Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The U.K. 47 36.43%
The U.S. South 82 63.57%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:20 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,608,146 times

Advertisements

I think there are places on the Scottish coast that get fewer frosts than Raleigh per year let alone London. I seem to remember one recent winter where there was an island at 56-57N that got no frosts the entire winter but its name escapes me at the moment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 07:29 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,156,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think there are places on the Scottish coast that get fewer frosts than Raleigh per year let alone London. I seem to remember one recent winter where there was an island at 56-57N that got no frosts the entire winter but its name escapes me at the moment

and i bet it has ***** summers that rarely get above 20C and you'd still pick it over Raleigh in a climate battle.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:32 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,379,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
And you failed to mention the other frosts not in that period lol... Quite OK for you to accuse people from the UK of trying to make the climate there seem warmer though isn't it

And you clearly did make a false statement which you were called out on, no trolling from me...
I rightfully accused those people though. One guy tried to say London regularly gets humid heat which is wrong. I never said anything wrong about Raleigh. We were talking about winter nights , that why I only mentioned winter, had yall asked I would have includes those months. So no valid argument to back up your claim. Keep trying, I have yet to hear incriminating evidence lmao.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
and i bet it has ***** summers that rarely get above 20C and you'd still pick it over Raleigh in a climate battle.
No he wouldn't, the south is terribly frigid, an ice box compared to Vancouver . Anything but the south.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I'd still pick Raleigh because I think the only palm that area could grow would be Windmill palm and that's only in a good microclimate if you are lucky. I could grow much more in Raleigh despite having more frosts.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I'm just wondering the amount of below freezing nights a year in both London and Raleigh for comparison. London didn't get the benefit of a warm December like we did here. I don't even think London can even remotely use the term "warm" for anything from October till April, IMO.

I couldn't find any stats on London; it was a bit foggy

Again, I find it hard to believe that London gets less frost nights a year on average than Raleigh.

On a different note, I like your thumbs up Smilie. It makes me feel positive despite the daunting task of looking up Londons below freezing nights a year. Here, now do it for me. Lol
They get less freezing nights than us, maybe less than Columbia too. It's the nature of oceanic climates. Temperatures hardly move at all lol. They have come closers to summer frosts than we have though, I once read a report that one July a location recorded graupel just north of london, it wasn't official though.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
No he wouldn't, the south is terribly frigid, an ice box compared to Vancouver . Anything but the south.
It would be harder for me to choose between Raleigh and Vancouver but I still would give Raleigh the edge for my preferences.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:40 PM

17,133 posts, read 11,980,975 times
Quote:
That's paradise to me. 75f/23c is about all the heat I want to tolerate. But I also don't want negative temps in winter. So the Pacific Northwest is the best place I've found so far. Though there are some days/weeks in summer that get way too hot. Topped out at 109 last year in a record.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:46 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,157,378 times
Quote:
Far better than spending a summer melting in Raleigh or anywhere else down south.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,156,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Far better than spending a summer melting in Raleigh or anywhere else down south.

Some people prefer cooler summers but poll after poll on here shows that most people have a preference for summers with highs in the 80sF vs. highs less than 20C as well as warm convective downpours as opposed to continuous cold overcast drizzle. I've seen multiple climate polls that pit cool summers against warm summers where the winters are fairly similar and warm summers always win by a landslide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather