Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 12:38 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 1,998,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Record cold? Seen articles saying Brazil has lost lots of coffee and banana crops because of all this cold.
as I saied,not record cold,but coldest in many years,and yes,there are a lot of losses due to intenses cold shots,who freeze the crops,but they know the risk,most years are calm,but sometimes that can happen and destroy everything.

nexts 10 days seems interesting to New Zealand,I was looking on forecast for some towns there and i seen a lot of subfreezing highs.

200mb winds shows the movement of the Jet Stream and direction of the winds,from Southwest there:

500mb height anomaly:

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 01:53 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,578,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post

nexts 10 days seems interesting to New Zealand,I was looking on forecast for some towns there and i seen a lot of subfreezing highs.

200mb winds shows the movement of the Jet Stream and direction of the winds,from Southwest there:

500mb height anomaly:

Interesting.
NZ had a warm July following an exceptionally warm June - and very sunny in the eastern side of the country. A cold spell in the first half of August will be the anomaly in a warm winter.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:04 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,296,116 times
If you go to the south of Valparaiso and go to the hills you can actually see the Andes really well, and behind the Andes you can see the stunning, snow capped peak of Aconcagua over the border. Tried to snap some pics of Aconcagua but it's too white and far away for my phone camera

Old 08-02-2016, 12:39 PM

Forecast sites are showing great snow and cold coming for New Zealand nexts days,as I posted above.

Windity look over Southwestern Parts of NZ,some spots below -20C,interesting that wikipedia says the record low of Queenstown are -8.4C,and map shows -13C to there,will this cold event broke it?

Arrowtown:

Dunedin:

Last edited by ghost-likin; 08-02-2016 at 01:01 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 01:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,585,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Forecast sites are showing great snow and cold coming for New Zealand nexts days,as I posted above.

Windity look over Southwestern Parts of NZ,some spots below -20C,interesting that wikipedia says the record low of Queenstown are -8.4C,and map shows -13C to there,will this cold event broke it?

Arrowtown:

Dunedin:
Might be a bit late in the season for such a run of temperatures, but never say never. It will definitely be the main event for this (mild) winter though

I was living in Queenstown in the 1990s, and remember one cold spell and quite a few Arrowtown residents with consistent reports of a cold night/morning temperaturey around -21C, but it was never noted in any official records. I can also remember mid day temperatures well below freezing in Arrowtowm - maybe -10/-11C, and an even colder midday temperature at an old townsite about 30km up the river from there.

Arrowtown would be a good site for a proper weather station.

3C and heavy rain here at present (7.42 am) -it's going to be a wet, muddy day for me.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Might be a bit late in the season for such a run of temperatures, but never say never. It will definitely be the main event for this (mild) winter though

I was living in Queenstown in the 1990s, and remember one cold spell and quite a few Arrowtown residents with consistent reports of a cold night/morning temperaturey around -21C, but it was never noted in any official records. I can also remember mid day temperatures well below freezing in Arrowtowm - maybe -10/-11C, and an even colder midday temperature at an old townsite about 30km up the river from there.

Arrowtown would be a good site for a proper weather station.

3C and heavy rain here at present (7.42 am) -it's going to be a wet, muddy day for me.

Im sure that a lot of spots there can easy get temperatures below -20C/-25C or lower during thoses cold waves,but like in Patagonia,dont have too many weather stations to record it.

Also,Post news about temperature and snow there,I want know the lowest temperature during this cold snap.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,889,635 times
Well winter only has a few weeks left in the SH, and from what I have seen your winters just seem to pass by year in year out without nary a cold blast anywhere. Are there brutal cold outbreaks from Antarctica anywhere down there, ever?

Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,296,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well winter only has a few weeks left in the SH, and from what I have seen your winters just seem to pass by year in year out without nary a cold blast anywhere. Are there brutal cold outbreaks from Antarctica anywhere down there, ever?
Not on this side of the Andes, I don't think we've dropped below 7c the past two years

Old 08-02-2016, 11:52 PM

765 posts, read 572,024 times
Quote:
They happen, here's some news stories, not all from this year:

Weather warnings issued as the first winter Antarctic blast arrives in south east Australia

Victoria weather: Snow falls, wind causes damage as 'classic Antarctic blast' crosses state - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Brisbane Weather: Icy blast an even chance of bringing snow to southern QLD

Winter 2015 draws to a close after months of extreme weather

Heavy snow blankets Jenolan Caves in western NSW as rain sets in for Sydney

Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 AM

11,646 posts, read 12,892,868 times
Quote:
Lesotho got those cold icy blasts, as I learned from this thread.

Of course, that was in its highlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather