U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The U.K. 44 35.77%
The U.S. South 79 64.23%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 10:25 PM

11,584 posts, read 7,838,875 times

Advertisements

Would the East Coast have a better climate if the current off the coast of Florida was cold instead of warm? I read that the contrast in water temps gives the eastern US such instability. Otherwise NYC would have the same climate as Madrid or Toulouse, and Miami would have the same climate as Porto Alegre or Sydney
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 10:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,032 posts, read 11,118,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Would the East Coast have a better climate if the current off the coast of Florida was cold instead of warm? I read that the contrast in water temps gives the eastern US such instability. Otherwise NYC would have the same climate as Madrid or Toulouse, and Miami would have the same climate as Porto Alegre or Sydney
Doesn't work that way, it is because between around 30-60° lattitude winds are predominately from the west, so on the east side of continents, it is a wind from the interior

Old 06-03-2016, 10:57 PM

9 posts, read 5,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Doesn't work that way, it is because between around 30-60° lattitude winds are predominately from the west, so on the east side of continents, it is a wind from the interior
That is from late fall-early spring. In the warm-season in the subtropics, however, that all lifts away to higher latitudes, and subtropic weather patterns dominate.

A cool current of the eastern coast of a continent would only limit precip, since the cool water is stable. You then get desert: see Patagonia.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:45 AM
B87

11,786 posts, read 9,046,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I've lived in both. I'll take the UK for it's lack of pollen allergies, although the South wins for fried chicken and biscuits.
The UK is one of the worst places for pollen allergies.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,845 times
the US South

Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 AM

12,485 posts, read 11,991,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstName-LastName View Post
Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, etc all can grow jacaranda trees with no problem; these cities rarely drop below 20F, and haven't done so in decades. Jacaranda is a zone 9 plant, meaning that it can take temps down to the 20F ranges.

Jacaranda do not survive long term in NOLA. That is fact.

Here is far more proof than you ever provide. I'm quite sure the gardening editor of NOLA's largest newspaper knows more than you about what grows there and what doesn't.

Keep these ne'er-do-well plants out of your South Louisiana garden | NOLA.com

Too much cold can also be an issue. When people travel to tropical areas, they often want to grow some of the plants they see. I have been asked most about two trees, jacaranda (Jacaranda mimosifolia) and royal poinciana (Delonix regia). Although planted numerous times in the New Orleans area, neither has survived for the long term because of occasional hard freezes. So they are unreliable for our landscapes.

Is that enough proof for you? Stop lying on this forum about what grows in the South.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 8,269,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Is that enough proof for you? Stop lying on this forum about what grows in the South.
Is Joe90 lying?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:32 AM

3,314 posts, read 1,852,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Is Joe90 lying?
It's the cold epoch guy.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,157,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
LOL, I dont care that doesn't bother me. What does is how emotional and whiny they get. These are grown men mostly! One guy said he had to couldnt sleep because of how excited he was over a snowstorm, nothing wrong with the excitement but what happens when it doesn't verify.... go through there in the winter it's hectic.
I've heard (from this forum) about certain weather forums that "discriminate" warm lovers. Even a poster once stated that the mods deleted any warmth anomaly chart hreads, while cold charts remain exist... I don't know if that's true though.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 AM

12,283 posts, read 8,269,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder98 View Post
It's the cold epoch guy.
I was talking about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It wouldn't matter if they did die off occasionally there. They would soon grow back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather