Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 05:55 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,460,237 times

Advertisements

About the only non desert part of the US comparable to India is Deep South Texas from McAllen to Eagle Pass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 06:53 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,235,199 times
I think I wouldn't bother with clothing aside from underwear.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:54 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,649,276 times
As a country, maybe, but there are also other climates like that:

Mérida, Mexico
N'Djamena, Chad
Yangon, Myanmar
Kununurra, Australia

Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 AM

110 posts, read 129,384 times
Certainly.

Delhi – marginally semi-arid or dry subhumid, though it varies from arid to humid in different years because the driest year of 1929 had just 261 millimetres and the wettest year of 1933 saw 1,583 millimetres – is much hotter than anywhere in the US outside of the desert southwest. It averages over 40˚C (over 105˚F) in May and June during the “hot season” (pre-monsoon). I recall a period one June where Delhi never fell below 30˚C or 86˚F overnight for over a week.

In fact the globe’s highest wet-bulb temperatures, including hot marginal sea coast deserts and the perhumid tropics, occur in the Indo-Gangetic Plain where 30˚C (86˚F) wet-bulb is normally reached every year. That is only 4˚C or 7˚F below what scientists consider uninhabitable, and it is generally believed wet-bulb temperatures above this lethal threshold allowed reptiles to dominate over mammals and birds throughout the Mesozoic.

No wonder the British moved the capital of the Indian Raj to Shimla (which has a very good climate by Asian standards and is one of the very few places in Asia that possibly does not have worse weather than England). Moving from a 40˚C sauna to a merely very warm 25˚C must have been a delight not only for them, but those wealthier Indians who could afford it.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:57 AM

1,186 posts, read 957,322 times
I was in Delhi last November, but temps were still hovering around 30˚C and hazy. Summer is brutal, so I try to avoid visiting at that time of year. The coastal areas were far more tolerable - I'd say Dec-Jan is ideal.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:51 AM

1,184 posts, read 1,355,855 times
India would be up there for sure, even though this statement sounds a bit imprecise.
Some parts of India are cool, even cold! Some parts are true deserts. How is it defined its heat? Annual average? Average of the hottest month? From where? Nevertheless, among non-desert Köppen areas must have the place with the hottest month in terms of average temperature, and the most extensive area where in at least a month temperature rises above 30ºC.

If we stick to annual averages, and exclude highlands, other countries come to my mind, such as Thailand. Bangkok is really hellish. Maybe the hottest wet tropical place in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mianfei View Post
In fact the globe’s highest wet-bulb temperatures, including hot marginal sea coast deserts and the perhumid tropics, occur in the Indo-Gangetic Plain where 30˚C (86˚F) wet-bulb is normally reached every year. That is only 4˚C or 7˚F below what scientists consider uninhabitable, and it is generally believed wet-bulb temperatures above this lethal threshold allowed reptiles to dominate over mammals and birds throughout the Mesozoic.
Do you have any sources supporting this?
It sounds... a bit off to me, and not very accurately.

In the last 400 million years, there were two especially hot periods. One of them occured during the Eocene epoch, some 45 million years ago, once the reign of the mammals had already started. It didn't affect them at all. Quite the opposite, they developed profoundly, diversifying into virtually all the current existing groups. The other hot period occured around the Permotriassic extinction, some 240 millions years ago. It was quite different from the Eocene one. Whereas in the other the wet tropical climates flourished, in the lower Triassic, when there was the supercontinent Pangaea, land was mostly arid and probably very continental. In that time, synapsid reptiles, the ancestors of the mammals, ruled the Earth.

Both mammals and birds are homeothermic, as their ancestors probably were; many of those synapsid reptiles, and many dinosaurs (most Theropods, hard to say about the others), which by the way ruled the Earth for most of the Mesozoic.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:06 PM

77,786 posts, read 59,941,914 times
Due to India also extending far to the north I have no doubt that some other small tropical countries are on average hotter given the parameters of the discussion.

But yeah, those parts of India get pretty hot without being a desert.

I'd think some central African countries would be strong contenders especially if away from the oceans cooling effects.
Maybe someplace like Burkina Faso, CAR, South Sudan etc.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:40 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,676,091 times
The hottest Cities of India by mean temperature:

http://www.imd.gov.in/section/climat...e/nellore2.htm
http://www.imd.gov.in/section/climat...me/ongole2.htm

Warmest City in India by Average High:

http://www.imd.gov.in/section/climat...titlagarh2.htm

Last edited by Guajara; 06-15-2016 at 12:57 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 02:16 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,416,413 times
Ok I will now stop complaining that my AC won't keep my house under 80 on some summer days.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:06 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,045,804 times
I'm travelling through India at the moment. Bangalore was fairly comfortable due to being 900 m above sea level. Hyderabad was hot but not too humid. Mumbai is just like Bangkok except without the widespread AC that makes Bangkok tolerable. Tomorrow I'm going to the desert state of Rajasthan which should be very hot but also dry.

Despite the heat nearly everyone wears jeans and long sleeves. The women wear full traditional dress comprised of several layers. No one seems to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather