Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 05:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quite a few trees down in the wind last night, so plenty of firewood work for a while.. The biggest trees would have around 10 cord of wood each.

A couple of photos showing downed trees, and a third showing "snow cloud" further up the valley. Snow level was at about 700 metres last night, although there was frozen rain this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2016 thread (Southern Hemisphere)-img_4349.jpg   Winter 2016 thread (Southern Hemisphere)-img_4357.jpg   Winter 2016 thread (Southern Hemisphere)-img_4364.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 08:24 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
I see that Rwood bloke is in his usual denial mode but then whats new

Should see him on the other NZ forums, people are afraid to offend him, not me - thank god for freedom of speech
Drivel. NZ local weather forum moderators and other members praise me for my contributions, especially the old NZMS monthly summaries. As for weatherforum.org, it has a cabal of climate change deniers who get no mercy from the rest of us - not that they give up their inane utterances.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:26 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yes, I think there might be a sunshine record going back to then.

Droughts and fires are generally much worse in Marlborough than Nelson.
Embedded in a general run of dryish years 1930-1935 for NZ, especially central NZ. Lots of sunshine of course, which I would have loved.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:48 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
After a week or so, it felt very mild here today. I made a walk with 13ºC outside, wearing only a light sport jacket and i didn't felt any cool at all.

In Patagonia, it was another cold day in Maquinchao. Last 9 days there and the snow accumulated it hasn't melted yet:

Not bad for a place in SH at same latitude of New York, right? I think even the newyorkers cold lovers would sign a week of temps like that with their eyes closed.

Last edited by marlaver; 07-30-2016 at 09:04 PM..

Old 07-30-2016, 09:28 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post

In Patagonia, it was another cold day in Maquinchao. Last 9 days there and the snow accumulated it hasn't melted yet:

Not bad for a place in SH at same latitude of New York, right? I think even the newyorkers cold lovers would sign a week of temps like that with their eyes closed.
Wow,Central Patagonia are really amazing,I think Maquinchao has the same Annual average low as New York(-13C) or even lower,the difference is NYC can get lower negative highs,for example -7C/-13C,while in Maquinchao and most of Patagonia are something like 4C/-13C,with great difference between day and night,Balmaceda for example dont registered any ice day yet this winter,but yet in its coldest day got +6/-14C.

There are a place ,80km South of Maquinchao,at Rio Negro/Chubut Border,looking on Google earth most of its are at 1600m,always when I look at climate models,it are one of the coldest places in Patagonia(Outside the High Andes of Course),during cold shots ,models shows -20C/-25C to there,unfortunately there arent any weather station,that the problem,im surely that a lot of places in Central Patagonia can get very cold and yet have some summer,but we cant record it.

Also this July are finishing most below normal on Southern South America,expect for Southern Patagonia and some parts of Chile,most of Brazil above average too,including here,the drought helped on it.

Last edited by ghost-likin; 07-30-2016 at 09:36 PM..

Old 07-30-2016, 09:54 PM

The dream storm,GFS projected an monster on its last run,its too far but.. too beauty,if that happens....

Through:

Advance of Storm:

That.. hurt my eyes:

Last edited by ghost-likin; 07-30-2016 at 10:03 PM..

Old 07-30-2016, 11:03 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,954,632 times
Is this one of the coldest winters for the southern cone in history? They seem to keep getting pummeled by storm after storm

Old 07-30-2016, 11:17 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
All those maps bring up memories of February-March 2015 in Northeast US lol

Old 07-31-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Is this one of the coldest winters for the southern cone in history? They seem to keep getting pummeled by storm after storm
Yeah,Coldests in many years,and last year Southern Cone even had winter..
This year Southern Brazil had 3 snow events,and the cold wave on early June make somes towns to register -8C/9C,coldest since 90s,and the dry Central Patagonia had somes snowstorms too,this winter are being amazing,and its not over yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
All those maps bring up memories of February-March 2015 in Northeast US lol
The storms in Northeast US are insane,the Low pressure moves from Pacific and cross all the US until Northeast? this Storm that Gfs are showing comes from Pacific too,crosses Southern Bolivia,Paraguay them comes along the Jet Stream to the Coast of Southern Brazil,in the same time an High pressures coming from South sits on Northern Argentina/Paraguay and brings cold weather,this is the classic setup of Winter Storms in Southern Brazil.

But thats too far,I dont think will happens,this storm would historic,maybe stronger than the one of 2013.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:02 AM

795 posts, read 739,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
In history? Are you serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather