Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the solar minimum plunge the plains and Midwest back into a mini ice age?
The plains and Midwest will likely remain a four season continental climate despite a quiet sun 17 65.38%
I think it’s possible the Midwest and plains could Become cooler than present but likely not another ice age 5 19.23%
I think that it is a distinct possibility that the plains and Midwest will eventually become glaciated again, within a century or so 1 3.85%
Other opinions(please say why you chose this option in this poll) 3 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 05:00 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,218,847 times

Advertisements

So with the news of this solar minimum in the early 21st century, do I have to worry about Indianapolis and the rest of the Midwest for that matter to become subarctic or even a full fledged glacial period, even if just a mini ice age? Or will climate change undo any cooling that a dead sun will have on the Midwest climate? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 05:07 PM

30,437 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Get over the ice age stuff. Not gonna happen in 140 lifetimes anywhere on the planet.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:38 PM

I personally think that it’s highly unlikely the Midwest and Great Plains will revert to a glaciated state, I feel that worst case scenario the plains and Midwest might become subarctic, but I feel this is still unlikely to happen, at least in our lifetimes. IMHO the most likely outcome would be for the Midwest to remain a continental climate in spite of reduced solar output.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:39 AM

1,248 posts, read 825,635 times
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/solar...orecast-update

The solar cycle has a period of ~11 years. Why are you expecting this solar minimum to have a greater effect than any of the others over the past century?

Old 06-06-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/solar...orecast-update

The solar cycle has a period of ~11 years. Why are you expecting this solar minimum to have a greater effect than any of the others over the past century?
Some alarmists are claiming that this will be a prolonged minimum similar to what occurred in the 1600’s or 1700’s. My question then is do people think that greenhouse emissions and other factors such as urban sprawl will negate the cooling effects of a quiet sun.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:47 AM

1,248 posts, read 825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Some alarmists are claiming that this will be a prolonged minimum similar to what occurred in the 1600’s or 1700’s. My question then is do people think that greenhouse emissions and other factors such as urban sprawl will negate the cooling effects of a quiet sun.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...aunder-minimum

Indianapolis has 7 months with daily mean above 10C and 3 of these are above 20C. I see no way there would be enough cooling to make this a subarctic climate, what a strange notion!

Old 06-06-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...aunder-minimum

Indianapolis has 7 months with daily mean above 10C and 3 of these are above 20C. I see no way there would be enough cooling to make this a subarctic climate, what a strange notion!
Still, ANY amount of climate cooling would be detrimental to the corn belt, as parts of the corn belt even now are marginal for the production of corn wheat and soybeans. I suspect the corn belt possibly would either no longer be in the Midwest or at minimum would shift significantly south from its present location

Old 06-06-2020, 02:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
It is believed that 14,000 years or so that glaciers cut through the pacific north west and midwest of the US from the north pole because a huge asteroid or comet slammed into the area that caused the melting of huge glaciers built up 30k years ago during the last ice age. There is no human force capable of such impact that caused major glaciers to crack and melt which lead to a huge flood and carried remaining glaciers cutting through America creating the grand canyons and many other spectacular natural rock formations.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:40 PM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
The "Perfect Storm" concept is a qualitative expression that says some disaster only happens when several different factors all coincide at a most inopportune time....Quantitatively, it corresponds to the coincidental alignment of the nadirs of several different cyclic factors that have different periods, so usually add up to a more "normal" value. (Wave interference in high school Physics class, anyone?)

Ice Ages probably occur because several factors like the precession of the Earth's axis, precession of it's elliptical orbit, oceanic cycles and even maybe the precession of the Sun's orbit around the galaxy all add together at the right time to give very cold conditions.

Things like the very short (in geologic time spans) period of the Sun's sunspot cycles, or the unpredictable occurrence of asteroid strikes or volcanic activity have limited effect on climate changes that last 10s of 1000s of years....Even the Younger Dryas Period, which may well have been caused by an asteroid strike, was really just a 1000 yr "speed bump" in the general warming/loss of glaciers coming out of the last Ice Age and would most likely have given us a colder weather, but not a return to glaciation had it occurred more recently.

Our recent experience with reduced use of fossil fuels for the past 3 months still has [co2] levels climbing at Mauna Loa-- supporting the idea that human contributions to GHG effects are minimal to non-existent. Rising co2 levels are most likely an effect of warming, not a cause.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:39 PM

30,437 posts, read 21,280,188 times
The more ice melt the more C02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather