Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 08:53 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

On my way to work this morning after a hard hit (yet small) Thunderstorm cell at 4am. Front was coming through, I knew what was behind it. SUN!

Front edge Looked better in person of course. My 6mth old phone starting to fade now. Ugh

Stamford, CT

Long Island in the distance from I-95 in CT

Actual Radar and Satellite at the time matched with a photo. I was facing West, Clouds were moving East. The Edge was pushing across the area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 09:55 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Yeah, but according to him because the Sabal palm is more cold hardy here it makes it look ugly. When in reality cidp are extremely cold hardy, one guy posted pictures of them surviving in El paso Texas after Temps dropped into the single digits. I won't lie though cidp have a much more massive look and are more recognizeable.
Here are some date palms for Tom.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
On my way to work this morning after a hard hit (yet small) Thunderstorm cell at 4am. Front was coming through, I knew what was behind it. SUN!

Must have been rather localized, NYC recorded zero rain last night. Neither did Farmingdale (Long Island almost directly south of you).

Old 06-21-2016, 02:56 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Eastern LI looked like it got hit pretty hard. I was also under the severe t-storm warning but I only ended up with 0.07". Grass is looking sad.

Attached Thumbnails
2016 Summer Photo Thread (Northern Hemisphere)-image.jpeg  

Old 06-21-2016, 05:47 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
Quote:
Nice recovery on your flooded Tomatoes. Wow! I don't think mine would never recover like that after that point.. I used to grow Romas, don't like them. Not enough to make sauce and not tasty enough for Sandwiches. You're gonna get a ripe one before me! lol
The tomatoes I posted previously weren't affected. Here are some pics of the ones in the lower spot that flooded. Most of them recovered but I had to pull up one. They still have some yellow leaves and brown spots, but overall they did better than I was expecting.

I picked a couple of ripe tomatoes the past few days!

Old 06-21-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Eastern LI looked like it got hit pretty hard. I was also under the severe t-storm warning but I only ended up with 0.07". Grass is looking sad.
The 1/4" helped but obviously wasn't enough. Ground gobbled it up then evaporated as we hit upper 80s today. Luckily 70s tomorrow then Rain Thursday so grass wont get progressively brown next few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Must have been rather localized, NYC recorded zero rain last night. Neither did Farmingdale (Long Island almost directly south of you).
Bridgeport only 0.07". Pittsfield 0.07". Worcester 0.26". New Bedford 1.13"

Here's a 4 hr radar loop from this morning to see where the rains and heavy downpours were.(reds)

Notice 2 things.

1. The Severe warned middle of the night storm south of Albany crossed into Southwest MA, weakened after the hills, and went just south of you. Just missing Hartford (Only 0.04" there!)

2. In SouthWest CT the 2 small tiny localized cells that popped up right over me which gave me the downpours and vivid lightning.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:17 PM

29,531 posts, read 19,620,154 times
https://twitter.com/Chigeorge72/stat...35627617845248

Old 06-22-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Check it out. 24hr Rain total Sunday 8am to Monday 8am. I circled where more than 0.20" of rain fell.

One spot near you but as I pointed out in my last post here, you can draw a line from that 0.42" in NY all the way down to Rhode Island and see the way the storms/rain moved. Only embedded thunderstorms along that line which my circles show well.

Then notice down here... the Thunderstorm literally developed right over me then headed to Eastern Long Island

Isn't it interesting no heavy rain fell in Southern NY and NYC like you mentioned, and missed the major airports like Hartford and Bridgeport and Islip? Funny. Scattered torrential downpours and thunderstorms

Old 06-22-2016, 07:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Check it out. 24hr Rain total Sunday 8am to Monday 8am. I circled where more than 0.20" of rain fell.

One spot near you but as I pointed out in my last post here, you can draw a line from that 0.42" in NY all the way down to Rhode Island and see the way the storms/rain moved. Only embedded thunderstorms along that line which my circles show well.

Then notice down here... the Thunderstorm literally developed right over me then headed to Eastern Long Island

Isn't it interesting no heavy rain fell in Southern NY and NYC like you mentioned, and missed the major airports like Hartford and Bridgeport and Islip? Funny. Scattered torrential downpours and thunderstorms
Yea, interesting how it skipped southern NY, if you looked at only the beginning of your radar loop, it would look like both would get hit.

I wasn't in Massachusetts, I was in NYC at the time. Earlier in the day, Long Island. Northport, almost directly across the south from your town in Fairfield County.

Cute harbor

Spoiler

Lots of fancy-looking 19th century homes along the waterfront. Well, the one on the right appears to be an apartment building

Nice gardens:

Local hill. Connecticut is off to the horizon

Now on to NYC. The usual jammed traffic on the BQE; this highway has a 40 mph, but reaching it is rare. I exited off and drove on local roads, dunno if it was faster

Walked in and around downtown Brooklyn. Street crowded with pedestrians but not with cars:

Spoiler

Got to the East River

Tiny park squeezed in

by the East River. The BQE is underneath.

on the other side. Nice back for city homes but too public.

Some bridge photos

Spoiler

The
watchtower with bridge blending in

Two bridges

find the bridge

park under bridge

The World Trade Center and 8 Beekman with plants

old car on old street

didn't check what the statue was about

no more room. Next train had plenty

Last edited by nei; 06-22-2016 at 04:38 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 02:49 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times
I am now in Bucharest, Romania. Just for fun, I had not been to Romania before. it is really hot here- just examined, today´s high was 35.4c. Day time temperatures when pictures were made were 33-35c.

On the horizon the most famous building here, that is of course the famous Nicolae Ceausescu palace.

In the old town:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather