. Even the mostly cloudy days are not that bad, as the clouds are convective and interesting to look at. Slate grey status crap rarely occurs in summer.

Regarding the majority of the day being too cold; an average day in July or August would be above 20c for around 10 hours, which is plenty of time to get outside and do something.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:02 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,577,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Why does the Heathrow sun recorder seem to under record by about 2 hrs a day on sunny or partly cloudy days? I can understand 30 mins or so but last week we recorded days of 11-12 hrs sun, when it was sunny for the entire day from sunrise to sunset and should've been more like 14-15 hrs.
The Heathrow overall averages seem to fit into the regional pattern OK. I'd have to know whether or not they are using electronic recording or older Campbell-Stokes type of manual recording, which can't usually respond to the lowest 30 minutes of sun angles. Or there could be horizon obstructions. You could ask UK Met. how much sunshine gets recorded on the clearest days at other sites around London and the SE zone. No doubt they would charge you if any data was provided - our gov't met. agencies were doing that for a number of years but the government here stopped that nonsense back in 2007.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I don't need to exaggerate what you say - you do a good job of that on your own. Most of your posts, are rubbish. Nothing else to it.
Clearly, you've just done that. YOU'RE the one that can't accept other people's opinions.

I'm getting all these rep points. Wonder why that is...

Old 05-20-2016, 04:04 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,517,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Clearly, you've just done that. YOU'RE the one that can't accept other people's opinions.

I'm getting all these rep points. Wonder why that is...
Good for you - you must rely on virtual rep points to make yourself feel better.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:05 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,286,191 times
Quote:
Who on earth said there was? There are plenty of aspects of my climate I don't like - not enough thunderstorms, not enough snow, kind of boring, winters too mild, summer rainfall too low. Yet somehow, I don't sit here complaining about it all the time or making out like it's sooo dreadfully bad when I know full well it could be far, far worse. Dean York is just a drama queen.
I've never really seen Dean complain anymore than anyone else.

Quote:
I've lived or spent extended periods of time in other countries in summer, yet I don't think our summers are dreadful.
I think my winters are dreadful and I've never spent a winter outside of the NYC-DC region. It's difficult to shake your preferences.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Most days here in summer are partly cloudy, and I don't feel depressed on a partly cloudy day compared to a sunny day. Even the mostly cloudy days are not that bad, as the clouds are convective and interesting to look at. Slate grey status crap rarely occurs in summer.

Regarding the majority of the day being too cold; an average day in July or August would be above 20c for around 10 hours, which is plenty of time to get outside and do something.
If you get less than 50% possible sunshine in the sunniest month, which London and the majority of the country does get, then it's obviously more than partly cloudy.

I don't feel depressed at all. It's only weather, however my preferences are completely different to others. As for the temperature, low 20's isn't warm summer weather IMO. Yes it's fine for outdoor activities, but it's not true summer weather to me, plus the evenings and mornings are too cool.

IMO of course, before vagina what to put here starts complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather