Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The U.K. 47 36.43%
The U.S. South 82 63.57%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:04 AM

13,459 posts, read 8,998,894 times

Advertisements

But they wouldn't grow back if they got hit by hard freezes & they would never grow big enough between freezes to set seed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 08:07 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,568,694 times
Strange how jacarandas struggle, yet CIDP, eucalyptus and acacia does well, and sets seed.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:12 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,889,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
But they wouldn't grow back if they got hit by hard freezes & they would never grow big enough between freezes to set seed...
Dan Gill knows what will work in NOLA. He is well respected. You just don't see any large ones in NOLA. Sooner or later they get killed back. Just isn't worth it.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:47 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,585,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Is Joe90 lying?
I don't know how well they grow over there, but somewhere like New Orleans has only only dropped to -6C in the last 10 years.. Even if - 6C did kill them, all the other nine years only had three years below freezing, so I think it would be well worth growing them as growth would be rapid.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:52 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,391,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't know how well they grow over there, but somewhere like New Orleans has only only dropped to -6C in the last 10 years.. Even if - 6C did kill them, all the other nine years only had three years below freezing, so I think it would be well worth growing them as growth would be rapid.
True, places in the nc outer Banks here should try them, especially nags head and Cape hatteras. Zone 9a climates. Cape Hatteras has a higher yearly min temp than savannah.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
True, places in the nc outer Banks here should try them, especially nags head and Cape hatteras. Zone 9a climates. Cape Hatteras has a higher yearly min temp than savannah.
So none of you believe the garden editor in New Orleans? Trust me if people could grow them there they would be all over the city. People have known about them for decades. Trust Dan Gill, he knows more than the folks on this forum about what can grow in New Orleans.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Hatters averages 1 ice day per year and got 3 in 2010 and 2 in 2014. Right there you are talking severe damage due to number of hours below freezing.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,585,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
So none of you believe the garden editor in New Orleans? Trust me if people could grow them there they would be all over the city. People have known about them for decades. Trust Dan Gill, he knows more than the folks on this forum about what can grow in New Orleans.
I do, but it's so warm there, that they would be worth growing even if just for a few years. I haven't paid a lot of attention to Jacarandas here (apart from flowering), but I would think they grow at the same rate as Albizzias - 20 ft in 3-5 years and flowering in the first year.

Some goes for citrus -modern cultivars are such fast producers, that they will be fruiting in the first year. It doesn't matter if they die after five years.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:46 PM

13,459 posts, read 8,998,894 times
I think Jacaranda generally need frost free climates, large mature trees can take the odd dip to below freezing temperatures, as low as -6C, but they are essentially a subtropical tree... They also seem to take lower temperatures better in dry winter climates, if the winters are wet then your winters need to be mild & have fairly warm daytime highs too. This I think is why they wont grow in the UK, even in mild areas...

Old 06-04-2016, 03:30 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,209,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstName__LastName View Post
Yeah, but looking at the winter minimums for the past two decades, jacarandas seem to have a reasonable chance in New Orleans, Houston, and Jacksonville.

New Orleans is a micro-climate by the lake; Houston can build up into a giant megapolis, which creates UHI to keep the jacarandas warm.

Both New Orleans and Houston were frostless this past winter, and have many areas that remain frostless many winters. Jacarandas will survive.
Why are you keep making new accounts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather