U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The U.K. 44 35.77%
The U.S. South 79 64.23%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 04:43 PM

1,058 posts, read 417,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
It can be quite gloomy in winter, but not all the time. A lot of the gloom stereotypes come from days when there was bad pollution due to coal burning etc.. The stereotype may have a grain of truth even today, but I'm not sure why people so often associate that with low visibility type conditions, visibility is usually very good here in winter. The way some people talk about the British climate in winter you'd think you could barely see more than 100 yards infront of you!

As someone who actually lives here, I'd say it's the short daylengths and low sun angle that contribute most to the feel of it ever being "darker" in winter, because it literally IS dark rfom about 8:30 to 4:00 here in Northern England. Southern England (lived there for 12 years) was rather brighter. Anyway, we get to compensate in summer with very nice long days and sunsets at 10:00 and beyond, with comfortable temperatures. So I'm not bothered.
I don't associate gloom with low visibility distance. I associate gloom with low LIGHT LEVELS, as in how bright/dark it is.

Also, that is true about the summer days being long. However, sun angle would be lower in all seasons, and UV index by extension. Not to mention I prefer less difference between seasons in some ways anyways, especially daylight. And don't forget, as I live near Nashville (in the subtropics) and even consider our winters to be almost grey, I would basically consider pretty much anywhere even a few degrees further north than here to be grey, unless it was only about 5 degrees further north and had a very high percent possible sunshine (which would make it continental and thus nasty).

I think we will have to agree to disagree. You prefer the mid-latitude U.K., I prefer the low-latitude U.S. Sun Belt, and it's fine to have your own opinions as long as it doesn't negatively affect others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 04:46 PM

3,562 posts, read 920,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I don't associate gloom with low visibility distance. I associate gloom with low LIGHT LEVELS, as in how bright/dark it is.
I didn't say you personally did. I was referring to the people who perpetuate the fog myth and started with ("a lot of the gloom stereotypes come from....."). And try not to capitalise words like that, it comes across a bit aggressive.

Quote:
Also, that is true about the summer days being long. However, sun angle would be lower in all seasons, and UV index by extension. Not to mention I prefer less difference between seasons in some ways anyways, especially daylight. And don't forget, as I live near Nashville (in the subtropics) and even consider our winters to be almost grey, I would basically consider pretty much anywhere even a few degrees further north than here to be grey, unless it was only about 5 degrees further north and had a very high percent possible sunshine (which would make it continental and thus nasty).
Bright enough for me in April and all of summer here. My God today was bright and burning on my eyes and it was only April 11.

Last edited by Eman Resu VIII; 04-11-2020 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
I didn't say you personally did. I was referring to the people who perpetuate the fog myth and started with ("a lot of the gloom stereotypes come from....."). And try not to capitalise words like that, it comes across a bit aggressive.
Sorry. I thought you were referring to me too and didn't mean to come across as aggressive.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:05 PM

3,562 posts, read 920,184 times
Well I sometimes do it too and have to try and "tone down" my posts sometimes.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:56 AM

674 posts, read 197,815 times
Climates of UK are better, because they have cooler and cloudier summers, colder winters and lower UV indexes.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimkin199 View Post
Climates of UK are better, because they have cooler and cloudier summers, colder winters and lower UV indexes.
They have colder winters than most of the Deep South, but compared to the Upland South they're actually a bit milder (just without the warm and cold snaps the U.S. South gets).

Old 04-16-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
They have colder winters than most of the Deep South, but compared to the Upland South they're actually a bit milder (just without the warm and cold snaps the U.S. South gets).

I think there is no much difference between winter temperatures of Upland South and UK. (I think UK is slightly cooler than Upland South, because UK has climate like Lerwick with somewhat cold winters. There aren't much climates in Upland South with subfreezing winters)

Old 04-16-2020, 02:26 PM

10,383 posts, read 8,672,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimkin199 View Post
I think there is no much difference between winter temperatures of Upland South and UK. (I think UK is slightly cooler than Upland South, because UK has climate like Lerwick with somewhat cold winters. There aren't much climates in Upland South with subfreezing winters)
I don't think Lerwick has cold winters (relative to the rest of the UK)!?

Old 04-16-2020, 03:07 PM

26,083 posts, read 15,809,648 times
How is this even a fair battle? Lol

Old 04-17-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't think Lerwick has cold winters (relative to the rest of the UK)!?

I say somewhat cold winters. There aren't many climates in Upland South with winter averages below freezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather