Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 12:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I can do Nelson since I have easily accesible data for it.

A=54.9. B=19.2. C=9 (Avg of July low and all time record low, and the USDA Zone it applies to) D=64.2. E=45

54.9-19.2=35.7
35.7+(2*9)=53.7
53.7+(64.2-72)=45.9
45.9+(45-32)=58.9
58.9+(14.2/3)=63.63

(54.9/32)*(54.9-32)=1.716*(22.9)
1.716*22.9=39.296

63.63+39.296=102.926=H

This puts Nelson in C group with 'c' for summer month

54.9*2=109.8=n1
n2=25 (no winter or summer bias)
y=378

109.8+25=134.8/378=0.357=x so a humid climate

And since Nelson is in C group with a warmest month below 74 F, it is Cool Oceanic Warm Summer / Coc
Same climate as Paris and Vancouver ? Do they also have citrus and avocado orchards?
The majority of winters here don't see a day as cold as the average maximum in Paris or Vancouver -does that sound like the same climate?

Last edited by Joe90; 05-31-2016 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 12:57 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Same climate as Paris and Vancouver ? Do they also have citrus and avocado orchards?
The majority of winters here don't see a day as cold as the average maximum in Paris or Vancouver -does that sound like the same climate?
Well, in my C group, the cooler the summer month, the smaller the annual range, so where a C climate with a b or a for the summer can get quite cold in the winter, one with a c or d in the summer is very stable and has limited to no winter cold.

And I have two oceanic groups, I also have a Warm Oceanic (Boc/Bod) in the B group for climates like Sao Paolo, Sydney and Bogota as examples.

So the only thing differing your climate from Paris is slightly warmer winters with less cold, it is still cooler than Sydney overall

Old 05-31-2016, 12:58 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Seriously? You're acting like Orlando has the climate of Chicago or Minneapolis. Going from a 30-31 C average high to 21 C is not THAT shocking. You guys act like the temperatures that occur during cold snaps are the average or something. Why do you guys focus so much on the cold extremities? You seriously wouldn't consider Tallahassee, a climate that has an average high above 27 C for six months, a subtropical climate because of like 30-40 cold nights a year?

A subtropical climate doesn't have to resemble a tropical climate, even in looks. And if you go to Orlando and seriously think it doesn't look subtropical, then you need glasses. You don't think giant live oaks covered in spanish moss is subtropical, or do you think palm trees are the only subtropical tree?

We get hot tropical like summers, and don't look at all subtropical in winter and in fact really look very similar to the inland South in winter. Do you consider coastal DE subtropical? A place should look and feel subtropical in winter don't you think? Not just feel, but also look is the key?

People tend to focus on the variations within an average winter, but you also have to look at just how varied it can be from one winter to the next. If a person got off a plane in Atlanta in 2014, 2015, or 2010 they wouldn't think they were in a subtropical climate even if they stayed the whole month. In Atlanta Jan 2014 had an avg high/low of 48/26F, and Feb 2015 was 50/31F. Jan 2014 had three days not go above 32F, and a night with a low of 6F. Feb 2015 had an ice day. Jan 2014 there wasn't really that much different than Philly this winter except we had a warmer winter min temp. Portland, OR has a warmer mean temp than that.

It is the fact that some winters there are very cold such that winter mean temps are way off the average. If you were to visit in one of those winters I doubt you would think you landed in a subtropical climate.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Well, in my C group, the cooler the summer month, the smaller the annual range, so where a C climate with a b or a for the summer can get quite cold in the winter, one with a c or d in the summer is very stable and has limited to no winter cold.

And I have two oceanic groups, I also have a Warm Oceanic (Boc/Bod) in the B group for climates like Sao Paolo, Sydney and Bogota as examples.

So the only thing differing your climate from Paris is slightly warmer winters with less cold, it is still cooler than Sydney overall
I just look at physical environments. Avocado and citrus orchards orchards vs what? cabbages ?.....turnips? Queen palms vs oak trees?

With all those possible classifications, your system is still far too broad and doesn't really attempt to show understanding of what climate means in terms of day to day living.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:09 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
I just look at physical environments. Avocado and citrus orchards orchards vs what? cabbages ?.....turnips? Queen palms vs oak trees?

With all those possible classifications, your system is still far too broad and doesn't really attempt to show understanding of what climate means in terms of day to day living.
Well, Koppen is more broad then mine. You and TommyFL are far far too picky

Old 05-31-2016, 01:11 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:

I agree with you. A place should look subtropical, or at least people should be able to tell what the climate is like by looking at the vegetation.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Well, Koppen is more broad then mine. You and TommyFL are far far too picky
Why wouldn't I be picky, when you consider my climate to be like Copenhagen or Berlin? -Does Copenhagan have orange orchards? Do Berliners harvest papaya during winter?

Koopen had much fewer classifications, so could be expected to be broader.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I agree with you. A place should look subtropical, or at least people should be able to tell what the climate is like by looking at the vegetation.
Yep exactly. My climate is supposed to be the same as Vancouver, yet the majority of native species here, wouldn't survive a winter in Vancouver-how can they be the same climates?

If someone says that a climate is the same as my climate, then I would expect the same species to grow in both climates equally well.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:28 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
That's from a botanical perspective, not a climatic one. Should a climate that never gets hot automatically be called subarctic, even if it has mild oceanic winters?
Yes I know, but what can or cannot grow somewhere is down to the climate...

And I'm just saying it is silly to base a climate more on what the summers are like, the entire year should factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Seriously? You're acting like Orlando has the climate of Chicago or Minneapolis. Going from a 30-31 C average high to 21 C is not THAT shocking. You guys act like the temperatures that occur during cold snaps are the average or something. Why do you guys focus so much on the cold extremities? You seriously wouldn't consider Tallahassee, a climate that has an average high above 27 C for six months, a subtropical climate because of like 30-40 cold nights a year?

A subtropical climate doesn't have to resemble a tropical climate, even in looks. And if you go to Orlando and seriously think it doesn't look subtropical, then you need glasses. You don't think giant live oaks covered in spanish moss is subtropical, or do you think palm trees are the only subtropical tree?
You have misinterpreted what I said...

Wildcat was solely metioning the summer for the climate, stating that someone from the tropics wouldn't feel any difference if they stepped of a plane in the US south during the summer, I just made the point that they could get a shock if they arrived in winter... I never stated what part of the US south, obviously much of Florida is warmer & Orlando has a very warm climate, with rare freezes...

I never said a subtropical climate should look tropical, that again was in response to what Wildcat claimed (that the US south is the true definition of a subtropical climate & it resembles a tropical climate more than Rome or Sydney). I just said that Sydney looked more tropical than much of the US south... And again I never once mentioned Orlando, which I think looks tropical, not subtropical, so no glasses needed for me thanks

This thread was aimed at Louisiana & why it can look dead there in winter, that to me does not look subtropical, neither do some other parts of the US south (note again I never specifically mentioned which areas or mentioned Orlando or anywhere in Florida )

Old 05-31-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:

So the only thing differing your climate from Paris is slightly warmer winters with less cold,
Not really true. Paris has 5 months colder than my coldest winter month, while Vancouver has 7 months colder than my coldest winter month - I would say that is quite a major difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather