Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 05:18 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodleman556 View Post
Oldest thing in my city is 1829, the year it was founded/colonised!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I didn't realise that Perth was that old. Nothing around here from before the late 1840s.
For me it is always strange to read how recent some settlements are

For example the oldest town in my valley, Susa, was founded by the Celts in an unknown year, more than 2000 years ago. The oldest building for which we know the year of realization is the Arch of Augustus, built in the year 8 BC when the town was annexed to the roman Empire.
For the alpine area it is quite old, but considering the rest of Italy it is not at all. A lot of cities in Italy, Rome included, were founded in the 8th century BC (so between year 800 and 700 BC), probably some are even older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
But what are the oldest homes people still live in? Seems like most "normal" buildings are much more recent than the founding date.

Oldest buildings in my area are from the early 1700s, though I think there might be a few 17th century buildings; eastern Massachusetts has more of them. Area was settle in the mid 1600s, but earliest buildings may have been too primitive to be kept. And there was native-settler warfare that was very destructive.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:06 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But what are the oldest homes people still live in? Seems like most "normal" buildings are much more recent than the founding date.

Oldest buildings in my area are from the early 1700s, though I think there might be a few 17th century buildings; eastern Massachusetts has more of them. Area was settle in the mid 1600s, but earliest buildings may have been too primitive to be kept. And there was native-settler warfare that was very destructive.
There are some abbeys that are still inhabited by monks that were founded before year 1000. These are the oldest building that have always had some inhabitants I can think off.

For example the construction of the nearest abbey (the one in Novalesa I showed you some pages ago) started in 726 and ended in the XI century. Anyway it underwent a lot of further modifications, if you read the history of the abbey it is a list of "the part xxx was rebuilt in the XVII century, the part yyy in the XVIII"... and so on. Anyway I'm sure that there are still a couple of walls of the XI century, because there are some famous paintings on them.

Churches are other building that have been used for centuries and centuries, a lot of churches underwent periodical conservation works, but in most cases they maintained their original structure and decorations.

There are also people who still live in old palaces and little castles, but this is probably even more unlikely than finding an old abbey or monastery with monks and/or nuns living in it.

Talking about regular houses that are still used as houses... that's an hard question. There are a lot of towns and cities in Italy that developed their historical centers during the middle ages, which means that a lot of streets and houses that you can still see nowadays are in the same position of the medieval ones. Some time they still look like the medieval ones (es San Gimignano)The problem is that those houses and streets underwent to a lot of restructuring works, more likely they have been completely or partially rebuilt at some point.

So the point is: how much of the original structure must survive for considering an house truly ancient?

Old 08-17-2016, 10:18 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
We've got pubs in York that are older than most cities on here! There's two pubs that first opened in the 1500's, and one of them, The Golden Fleece, is allegedly one of the most haunted buildings in the country.

York Minster was originally built over 1300 years ago, but the current building was built about 900 years ago.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:12 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
A few pic from this evening. Saw some black smoke while driving home (which looked like it was coming from the airport) and decided to investigate. Turned out it was just some fire on grassland, and had been extinguished by the time I got there.

Hazy conditions from the fire.

Kenyan 787.

Teasels and fennel.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:48 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Yikes! That burned spot reminds me of southern Italy.

Couple pics from SW France. It's mostly green down near the Pyrenees. It's been hot the past few days with highs around 33-34°C (low 90s °F) in the Piedmont. Today was quite a bit cooler but a tad muggy. You can see the haze.

Religious display at a crossroads.

Religious display on top of a hill. Corn is high and green.

Abandoned cog railway station. Most spa towns have seen better days.
Spoiler

This is supposed to be a breathtaking view over the Pyrenees. Well, at least the nice foreground is still visible.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:58 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

Couple pics from SW France. It's mostly green down near the Pyrenees. It's been hot the past few days with highs around 33-34°C (low 90s °F) in the Piedmont. Today was quite a bit cooler but a tad muggy. You can see the haze.

Religious display at a crossroads.

Religious display on top of a hill. Corn is high and green.

Abandoned cog railway station. Most spa towns have seen better days.
Spoiler

This is supposed to be a breathtaking view over the Pyrenees. Well, at least the nice foreground is still visible.
Nice! I love the Pyrenees. I drove through Andorra a few years ago, and wow, what a beautiful place. We drove down to Zaragoza, spent about 18 hours there, then decided to drive back north into France, stayed in Lyon for one day, then went back down into Spain again, where we spent the next three weeks.
Ridiculous really, but it was an awesome trip.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:08 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Oldest homes that people live in here would probably date back to the 1700s. Buildings before then have almost entirely been destroyed as the city grew rapidly when the industrial revolution started, and new homes were built to house the factory and mill workers.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:12 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
That sounds almost as silly as when Owen said that England's vegetation/scenery looked like Spain!

Old 08-17-2016, 08:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
From several days of bike riding in central & northern Vermont. First two days

======================================

evening in Randolph, Vermont. There's New York Pizza here:

morning from my tent:

field in the morning;

Spoiler

Randolph early in the morning Sunday was empty, much emptying than a Saturday evening. Though I doubt it's ever a hopping nightlife spot. Gas station coffee was the only coffee I found in town at 7:30 AM.

back of buildings

Some houses in town and a church

Spoiler

looks Scandividian

old mansion?

A local told me the pastor at another church was spending part of his summer on a mountaintop (or was it doing a long-distance hike?)

A nice flat, valley provided for nice riding

tiny house

unmowed grass in a field is so much more attractive than a huge lawn of mowed grass; a lot of houses had huge properties with enormous mowed lawn; looked bland and unnatural to me

Montpilier, Vermont

nice seating area

Cold front had passed through yesterday evening. A cool, dry airmass came in with a breeze. Eww, headwind! Clouds were building up from the "tail" of the front; I can't remember why that happens, but we often get billowing clouds after a cold front. In the cooler months, it can be lake effect but I doubt that's what's going on in the summer when the lake - air temperature difference is small and the airflow isn't even over the lake since I'm in central Vermont. Anyway, clouds were building up in the afternoon

Like most Vermont towns, Montpilier is built along a river. There was a big hill getting out of town. Older apartment buildings lining the river

river in the other direction

some storefront buildings

Spoiler

Montpilier is the state capital. Smallest state capital. Capitol building:

Houses in a residential neighborhood; looks like they could be in any older neighborhood in the northern US

Spoiler

out of town looking back. One of the mountains in the background might be tall.

out of town, clouds building

roadside america

quiet pond

Spoiler

sky is rather dark

about 10 minutes later it started pouring on me. First a few drops, then hard with a breeze. Areas to the north didn't get hit as hard, I had bad luck. Dried off in Hardwick, Vermont:

Impressive looking storm cloud shapes post-stormfor a not hot and humid day looking back.

non-stormy looking sky to the northeast

similar photo

Spoiler

cool barn? painting

evening glow on the hillsides

===========================================

Next morning had thick dew. Descended down the hill and found thick fog

Approaching Willoughby Lake.

Going to hike up hte peak on the right. From the top, those low mountains are the northen edge of the Green Mountains. The ones all the way on the right may be in Quebec, which would be about 30-35 miles away.

looking down the lake towards where I came from

Nice light on the lake, clouds building up again. Will it rain. Temperature is around 70°F

At the lakeshore on the south end of the lake. Some people were swimming in it, but with the wind and cool-ish temperatures going in the lake diddn't appeal to me. Surprisingly rocky for an area not near other mountains.

Spoiler

biked north along the lake shore. north shore of the lake. hills are less steep and rocky on this side

corn maze?

only got a few drops but it was threatening…

up and down

dirt road thru some empty forest

down a hill and out of the woods

Spoiler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather