Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The U.K. 47 36.43%
The U.S. South 82 63.57%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 02:47 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,484,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Why don't jacarandas grow here? It's not too cold, is not too wet.
Probably warm enough, but likely too wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 03:06 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,536,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Probably warm enough, but likely too wet.
Don't they grow in NZ and eastern Aus, which is a lot wetter than here? They grow in Sydney and Brisbane, which have more rainy days than I do.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:08 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,591,183 times
Do they have Jacarandas on the Scilly Isles? If they could grow anywhere in the UK, it would be there.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:16 PM

13,433 posts, read 8,969,003 times
Quote:
How about Albizzia? -almost as nice a tree.
Yep they do grow in the UK, but I think they only flower in the south...

Quote:
Why don't jacarandas grow here? It's not too cold, is not too wet.
I think it is a little too cold for them to be honest, they can take mild frosts, but I think only if the days after are reasonably warm, plus they need warmer weather in general to "kick start" them into growth I think... Similar to Queen palms, which survive the winter in mild parts of the UK, but refuse to put on much growth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Do they have Jacarandas on the Scilly Isles? If they could grow anywhere in the UK, it would be there.
No. Again I think the minimums are no problem, but the daytime highs & spring/summers are just that bit too cool...

Old 06-03-2016, 03:30 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,845,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Nope, they wont grow in the UK, I know some people that have tried...

And correct me if I'm wrong, it is more like 25F or they are killed back to the roots, so getting 21F every year isn't going to give you any Jacaranda worth anything.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:38 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,845,295 times
Quote:
I think the cold must be so much more damaging to plants there, because the winters are so much warmer. It doesn't get that cold here, but at the same time frost and ice is a big part of winter here and plants have get used to moderate cold, with the first frosts in mid autumn.

Jacarandas are great trees, but no Poinsettias unfortunately -they do grow from about the middle of the North Island north.

Hence I think that was my point about why China seems so much more broadleaf evergreen heavy compared to the US South when China has colder winter averages, but less extreme departures. When you have warmer winters, but then when extreme cold comes it can be much more damaging as the vegetation is not as dormant. Warmer temps in winter keep the vegetation from going into a deeper dormancy I think.

Maybe the South is deciduous heavy because North America has very little tropical landmass south of it, and a vast area of cold continental climates north of it (deciduous tree heavy). China has the direct land connection to Vietnam, etc. and the ease of tropical vegetation migrating over thousands of years from those tropical forests. US South doesn't. I think it is a combination of that plus the winter extremes.

By this point since the last ice age broadleaf evergreens should be expanding their natural range, but it seems the other way around.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:39 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,358,976 times
Depends where in the south.. Florida vs UK... UK. Louisiana vs UK.. UK.

However, eastern Tennesee, Kentucky, Virginia or North Carolina vs UK... South.

I like 4 seasons with hot summers, and winters that get snow. It's more likely to snow in Lexington, KY than London, England.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:04 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,358,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You can wear a face mask to cover your face at those temperatures, but it's not all that fun to have cloth right next to your face and nose. Even at milder temperatures, it's nice not to be all bundled and actually feel fresh air against your skin
I don't like to overdress. At about 20 F all I need is a nice coat, a sweater and shirt underneath, gloves or mittens, a hat, boots and pants. At 30 F, a regular sweater will do. Some people wear all this arctic gear for the mid 20s and it seems so silly.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:12 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,484,935 times
Quote:
Don't they grow in NZ and eastern Aus, which is a lot wetter than here? They grow in Sydney and Brisbane, which have more rainy days than I do.
Wet as in damp. Motueka gets 3X the winter rain of London, but extra sun and maximum temperatures mean the ground dry out quicker.

Last edited by Joe90; 06-03-2016 at 04:23 PM..

Old 06-03-2016, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 6,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I did.

Anahuac, TX 32F 2011
Houston NWSO 33F 2011
Houston Clover Field 32F 2011
Houston Hobby 33F 2011
Houston Sugarland 33F 2011
Houston Intercontinental Airport 31F 2011
Baytown, TX 32F 2011

The other areas around Houston had no data for 2011 or at all.

I'm sure you want me to include Galveston so even though it is further from Houston than all those listed here you go: 35F in 2011. Rather pathetic given Galveston averages and location.

And I like how you state "most areas in Houston haven't had an ice day in decades" leaving out the part that the three listed above had a high temp of 33F. Those areas sure got no where near an ice day lol. Hmmm, I wonder how many hours they were below freezing that day.

What's up? Looks like you just joined city data tonight at 10:59pm.
Please sit down, a place either recorded an ice-day, or it didn't, simple as that. All the subtropical plants survived (queen palms and pygmy dates too).

Quote:
I don't think that is correct. Looking on UK garden forums, and it seems as though places milder than annual 20F minimums don't grow them, as it's too wet.

If they can grow there ( I haven't found any yet), I doubt it will be with ease.
Maybe summers have to be warmer in the UK (and your location); they grow even in southern Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather