Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate this climate
A 3 9.09%
B 9 27.27%
C 9 27.27%
D 7 21.21%
E 2 6.06%
F 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:33 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

I give Sparta a B, nice climate, but not ideal for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Imo Orangeburg looks quite similar to here in the same month lol.

https://goo.gl/maps/YpRdRiqdHCK2

https://goo.gl/maps/1RC2reT732Q2

And not a palm in sight.
Here you go again cherry picking random areas lol. I just entered Orangeburg, SC on the Google Maps app and I went down a random street and counted 6-7 palms on the first block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 03:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Here you go again cherry picking random areas lol. I just entered Orangeburg, SC on the Google Maps app and I went down a random street and counted 7 palms on the first block.
Yeah, I think he has an obsession with cold snaps. In Phoenix, on New Years day last year, we only got up to 46 which was 20 degrees below the normal high of 66, but I didn't gripe because it was only one day, we rebounded to 54 the next day, and by the 7th (only 6 days later) we got up to 81, which was 14 above the normal 67. It's more about avg's than extremes, otherwise, Miami wouldn't have coconut palms as an example

Old 06-07-2016, 03:40 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I give Sparta a B, nice climate, but not ideal for me.

Here you go again cherry picking random areas lol. I just entered Orangeburg, SC on the Google Maps app and I went down a random street and counted 6-7 palms on the first block.

Actually not. The palms are the rare locations if you go up and down the streets. I saw those sabal palmettos. Again, they are one of the most cold hardy palms. I am just making a point about what a Jan low of 38F means here in eastern N. America, vs much of the rest of the world.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yeah, I think he has an obsession with cold snaps. In Phoenix, on New Years day last year, we only got up to 46 which was 20 degrees below the normal high of 66, but I didn't gripe because it was only one day, we rebounded to 54 the next day, and by the 7th (only 6 days later) we got up to 81, which was 14 above the normal 67. It's more about avg's than extremes, otherwise, Miami wouldn't have coconut palms as an example

There is no way the standard deviation in Phoenix is anywhere near the winter standard deviation here in the East. I've already checked it and your standard deviation on winter temps is lower than ours. More like a realist about the terrible climates in the eastern US, and yeah I think they are terrible given the summer heat we have and the low latitude and elevation. Most of the rest of the world does much better imo. It is rather disappointing when you realize you lost the climate lottery.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:31 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Agreed. While Phoenix is more stable than here, our extremes normally don't deviate more than 20 degrees from average. Averages matter most, although extremes do help dictate which plants can and can't survive long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Actually not. The palms are the rare locations if you go up and down the streets. I saw those sabal palmettos. Again, they are one of the most cold hardy palms. I am just making a point about what a Jan low of 38F means here in eastern N. America, vs much of the rest of the world.
They aren't all over the place, but they're not rare. Sabal palmettos are relatively cold hardy, but that doesn't detract from their tropical/subtropical aesthetic. You could have other Sabal, Butia, Trachycarpus, Rhapidophyllum, Chamaerops, Nannorrops, etc. growing as well, maybe even the odd Washingtonia. Orangeburg is a borderline 8a/8b, there's a lot you can grow with that.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:56 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
There are tons of palm trees being planted every time I drive thru that state, I guess if you put it on your state flag you need to plant it. coolest state flag out there, crescent moon, palm tree in a indigo field. most state flags are awful

Wish they still had alot of the indigo production

Sparta is a solid B, would be higher with more rain in the summer

Old 06-07-2016, 06:49 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,439 times
B-/C+ territory: needs more summer rain and slightly sunnier and warmer winters.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:00 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
There are tons of palm trees being planted every time I drive thru that state, I guess if you put it on your state flag you need to plant it. coolest state flag out there, crescent moon, palm tree in a indigo field. most state flags are awful

Wish they still had alot of the indigo production

Sparta is a solid B, would be higher with more rain in the summer
I should have rated it an A for being the most right wing and conservative city in greece even today ( Laconia was the region with the highest proportion of "yes" votes (which was supported by the conservative party) in the 2015 bailout referendum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta_(modern) ) and its amazing history, I went to to a southern school with spartan mascots and loved the spartan history, we had to learn the greco /roman history during sports ed class when you wrestled.

amazing city and history, macedonia and sparta were much better than the athenians in battle.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:06 AM

151 posts, read 146,584 times
btw Sparta is full of palm trees.Mostly hardy ones but still the whole city is heavily decorated with palms.I am surprised that these manage to survive the winter lows and the very pronounced summer heat.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:12 AM

151 posts, read 146,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

amazing city and history, macedonia and sparta were much better than the athenians in battle.
That's why Sparta won the war against Athens.However Athens out survived Sparta in the long run due to its impact on western culture.Today Athens is a bustling metropolis while Sparta remains a small and unimportant city of Southern Greece.

It would be interesting to have a climate battle between Sparta and Athens.I choose Athens by far.Much healthier and far more pleasing climate,way higher minimums year round(bit too high during the summer),significant less rainfall,a bit lower summer maxes and sunnier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather