Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 07:19 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
The Answer is,Patagonia is an Unique climate in the World,there are no other place with its Geography,it couse arent Cold,but arent Mild like you are trying to say too.
Yes Patagonia is unique but still overall mild for its latitude in winter. NOWHERE on the coast averages a high temperature in winter below freezing even at high latitudes in Patagonia. That is not Cold in my opinion. Think of all the cities some even at much lower latitudes that average below freezing highs in winter. Cities like:
Detroit
Chicago
Minneapolis
Toronto
Montreal
Edmonton
Calgary
Moscow
Harbin
Pyongyang
Sapporo
...and dozens of other Chinese and Russian cities which I won't mention...

All of these cities have millions of people. They are cold. Patagonia is not Cold. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 07:39 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,663 times
The First Pulse of Cold air has has arrived tonight in South-Central South America,many cities may register Below Freezing temps this next morning.

Also an Meteorology Site(Metsul) here posted an note about:

This first cold air pulse is driven by an low pressure settled at north-east of the Falkland Islands, and advances to Uruguay and South and East of the Southern Region. So the early hours of Wednesday (8) will be cold, with probable negative marks, Wind, on the other hand, will bring much lower thermal sensation in most of South this Wednesday Morning.It will be cold until afternoon, despite the sun. The temperature will sink from the evening on Wednesday, preceding the early hours of Thursday (9) which will be frozen with minimal near 0ºC or negative in most Southern towns,even Porto Alegre region, which will provide widespread frost.

Also it will be nice Cold in the Highlands,it can even Snow in Some towns,like Urupema,look the forecast there:

Old 06-07-2016, 07:56 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes Patagonia is unique but still overall mild for its latitude in winter. NOWHERE on the coast averages a high temperature in winter below freezing even at high latitudes in Patagonia. That is not Cold in my opinion. Think of all the cities some even at much lower latitudes that average below freezing highs in winter. Cities like:
Detroit
Chicago
Minneapolis
Toronto
Montreal
Edmonton
Calgary
Moscow
Harbin
Pyongyang
Sapporo
...and dozens of other Chinese and Russian cities which I won't mention...

All of these cities have millions of people. They are cold. Patagonia is not Cold. Get over it.
So, by your logic, any climate warmer than those of continental Russia or Canada (probably the two frig*ing coldest countries in the world) is automatically called "mild". Sounds about right

And, yeah, Ushuaia for instance isn't cold. That's why is classified as tundra climate (ET). Give me a break.

---

Cool day in the atlantic coast of the Buenos Aires province. Some cities, such as Necochea, registered graupel during the morning:

Meanwhile, in the Andes they are still working to reopen the route that connects with Chile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
The First Pulse of Cold air has has arrived tonight in South-Central South America,many cities may register Below Freezing temps this next morning.
After the last models runs, it seems like finally southern Brazil will get the best part, instead of Buenos Aires province as they showed at first.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
So, by your logic, any climate warmer than those of continental Russia or Canada (probably the two frig*ing coldest countries in the world) is automatically called "mild". Sounds about right

And, yeah, Ushuaia for instance isn't cold. That's why is classified as tundra climate (ET). Give me a break.
Ushuaia is a only a tundra because its summers are very cool and not because it has very cold winters. Its winters are not that cold, about on the level of NYC. Its not even a real tundra anyway because trees grow in the town.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:54 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Ushuaia is a only a tundra because its summers are very cool and not because it has very cold winters. Its winters are not that cold, about on the level of NYC. Its not even a real tundra anyway because trees grow in the town.

but it's winters are far windier, cloudier, and have no chance of getting any warmth compared to continental climates with similar winter averages.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:07 PM

Here is how I personally define temperature ranges based on average temps in winter:

Below freezing is cold
0-10C is cool
11 to 18C is mild
19+ is warm

So nowhere really has a really cold winter in coastal Patagonia IMO with the coldest being on the boundary between cool and cold.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
but it's winters are far windier, cloudier, and have no chance of getting any warmth compared to continental climates with similar winter averages.
They also generally don't tend to get as severe cold snaps as continental climates so it Averages out...

Old 06-07-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
They also generally don't tend to get as severe cold snaps as continental climates so it Averages out...

But you'd never experience any warmth or decent sunshine hours there either so I'd still say NYC beats a polar-oceanic climate with similar winter average temperatures by a HUGE margin. Plus the endless gloom and strong winds will certainly make winter "feel" a lot colder than it would in NYC.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
But you'd never experience any warmth or decent sunshine hours there either so I'd still say NYC beats a polar-oceanic climate with similar winter average temperatures by a HUGE margin. Plus the endless gloom and strong winds will certainly make winter "feel" a lot colder than it would in NYC.
But where do you draw the line though? Temperatures are measured the same way everywhere. Sun can only do so much. Minneapolis is much sunnier than Ushuaia and gets warmups in winter too. Would you choose it too?

Old 06-07-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
But where do you draw the line though? Temperatures are measured the same way everywhere. Sun can only do so much. Winnipeg is much sunnier than Ushuaia and gets warmups in winter too. Would you choose it too?
I'd certainly choose Chicago over Ushaia. Winnipeg is a much tougher decision- I'd have to see the windchill factors in Ushaia when the sun does shine. I don't mind brief, sharp cold snaps (like the U.S South) if the climate is overall warmth but subfreezing for months without any real warm spells in exchange for a warm summer is a lot tougher.

Forget the bitter cold vs. ocean moderated subpolar garbage (both suck anyway) but how about this warm oceanic climate over the warmest subtropical climate in the U.S (further south it would be classified as tropical). I'd rather debate these two likeable (for me) climates than garbage ones.

Which do you pick?

warmest oceanic climate in the world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...n_Cape#Climate

vs

warmest subtropical climate in the U.S: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_S...lorida#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather