Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 09:34 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,447,548 times

Advertisements

Thunderstorm approaching at sunset

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 10:14 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Sweet shot!

Old 06-24-2016, 07:54 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Yes, it is above average and according to wo the hottest weather in this year so far, afternoon humidity was 42% today.The area here has quite low altitude and seems that it warms up very well.

Some pictures from Constanta on the coast, nice scenery and it was really good to bathe in the Black Sea.

nice! That looks like a minaret in the distance. Are there old mosques in Romania?

Old 06-24-2016, 09:33 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,447,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Sweet shot!
Thanks, though it's a screenshot from a video. You can get some cool shots of lightning that way which would otherwise be difficult (or nearly impossible with a phone).

Old 06-24-2016, 10:14 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,441,996 times
Today we have decided to take another brief trip to the mont cenis lake, just on the other side of the Italy-France border line (and 30 minutes of car from my home). As usually we have been really lazy, and so we didn't go far from the main road Anyway, I tried to take some pictures.

This time the lake has much less water than usual because it remained empty for a couple of months during last spring, for maintenance reasons. And so we immediately decided to go in the areas that usually are under the water!

Weather situation:
last night low temp: 12.6°C = 55°F
today's high temp: 18.7°C = 66 °F
no rain
altitude: 2000 m = 6562 ft
(conversions are rounded)

Even if the temperature was not so high, the sun light (and probably the UV index too) were really strong, so we managed to go around in T shirt and short pants for all the time. We probably managed to get sunburn too, my arms hurts a lot...

(Note: I noticed that I've taken a lot of photos, so I will use spoilers)

Here there are a couple of pictures I took last year, when the water level was normal (for summer)

Spoiler

Here there are the photos I took today.

Spoiler

^usually those "islands" are completely under water

Here some photos took nearer to the water. All the grey parts, and some of the greenish ones too, are usually under the lake water.

Spoiler

^ in the last two pictures, the man next to the lake should be my dad

^In here some grass is starting to grow, but usually that area is underwater too.

Some other pictures:

Spoiler

The cows! The lake area is full of cows, their owner still bring them on the mountains during the summer as they did in the last centuries. The milk and cheese obtained by cows that eat mountain herbs and flowers tastes better too

Here I tried to take a brief video of the canal that gives water to the lake

Spoiler

^click on the picture for seeing the video

Finally, I've taken some pictures just on the border line between France and Italy (in corrispondence with "les échelles" (in here) and the plain part at its base.

Spoiler

From the top

From the base

Old 06-24-2016, 01:22 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The beginning of the end? Sycamore Trees could be going extinct here? Should they be called "sickamore"?

I been in touch with the Connecticut Plant Pathologist and here's what he said...

" There are many factors can cause thin canopy in late spring/ early summer, such as trees might be weakened by drought stress in last season, some leaf buds might be damaged during the winter, cold spring temperature might delay leaf opening, and anthracnose (a fungal disease) can cause defoliation. Did you see lot of defoliation? If no leaf drops, environmental factors are possible main causing agents for thin canopies of sycamore trees. If you see fallen leaves, please send them to us for disease diagnoses "

I found there was leaf droppings. So I sent in a few for examination. Will get the results this week and post back.

6 pictures to show it's not just 1 or 2 trees, its area wide, they all look sick. Pics taken June 10, 2016
Forgot to update!

Here is the reply back I got after I sent in the leaves for examination... Apparently they found a disease but made a conclusion it was the weather or drought last season that stressed them.

Why would they be the only trees showing this stress? Are they that susceptible or maybe we're catching the beginning of a long slow extinction of them in the area? We are in another drought now so chances of these trees surviving is getting slim. Goodbye Sycamores???

"Dear Mr. ___:

The sycamore samples that you sent to the Experiment Station have been examined for the presence of diseases. Upon examination, anthracnose was found on few leaves of the sample collected from ______ Ave., but no pathogens were found on the sample from _______ Street. Did you see a lot of early defoliation under those trees? Did you see full canopies of those trees in early spring? I saw many sycamore trees along roadsides had thin canopies, but I did not see much leaf falling. So, the results of examination and observations suggested that thin canopies on some sycamore trees were possibly because those trees did not leaf out this spring due to weather (drought last season and unusual winter temperatures) and tree conditions."

Sincerely,

Yonghao Li, PhD
Plant Pathologist
Dept. of Plant Pathology and Ecology
The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station

Guess what ....... I was in Southern NY today ..... Same thing. Oh Boy.

Current Drought Status. Goodbye Sycamores?

Old 06-24-2016, 01:40 PM

88 posts, read 51,681 times
Some great pictures on here as usual, so jealous of those mountains.

Forgot to post these pictures from a walk last weekend, was around 16C (60F) at the time.

Anyone know what the purple flowers are on the left here? Don't know much about plants (and trying to learn).

Old 06-24-2016, 01:41 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Thanks, though it's a screenshot from a video. You can get some cool shots of lightning that way which would otherwise be difficult (or nearly impossible with a phone).
I did that during a couple of recent t'storms but couldn't get any CTG strikes. I think the strikes were happening where I didn't have a good view.

I got some good shots from a storm in July 2014. //www.city-data.com/forum/35629375-post48.html

Old 06-24-2016, 01:50 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,214,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Forgot to update!

Here is the reply back I got after I sent in the leaves for examination... Apparently they found a disease but made a conclusion it was the weather or drought last season that stressed them.

Why would they be the only trees showing this stress? Are they that susceptible or maybe we're catching the beginning of a long slow extinction of them in the area? We are in another drought now so chances of these trees surviving is getting slim. Goodbye Sycamores???

"Dear Mr. ___:

The sycamore samples that you sent to the Experiment Station have been examined for the presence of diseases. Upon examination, anthracnose was found on few leaves of the sample collected from ______ Ave., but no pathogens were found on the sample from _______ Street. Did you see a lot of early defoliation under those trees? Did you see full canopies of those trees in early spring? I saw many sycamore trees along roadsides had thin canopies, but I did not see much leaf falling. So, the results of examination and observations suggested that thin canopies on some sycamore trees were possibly because those trees did not leaf out this spring due to weather (drought last season and unusual winter temperatures) and tree conditions."

Sincerely,

Yonghao Li, PhD
Plant Pathologist
Dept. of Plant Pathology and Ecology
The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station

Guess what ....... I was in Southern NY today ..... Same thing. Oh Boy.

Current Drought Status. Goodbye Sycamores?

Watch as you get a 6 inch storm in one day as remnants of a tropical storm come up to the Northeast next month.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacky View Post
Some great pictures on here as usual, so jealous of those mountains.

Anyone know what the purple flowers are on the left here? Don't know much about plants (and trying to learn).
Look like foxgloves. Nice photos - very green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Here's a couple I got from snooping around on the kid's camera. One shows the incoming storm and the other a ground strike. I think it was on Christmas day -no date set.
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Summer Photo Thread (Northern Hemisphere)-dscf0339.jpg   2016 Summer Photo Thread (Northern Hemisphere)-screen-shot-2016-06-25-7.58.57  

Last edited by Joe90; 06-24-2016 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather